Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The "Thats it!!! Get the F_*K out of Stock!!!" thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 09:10 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Phatkat
Ditching a class is not the way to fix this, but you could split the class. Doing away with a theoretically easier class will not do anything to attract new people, either.

I didn't say it would fix it, just reduce some of the issues. Newbies could still run a stock, just call it a 27 turn. I think people will learn real quick how fast a motor they can handle. This eliminates the need for the best motor, best batteries, dyno's, etc once you hit that point. I know a lot of guys get into that and thats fine but I think it annoy's most, thats debatable. This way it leaves it all up to car setup and driving skills.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:20 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by stumper
Thats BS........... So I should go play BBall against players in the NBA ??? A progression needs to take place. Like go play people at the local park, then play in highschool,college then go play the NBA....... Same should apply for RC. Race stock, then 19t, and then move on to mod......... Do you really think its a challenge for a NBA pro to play some one that just picked up a ball ??

The way I see it we already have a natural progression. Kids/adults get into rc cars and play with them. Then they see a race at a LHS and try racing. If they are any good or desire to be good they keep racing and get better. Then the really good racers start traveling to bigger races with better drivers. Then you get to the biggest races and best drivers.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Peter Busch
This way it leaves it all up to car setup and driving skills.
That's a tick naive. People will always, always find a way to make things faster no matter what rules apply. Look at Spec classes in the old days: soaking brushes in WD40 for weeks at a time, messing with this and that. Nothing would change.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

the faster drivers are already seperated from the ones that arnt as fast yet, thats why we qualify, you end up in an A,B,C ..... main and race ten other drivers of your skill level, if you win, you still get a first place trophy no matter what letter main you run, the biggest problem I see is people not having fun racing if they cant make the "A", we need more of a change in attitude than in the rules, learn to have fun racing, and it will definatly make you better......
Old 11-10-2005, 09:30 PM
Ike
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mdoc
the faster drivers are already seperated from the ones that arnt as fast yet, thats why we qualify, you end up in an A,B,C ..... main and race ten other drivers of your skill level, if you win, you still get a first place trophy no matter what letter main you run, the biggest problem I see is people not having fun racing if they cant make the "A", we need more of a change in attitude than in the rules, learn to have fun racing, and it will definatly make you better......
Excellent point
Old 11-10-2005, 09:32 PM
Tech Addict

I'm not sure if I buy into the whole forcing someone to move up. I think its kind of lameo for people to run stock forever, but thats their perogative. As Brandon pointed out, most people in stock are 50% off drivers who have jobs and live outside of RC. Even if they are uber masters of stock its still a form of recreation and if thats how they want to have fun so be it.

Stock at a big race is competitive and having guys that are super committed makes everyone raise their game. Do I want to move up to mod one day, sure I hope some day I can, but there are guys who really just want to be really good at stock and stay there forever. It makes them happy.

Finally, although the "lifers" are always a factor its not like they win every race. They provide a stable group of high level drivers for the up and comers to shoot for and often beat. They are also a good resource for drivers struggling like myself to improve their big race game. The "lifers" may take away your $5.99 trophy, but they make you a better racer in the process.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:47 PM
Tech Apprentice

Maybe if the drivers that dont make the A-main would take the time to practice and learn more like the 30-40 somethings, they too would be fast. Nobody improves at any hobby, sport, or profession (job) without practice. Just because you cant compete today, does not mean you cant compete tomorrow. Dont give up and make it happen. I cant remember who wrote "Winners never quit, quitters never win", but it sure applies..... and not just to RC cars.

Maybe the hobby would grow if there were not so many quitters that give up after a few months realizing its not as easy as it looks. Maybe some balls are in order?
Old 11-10-2005, 10:02 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Jon Williams
That's a tick naive. People will always, always find a way to make things faster no matter what rules apply. Look at Spec classes in the old days: soaking brushes in WD40 for weeks at a time, messing with this and that. Nothing would change.

No its not. Not many people can handle a 6 turn. All you have to do is buy a lower turn motor to go faster, anybody can do that.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Although I am not a "factory" or "sponsored" driver I am one of those 30'ish stock racers that's been in this hobby since I was about 13. I stopped for a few years and got back into it in '97. I'm one of those guys that knows the stock "tricks" and does them to every motor I buy ( i buy/use one stock motor at a time). I still race stock because: 1) it is so damn competitive 2) tires last ALOT longer 3) A stock motor can last me nearly 2 years and finally 4) I've got 4 other mouths to feed and 50-60 bucks for a motor that may throw a wind is too much of a gamble.

I've stayed in this hobby ,at the local "expert stock" level, because it's so competitive and fun. I'm actually slowly but surely working my way to 19t and am finding it more satisfying.

On the flip side of that same coin i hate having to compete with "factory" or even "sponsored" guys of any level at national events. I raced at the reedy for 2 years when it was at the ripon speedway and it is a bit "screwed" that i had to race with them. I still had fun,but felt a small thorn in my side.

As a funny side note, I get a bigger sense of fun knowing that my current 1yr and 2mo. old stocker and 2 yr. old batts still stay within .3-.7 seconds per lap with most of the local fast guys...on a good day that is!!

Too many rules and regulations is bad for anything...look at what it did to anarchy!!
Old 11-10-2005, 10:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I just think its crazy how many people are hooked in Stock just look at the Snowbirds they get over 100 entries for stock , I think people need to just grow some and move up from that beginners level. I for one can't stand stock I always do bad in that class.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:19 PM
Tech Addict

Stock at does not necessarily = beginner. Look at 19t at the last few big races, a lot of stock drivers beating mod drivers. Granted 19t has more in common with stock so it helps the stock racers, but still if stock drivers were a buch of hacks that wouldn't happen. Stock is competitive and challenging, what you race at a big race is a personal pereference thing.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jon Williams
Anyway, leave it to Soviet to start a good discussion with controversy.

Thanks Jon, its what I do best.

Now how about a deal on some stock motors. PM me.

Old 11-10-2005, 10:42 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
I`v been callin racer`s who only race stock .

Turtle`s !

and thats whut they are.....

My Avatar speaks volumes !
And even you race stock, I have seen it many time.

Sometimes there aren't enough guys on the local level to make a class.

For others, its opinion.

If you're upset you're being beat by better drivers running stock, then my answer is DRIVE BETTER period.
Old 11-10-2005, 11:02 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

[QUOTE=Soviet]Stock is for pussies....

[QUOTE]

Soviet is my hero

The brits run mod in the RAIN and make us all look like pussies!
Old 11-10-2005, 11:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Soviet
Stock is for pussies....

Originally Posted by DrOlds
Soviet is my hero

The brits run mod in the RAIN and make us all look like pussies!

Grooved tires and brakelights as well!

Overall, I just felt the need to vent about how much of a convoluted mess the racing structure in the USA is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.