Search
Like Tree9Likes

VBC Racing D08

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 05:14 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Benzaah
Here is the set up that Ive ended up with so far. Just realised i put minus front toe when it should be toe out oops. I'm, currently within 0.7 of the mod hot laps with the 13.5 so its got plenty Stick. I can run a 0.2 consistency over 6 minutes so its very easy to drive fast all the time. I'm yet to test some of the motor mount flex settings and i don't have the steering or motor mount posts to test but they are on order. I really wanna test the 1.6 top deck when it arrives too and then run the full stiff setting on the chassis. This car already carries so much corner speed its crazy. I want to test making the front end a little narrow using minus 2 dot and widening up the back end by running 3dot/5dot. I think running the 6k diff is on the limit for the track but i love the exit steering you get. Ive been running the LTC-R only but i think now Ive got this set up working it might be time to crack out the Speed6 and go up in the diff again and maybe adjust the front roll center a touch. Loving this car.
Hi,

Nice work on getting the car working for you.
Just trying to get my head around on how the inserts for the suspension blocks work.

Can you clarify how you will achieve "making the front end a little narrow using minus 2 dot"? How many dots on the FF and FR blocks and are they pointing in/out?

From your current setup sheet, how much front arm sweep are you running in degrees. 0.25 or 2.25 degrees?

Many thanks
Fred
Old 02-16-2016, 12:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

Originally Posted by Fredp1
Hi,

Nice work on getting the car working for you.
Just trying to get my head around on how the inserts for the suspension blocks work.

Can you clarify how you will achieve "making the front end a little narrow using minus 2 dot"? How many dots on the FF and FR blocks and are they pointing in/out?

From your current setup sheet, how much front arm sweep are you running in degrees. 0.25 or 2.25 degrees?

Many thanks
Fred
Fred, the cars great. Finding your set up is crucial as everyone drivers slightly different. Finding the right set up for your driving style is all about the right weight transfer and roll centres as everyone drives the car slightly different. The diff and shock oils plus spring and roll bar are usually dictated by track conditions and layout. What works for me might not work for you and your track. Don't underestimate the power of a droop and camber link change. A lot of cars I get asked to look at have the droop especially all wrong.

I'm running only 0.25 degree front arm sweep with those front end settings as I'm not a big fan of arm sweep. There are other ways to achieve a similar result. The front blocks can be set up to run straight pins if you were to run the same inserts front and rear where as the rear has toe inbuilt to the block positions as you would normally run at least 2.5 degrees of toe in. As for the inserts. 1 is neutral but all other inserts are usually installed with the dots facing the outside edge of the chassis. If you flip them 180 then you have minus 2dot ect. The manual mentions changing track width for low traction. Im curious as the rear is a lot skinnier than the front so I'm going to bring them more into line with each other to see how that feels.

Hope that helps. Regards Benzaah.
Old 02-16-2016, 02:44 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Benzaah
Fred, the cars great. Finding your set up is crucial as everyone drivers slightly different. Finding the right set up for your driving style is all about the right weight transfer and roll centres as everyone drives the car slightly different. The diff and shock oils plus spring and roll bar are usually dictated by track conditions and layout. What works for me might not work for you and your track. Don't underestimate the power of a droop and camber link change. A lot of cars I get asked to look at have the droop especially all wrong.

I'm running only 0.25 degree front arm sweep with those front end settings as I'm not a big fan of arm sweep. There are other ways to achieve a similar result. The front blocks can be set up to run straight pins if you were to run the same inserts front and rear where as the rear has toe inbuilt to the block positions as you would normally run at least 2.5 degrees of toe in. As for the inserts. 1 is neutral but all other inserts are usually installed with the dots facing the outside edge of the chassis. If you flip them 180 then you have minus 2dot ect. The manual mentions changing track width for low traction. Im curious as the rear is a lot skinnier than the front so I'm going to bring them more into line with each other to see how that feels.

Hope that helps. Regards Benzaah.
Hi Benzaah,

I'm really enjoying reading your journey with the car and the various findings/changes your are doing. It really helps to get to know your own car better. Please keep up the good work!

My son's car was pretty dialed last Friday night, only 4/1000 sec/lap slower than the fastest driver. Not bad for a first run in the new car. Its basically using Ryan's default asphalt setup, with a few minor tweaks.

What I'm finding interesting on this car is how easy it is to make changes to the flex and suspension inserts AND feeling the changes right away.
Compared to his D06, Dean wanted the D08 to be a bit more "edgy" and I think it was could be a touch faster in the corners too. We'll have a few more things to try out this Friday night.
Thanks for your help.
Old 02-17-2016, 09:13 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

think may reasson that the back is more skinny is that the compleet euro team last year drove a skinny car in the back and they made the car stock like that.
making the back smaller was a verry good way to have a lot more steering.
Armsweep in the front is something i personally never useded, wil have to try this one time.

You are spot one that you need to find your personal setup.
Wat works for me can be shitty for you.
My sone like to drive a verry agressive car.
an when some friends coppy his setup thy gave massive trobble.
Old 02-17-2016, 09:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

I've run this car 3 weekends in a row, and I still can't believe how dialed the almost kit setup is.

I'm actually scared of changing the setup to try and find more speed.

The d07 is still holding well in the open mod class, but with the corner speed of the d08, I'm going to have to try it soon!
Old 02-17-2016, 10:13 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Well i just finished the build and I have to say I am very impressed with all the subtle refinements over the d07. They have really outdone themselves this time and from what I hear the car handles great as well. the only bad is they forgot my bearings for the sway bars so i have to email VBC to get those but that is a small matter I had some in my pitbox. the aluminum chassis issue is solved too with the graphite upper bumper resting on the sway bar mount.

looking forward to my first race with it next weekend

Any idea when the aluminum chassis will be available? I am going to put in another order but want to wait till its available.
Old 02-19-2016, 06:41 AM
Tech Apprentice

question, why do people shims your shocks from your shocks tower? what do you feel that the difference is ?
my personal view on this is that the car will be a bit calmer and weight distribution a little different.

what do you others think??

race on
Old 02-19-2016, 09:23 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by hasse85
question, why do people shims your shocks from your shocks tower? what do you feel that the difference is ?
my personal view on this is that the car will be a bit calmer and weight distribution a little different.

what do you others think??

race on
you are right. makes the car a bid calmer.
I know lucas urban uses this a lot.
Old 02-20-2016, 12:48 AM
Tech Apprentice

I have broken the following:

vbc A-03-VBC-0069 - double joint axle.

I am a tad frustrated as I cannot seem to get the spare in the UK, and I would like to buy from a local/uk store, but nobody has the part in stock.

Does anyone know if either the Xray/Schumacher/Yokomo Parts can fit the VBC, they are readily available in the UK.

thanks
Old 02-20-2016, 01:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

I had practice today and the track wasn't particularly gripped up as we don't treat the asphalt and only about 8 guys showed up. I love how easy it is to change the flex settings in the blocks to suit the track as it went from zero grip to a low level. I started with the soft setting front rear and ended up with the medium setting. I'd like to ask you guys opinion on What effect would changing either front or rear flex settings Independent of each other achieve? This is something I must try still and maybe next club night I'll start medium and I'll put the rear into stiff when the grip comes up. Anyone's thoughts on any testing they've done with different flex settings front to rear?

As planned I changed the track width to 1dot /-2 dot in the front and 3dot/5dot rear from the 2/1 and 1/3 I was running. I feel the changes are going to be excellent when the grip is up on race night. I found the car had better balance and the rear didn't want to overtake the front as much on corner exit. I can plant it much earlier than before even with the lack of grip. Ive still got the 0.5mm shims under the toe blocks. I also tested the orange springs again. They are slightly slower for me than red springs but you can lean on the car everywhere rather than having to tip toe your way around the sweeper and a couple of the tight 180's like with reds.

It's another long week before I race again ☹️
Old 02-20-2016, 02:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Loheswaran
I have broken the following:

vbc A-03-VBC-0069 - double joint axle.

I am a tad frustrated as I cannot seem to get the spare in the UK, and I would like to buy from a local/uk store, but nobody has the part in stock.

Does anyone know if either the Xray/Schumacher/Yokomo Parts can fit the VBC, they are readily available in the UK.

thanks
the part for the d07 should work fine? I've had no axle issues.

Theyre quite long and the thread sticks out past the wheel nut - this needs to be sanded down and rounded to not catch the track pieces.
Old 02-20-2016, 05:23 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by R3VoLuTiOn
the part for the d07 should work fine? I've had no axle issues.

Theyre quite long and the thread sticks out past the wheel nut - this needs to be sanded down and rounded to not catch the track pieces.
Sorry to sound ungrateful but I want ti clarify the following:

that is the part number - it's the same for the D07 as it is for the D08 - my car is a D07 in any event.

secondly it was not that the thread caught a piece of track - the part shattered during a crash

thirdly I was asking if somebody knows if any other manufacturers parts fit - not what to do when I eventually get the VBC part

thanks
Old 02-20-2016, 06:22 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Has anyone else had a problem with the top deck rubbing on the layshaft front pulley? Is there a fix for this?
Old 02-20-2016, 07:13 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by whityboy
you are right. makes the car a bid calmer.
I know lucas urban uses this a lot.

Thank you Bjorn for the confirm on my thoughts on this :-)
Old 02-20-2016, 12:05 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by E-clip
Has anyone else had a problem with the top deck rubbing on the layshaft front pulley? Is there a fix for this?
don't have this problem. maby post a pic so we can see what is wrong

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.