Search

Rc shops in LA

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 03:46 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Rc shops in LA

Hi guys,

I'm
From New Zealand and will be going to San Francisco and LA and maybe nearby places in the next 2 weeks. While on holiday I really would like to check out some shops specifically yokomo products n also get a bd7 2016. My mates over here said lot of off road stuff over in LA, so if anyone can point me to the right direction. Much appreciated thank u
Old 12-03-2015, 06:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Will smith
Hi guys,

I'm
From New Zealand and will be going to San Francisco and LA and maybe nearby places in the next 2 weeks. While on holiday I really would like to check out some shops specifically yokomo products n also get a bd7 2016. My mates over here said lot of off road stuff over in LA, so if anyone can point me to the right direction. Much appreciated thank u
Both www.amain.com and www.tqrcracing.com are in chino, fairly close to LA. Amain is the US distributor for yokomo.
Old 12-03-2015, 06:58 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default A-Main

Originally Posted by malkiy
Both www.amain.com and www.tqrcracing.com are in chino, fairly close to LA. Amain is the US distributor for yokomo.
Hey thanks for that, so I can physically go to those shops right? Guess I need to get used to driving on the other side of the road.
Old 12-03-2015, 07:15 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Yes, both shops have a retail storefront

But, I doubt any 16' BD7 will be here this year

Amain is showing a pre-order date of 12/14, so maybe there's a chance...
Old 12-03-2015, 07:59 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by malkiy
Hey thanks for that, so I can physically go to those shops right? Guess I need to get used to driving on the other side of the road.
TQ R/C Racing is an indoor track with hobby shop (online too) and is one of the better (if not the best) shops for onroad specific parts. You will find things there that will be hard to find elsewhere in a retail setting. Chino is east of LA so an easy place to visit. However check the hours because I believe they open in the afternoon. They run a regular race program and series as well.

Amain is in CHICO which is north of Sacramento. I don't know the exact driving time from San Francisco but it is not close (2+ hours drive?). They have a retail shop but not sure what they carry there compared to online. But this is probably the best option if you want to obtain the BD7. You could probably place the order before you leave and pick it up there.

There are not a lot of shops in Southern California that will carry on-road parts but if you are interested in hobby shops in general be sure to visit OCRC in Huntington Beach. Cal Raceway runs onroad regularly (no shop) and Ventura Roadrunners (Camarillo) will probably be racing when you are around. No shop as well but still something to see.

In Northern California there are some options. Norcal Hobbies in San Jose runs an onroad program and probably carries a decent stock of parts in their store. P1 Hobbies in Ukiah is another option.There are probably others but I am not totally familiar with the Norcal area.
Old 12-03-2015, 08:59 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Best bet is to probably submit a pre-order on Amain, have it shipped to wherever you're staying, and hope the timing works out. You just missed out on a huge 10% off of all kits and 15% off of parts sale at AMain.

Keep in mind that ordering from Amain and shipping in California will have you paying sales tax, our equivalent of GST down there in NZ, that's added on top of the total cost of the sale.

You may want to contact Christian Tabush at RSD racing to see if he can help you assemble a kit and spares. They just became a Yokomo dealer and he's extremely knowledgeable. Having what you need shipped from Texas to California may get you out of paying sales tax.

Chico is 3 hours north or San Francisco without nasty traffic and is definitely not the most pleasant drive.

Sweet as bru!
Old 12-03-2015, 01:34 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
TQ R/C Racing is an indoor track with hobby shop (online too) and is one of the better (if not the best) shops for onroad specific parts. You will find things there that will be hard to find elsewhere in a retail setting. Chino is east of LA so an easy place to visit. However check the hours because I believe they open in the afternoon. They run a regular race program and series as well.

Amain is in CHICO which is north of Sacramento. I don't know the exact driving time from San Francisco but it is not close (2+ hours drive?). They have a retail shop but not sure what they carry there compared to online. But this is probably the best option if you want to obtain the BD7. You could probably place the order before you leave and pick it up there.

There are not a lot of shops in Southern California that will carry on-road parts but if you are interested in hobby shops in general be sure to visit OCRC in Huntington Beach. Cal Raceway runs onroad regularly (no shop) and Ventura Roadrunners (Camarillo) will probably be racing when you are around. No shop as well but still something to see.

In Northern California there are some options. Norcal Hobbies in San Jose runs an onroad program and probably carries a decent stock of parts in their store. P1 Hobbies in Ukiah is another option.There are probably others but I am not totally familiar with the Norcal area.

Thanks. Might have to purchased them online as soon as I get to San Francisco and get it sent to my moms then pick it up on the way back.
Old 12-04-2015, 01:07 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Sales tax

If I purchase bd7 from amain, n pick it up at their shop, do I still need to pay sales tax?
Old 12-04-2015, 01:26 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

If I purchase bd7 from amain, n pick it up at their shop, do I still need to pay sales tax?
Yes, you buy in Calfornia from a California shop and you pay sales tax.
Old 12-04-2015, 03:04 PM
Tech Addict

there is hobby people down in riversiede tho thats little farther south of l.a. and hobbytown in corona but idk if they have what you want because offroad is bigger in this area
Old 12-04-2015, 09:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by OriginalDonk
Yes, you buy in Calfornia from a California shop and you pay sales tax.

When we holidayed in the US if we produced out of the country ID, some shops would offer no tax as discount if we asked.
Old 12-08-2015, 05:22 AM
Tech Adept

I Agree with what's been said above.

On-Road = TQ especially for Tamiya

Off-Road = Doesn't matter. Hobby People have much Associated, Horizon/Losi and Traxxas hardware/spare parts.

Most of the tracks in California are off-road. The majority of on-road tracks are parking lots.

Tamiya's own track is one of the few permanent facilities because of housing values most permanent tracks have closed including outdoor off-road like Ranch Pit Stop because of housing development and of course the services and shopping needed for those new housing tracts.

Most of the permanent outdoor tracks have been pushed to the edges of main population centers like LA like in San Bernandino County.

But there's tons of unused warehouse space, seems to me some people should try opening up more carpet on-road, drifting and clay-off road tracks.
Old 12-11-2015, 04:05 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default :)

Thanks for all of your advice. Looks like going to amain will be the most logical thing for me to do. Fingers crossed its released on time.
Old 12-11-2015, 02:27 PM
Tech Initiate

Hi guys,

I'm
Hello Will,

We would love to have you stop by AMain Performance Hobbies. If you can make the trip, I will personally give you a tour and some AMain goodies. We have an off-road indoor track right here at our distribution center if you'd want to run some laps. We can set you up with a car to run. I have some good news on the BD7! We just received them today.

Please send me a PM if you plan to pay us a visit. I would enjoy doing what I can on my end to make your trip worthwhile.

Regards,
Jason-
Old 12-12-2015, 06:01 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Jason A Main
Hello Will,

We would love to have you stop by AMain Performance Hobbies. If you can make the trip, I will personally give you a tour and some AMain goodies. We have an off-road indoor track right here at our distribution center if you'd want to run some laps. We can set you up with a car to run. I have some good news on the BD7! We just received them today.

Please send me a PM if you plan to pay us a visit. I would enjoy doing what I can on my end to make your trip worthwhile.

Regards,
Jason-
Cheers for that Jason. Pm sent.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.