Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree9Likes

VBC Racing D08

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 08:57 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
I don't think it would be a straight bolt on option without modifications. The bulkhead screws are spaced closer together. At least thats what I found when I tried a D08 deck on the D09. I have one coming so I can try it on both cars and report back.

I do think they would have stated that it would work on either car if possible though.
I wouldn't mind hearing how the new vertical deck works on the black crc carpet when you get around to testing it out Gary...

Jon
Old 03-08-2017, 08:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Juniorabca
I wouldn't mind hearing how the new vertical deck works on the black crc carpet when you get around to testing it out Gary...

Jon
I can now confirm that the vertical deck will NOT work on the D08, the screw holes are definitely closer on the D09. I haven't run it yet, but I bolted it on, and boy does the chassis have a lot of lateral flex, yet still stiff front to back.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:23 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Need little help here...

I have found a tweak in my car, I can't seem to figure out where it's coming from.. I've saw from previous posts to flip the upper deck but I have loosen all the screws from bulkheads, upper deck and all others yet when I put it on my glass board, rear of the car is not flat.. can't be bulkheads could it? I have loosen all the screws.

could it be the actual chassis? anyone else experience this?

BTW car performs awesome! but this tweak is bothering me LOL

TIA!
Old 03-29-2017, 12:37 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by 1shnot
Need little help here...

I have found a tweak in my car, I can't seem to figure out where it's coming from.. I've saw from previous posts to flip the upper deck but I have loosen all the screws from bulkheads, upper deck and all others yet when I put it on my glass board, rear of the car is not flat.. can't be bulkheads could it? I have loosen all the screws.

TIA!
Is it a aluminum chassis or graphite? It could be a bulkhead though.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Need little help here...

TIA!
Are you using all 6 motor mount screws?
If answer yes, do you have 1mm spacers on the outer screws. If you use the outer motor mount screws with out spacers it will twist the chassis
Old 03-29-2017, 12:46 PM
Tech Addict

Graphite ...

I have loosen all the screws from front and rear bulkheads and tested it..
only thing I haven't done is flip over the top deck and tighten it down to see if it worked.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:47 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by AlexPate
Are you using all 6 motor mount screws?
If answer yes, do you have 1mm spacers on the outer screws. If you use the outer motor mount screws with out spacers it will twist the chassis
I only use 2 screws for the motor mount front and rear
Old 03-29-2017, 02:21 PM
Tech Elite

Graphite ...

I have loosen all the screws from front and rear bulkheads and tested it..
only thing I haven't done is flip over the top deck and tighten it down to see if it worked.
I'd try the top deck first. checking for bent bulkheads will involve total removal from the chassis, almost like building the car from scratch. Placing each bulkhead on a flat surface to make sure they are flat.

How bad is the tweak, less than 1mm or bigger? Did you loosen the shock tower screws as well? It could also be a bent upper bulkhead brace. Are you using aluminum screws in the top of the car, they sometimes can bend and cause tweak.
Old 03-30-2017, 07:22 AM
Tech Addict

Thanks everyone for the input...

It appears when I take the rear shock tower off tweak goes away, so looks like it could be it's rear bulkhead, however when I take the shock tower off with all the screws tight, no tweak

Anyways, it drives st8 without wiping out on corners so I guess i'll leave it alone. Just thinking how much better it would be without this tweak business
Old 03-30-2017, 09:18 AM
Tech Elite

Thanks everyone for the input...

It appears when I take the rear shock tower off tweak goes away, so looks like it could be it's rear bulkhead, however when I take the shock tower off with all the screws tight, no tweak

Anyways, it drives st8 without wiping out on corners so I guess i'll leave it alone. Just thinking how much better it would be without this tweak business
I hear you, just something to mess with your head. Its probably one of the upper bulkhead clamps that is bent. Why I don't have one after all the wall hits I've had is beyond me, maybe I'm crashing the right way, LOL.
Old 03-30-2017, 11:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I too had this issue for sometime. I was racking my brain trying to figure out how to fix it. I found out that the upper bulkhead caps have a big influence on the spacing on the lower bulkheads. If this is done wrong this will cause the upper deck to tweak and ultimately the chassis to have a tweak.

Take the upper bulkhead cap assembly off.

What I did was I loosened the shock tower screws allowing the upper bulkhead caps to be loose. Then I set the upper bulkhead spacing for 19 mm and carefully tightened the shock towers screws down in a X pattern. Then I take the other shock assembly and place it on top of the already completed one and used it as a template.

I then loosen the lower bulkheads to prepare for the upper assembly to be mounted to it.

Once both upper cap assemblies are finished I then place them on the lower assembly and screw them down.

I don't screw the lower assembly to the chassis just yet. I then place the upper deck on and screw it down slightly. What I mean by this is that there should be some up and downward movement of the upper deck.

Once the two bulkheads are loosely connected by the upper deck I then flip the chassis upside down. (Take off body posts for this)

I then have the chassis upside down and using the shock towers as points of contact on a flat surface. I then tighten the the lower bulkhead screws down. Flip the chassis over and check to see if the upper deck falls under it's own weight. If it dose then the chassis is good to go.
Old 04-23-2017, 06:09 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

So has anyone tried the d09 lower bulkheads on the d08 with vertical top deck I'd be interested if the spacing of the two chassis are the same
Old 04-24-2017, 08:43 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jay m
So has anyone tried the d09 lower bulkheads on the d08 with vertical top deck I'd be interested if the spacing of the two chassis are the same
Haven't tried that but I think the spacing may be off, as the D08 top deck won't fit on the D09, but can't remember if it was length of the top deck or just the hole spacing.

I'll try a couple different combinations and see what lines up and get back to you though.

Last edited by Johnny Wishbone; 04-24-2017 at 02:01 PM.
Old 04-24-2017, 03:02 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
Haven't tried that but I think the spacing may be off, as the D08 top deck won't fit on the D09, but can't remember if it was length of the top deck or just the hole spacing.

I'll try a couple different combinations and see what lines up and get back to you though.
Thanks appreciate it mate
Old 04-24-2017, 08:12 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jay m
Hey I messed up measuring the D09 bulkheads on the D08. I never noticed, but I had all the furthest out holes for the bulkheads lined up, but didn't notice that the inner holes are about .05mm closer together than the D08 bulkheads.

Its so close but now I don't think it will work.

Last edited by Johnny Wishbone; 04-25-2017 at 09:01 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.