R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-11-2005, 07:45 AM   #121
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I remeber back in the day when "stock" was a 540 Mabuchi motor! Now that was stock! I agree with most of the posts about "Factory drivers" not running in stock but, most of them have motor sponsors, batt. sponsors, ect. They are sponsored to sell those product for the people they drive for. Being that the majority of us do race stock or 19t and not mod., they put their drivers in those classes to sell product, it's simple. You hardly ever here "Man my team XXXX mod motor ripped!" or "Man those batts really helped me win in Mod.!". That's because at that level of racing it's mostly about car set up and pure driving talent. This hobby is no different than any other competitive market, just like Nascar, win on Sunday - Sell on Monday!
Old 11-11-2005, 08:03 AM   #122
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TimPotter

Well, we have to ask ourselves why people really have not moved on by themselves.

1. Sponsors ask them to run stock ( Companies want a Nation Championship at any cost, including killing the sport of it ).
2. People do not have the integrity to understand it is time, and just want to win at what they are doing.
3. Racers want to go to a race knowing they have a chance to compete, and make the A.

Stock at a national level event is ultra competetive, and that competetiveness helps to push the skills of drivers so they can compete at a higher level.

There really is a clear deliniation of opinions on this subject, either you feel poeple should be able to stay in stock, as it is thier own choice, or they should be forced up becuase they will not do it on thier own for whatever reason.
Clean Title & Escrow|p3|TRF|Tamiya|SerpentAmerica|FSEARA|Team Butter|RC 3|Munno |RCTECH #29|EAMotorsports|BMI|Novak|SpeedPassion|RadioPost
TimPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 08:19 AM   #123
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Another reason for me and im sure many others not running mod is that it is expensive.

I do have a motor, battery and now car sponsore.. but make no mistake, I do pay for 99% of my equipment. Only recently have I started to enjoy "perks" and by that I mean a free motor.. or a free pk of arms.. or my first free battery order... With that said, Mod is still just too expensive for me to compete in. Race in, sure.. Compete.. not quite.

It all bois down to the fact that I go through enough store bought tires as it is in stock and now 19t, I dont need to add another 1000HP to the car and increase the cost of racing across the board.

Perhaps- and I am hoping, that in the future I will have either a tire sponsore.. or the resources to afford that class. But at this time.. Stock it is..

Keith
Old 11-11-2005, 08:59 AM   #124
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Billanti
Another reason for me and im sure many others not running mod is that it is expensive.

I do have a motor, battery and now car sponsore.. but make no mistake, I do pay for 99% of my equipment. Only recently have I started to enjoy "perks" and by that I mean a free motor.. or a free pk of arms.. or my first free battery order... With that said, Mod is still just too expensive for me to compete in. Race in, sure.. Compete.. not quite.

It all bois down to the fact that I go through enough store bought tires as it is in stock and now 19t, I dont need to add another 1000HP to the car and increase the cost of racing across the board.

Perhaps- and I am hoping, that in the future I will have either a tire sponsore.. or the resources to afford that class. But at this time.. Stock it is..

Keith
too expensive preminum tune stock motors cost 40-45 buck, mod motors about 55-65 buck, that doesn't seem all that expensive. For the record seasoned stock drivers should to 19 turn not mod., last nite I bought some batteries with an avg. voltage of 1.206, you throw that in with a stock motor your trust your doing 19turn speed. with the whole world addicted to high voltage batt. just move up to 19 turn since everybody pushing the speed limit in stock
dawgmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 09:02 AM   #125
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I was talking strictly from the tires aspect.. the rest of it is nearly a push.

I have some serious sticks as well and my car in stock is NOT anywhere near 19T speed. Ofcourse, i run them same sticks in 19t.

Keith
Old 11-11-2005, 09:05 AM   #126
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang

I think a LOT of the super fast stock guys are already thinking 19t! I know locally (The Gate) come 2006-many of our top mod and top stock drivers will run 19t 95% of the time.

This is great because 19t sedan at big races will become the new stock class and it already has. I also like the idea that Mod guys will not be stepping back inot 19t as much. Most do it to get more track time anyways.

HOpefully the trend has already started to move towards 19t for top non factory guys.

NOw-a guy like me has a dream, a whisper of hope at making the A in one class at a big race, while being able to run 19t to see where I stand nationally.
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 09:09 AM   #127
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

My situation is like most others. I'm 30 y/o and have been involved in the hobby since the age of 10 and racing since 12. That makes for 18 years of racing. I have never had any type of sponsorship and pay for 100% of my equipment. Until recently I did get a discount on the items that I bought from the LHS that I worked at part time, but my motors and batteries I payed full price for because like most racers I bought from the smaller companies who produce superior products. These items are what constitute for the bulk of my racing expenses. The cost of racing stock is high enough for the un-sponsored racer, now try to step up to mod and the cost jumps beyound the reach of most racers. I do race modified in off-road, but it's not by choice. Stock off-road is all but dead in my area so mod is what you have to run. Granted the overall cost of off-road is less than sedan so I don't mind it as much. I am currently seeking a motor and battery sponsor, even a 50% deal would be a huge help. The brand that I run has been gracious enough to give me a small discount on my last two orders and it did help alot, but I still am not a sponsored driver by any means. Personaly I think that there are some drivers who should move up from stock. I dont think that there is anything wrong with them racing stock at big races, but there is no reasion for them to run it at their local club races where there is no chance to beat them unless they have a mechanical problem or a DNF. At my local track most of the big guns have moved up to 19t and modified. This has made it possible for others to get some attention in the stock class and made it more enjoyable for the newer racers.

Just my $.02
tazz888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 09:28 AM   #128
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

We've tried and tried and tried for years. However the sandbaggers will always ruin a good "beginner" class.

This whole thread can be considered a commentary on how screwed the system is.

-Me
Soviet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 09:48 AM   #129
Suspended

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet
This whole thread can be considered a commentary on how screwed the system is.

We're a divided nation-50% enablers, 50% abusers......
Phatkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 09:49 AM   #130
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I personaly dont think there is much of a price difference inbetween running a mod class over stock, I can go to my local track and run mod all season with the same cost as a season of stock racing, whats the difference? buying pink and dl pink tires for 1/12th istead of grey/purple? i can do that. sure you may hit something harder but if you have the skill to be winning A main stock races then your good enough not to t-bone a board to break something. So then you say oh i need the best bats and motors... you've already been doing that for years in this sport, so there isn't any extra hidden cost there either. But like any racer i want to win the A instead of placing in the B, so run where you want too, cause when i come back down to the stock class for a weekend we'll see where we finish
FUTABA 2.4G FASST, Spec-R S1, Speed Passion SP-1, Sakura D3 FWD, Kyosho Evolva M3, Team Losi XX-4, Caster EX1.5R, HPI Wheelie King Crawler, Quanum Aquaholic, Joysway Wildcat
nrtv20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 10:08 AM   #131
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrtv20
I personaly dont think there is much of a price difference inbetween running a mod class over stock, I can go to my local track and run mod all season with the same cost as a season of stock racing, whats the difference? buying pink and dl pink tires for 1/12th istead of grey/purple? i can do that. sure you may hit something harder but if you have the skill to be winning A main stock races then your good enough not to t-bone a board to break something. So then you say oh i need the best bats and motors... you've already been doing that for years in this sport, so there isn't any extra hidden cost there either. But like any racer i want to win the A instead of placing in the B, so run where you want too, cause when i come back down to the stock class for a weekend we'll see where we finish
You can run mod all season for the same price?????????????????? How can that be. Tires. Transmission all wear ALOT faster.

In th UK there are loads of people running stock just because its basically "Easier". They will have a go at me for saying that but at the end they know it is. In stock, its the person who takes the fastest lines all race which, yes is a good acheivement. But in mod, its so much harder to hit all apex's etc and still get the most out of a lap time.

I find mod so much more fun. I like to see my car actually accelerating down the straight and tearing up the track out of corners, not just seeing which line carries most corner speed. When running stock, your finger bearly even comes off full throttle, you turn to scrub the speed off. So personally i dont think Stock is as much of a challenge as Mod.

Run Mod!!!!! So much better.
Old 11-11-2005, 10:09 AM   #132
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

The stress and added wear that parts, batteries and motors are subjected to under the rigors of modified racing requires more frequent maintainance and parts replacement, that adds up to more expense. Also at my track your racing against some of the best in the buisness in modified (Mike Dumas, Mark Smyka, Eric Derosiers as well as other sponsored drivers) so you have to bring your "A" game and "A" equipment. But this is thread is about why sponsored drivers should move up, not the average joe. Let's all try to keep that in mind, including myself.
tazz888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 10:45 AM   #133
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default mod racing

Besides tires, I dont see how mod can be that much more expensive, and with the tires that are starting to come ou (jaco 2 stage) tire wear should be greatly improved and should last a lot longer. I mean, we have a whole "revolution" of motors that are dedicated to make it easier to run mod. Im not saying everyone should move up, but I dont see how if you make the A-main in 19t, how its very fair to race stock too..
runnin rc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 10:50 AM   #134
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIVIC91
Oh, and I know...everyones heard the old "We don't hold back our best cells for our drivers" load. Suuuure ya don't
Some of you guy's are complaining a little to much. Most people want competition. Why, would you want all the fast people to get out of the class. How would you know if your ever on pace with them? Some people don't want to have to do a teardown on their car after every race weekend. About your battery complaints. I made the a-main in vegas in stock and rubber 19turn with store bought 3300's. Used only (1) one pack for to classes for the hole weekend. Quiet complaining and do everything you can to learn to faster on the track. If you don't have a rookie or sportsman class, ask your race director to start one.

NEARLY EVERYONE STARTS OFF HITTING EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!
Juan Aveytia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 10:51 AM   #135
Tech Regular

Smile

I have read alot of posts here, and think that maybe the organizer should restrict who enters what class. I live here, and race in So. Cal, and see alot of pro factory drivers out at my local track. SoCal runs Novice, Inter, Sportsman, and Pro classes. Most of the time I see the pro's agreeing on what class they would like to run. ex. Stock, 19T, or Mod. But sometimes the pro's get mixed with say the sportsman. Qual is IFMAR, and the guys who run SoCal know who the pros are. To date I have never raced against any known pros in inter, and thank god they would kill me.
jw92656 is offline   Reply With Quote