R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-10-2005, 09:44 PM   #76
Suspended

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Busch
Nobody said you have to put a 6 turn in, and nobody is forcing you to pull the trigger either. Look at nitro, they don't have these issues. Get rid of stock, it solves more issues then it creates.

Ditching a class is not the way to fix this, but you could split the class. Doing away with a theoretically easier class will not do anything to attract new people, either.
Phatkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 09:46 PM   #77
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brian McGreevy Send a message via Yahoo to Brian McGreevy

Jon, I just realized that our paint schemes are way too alike
USVTA Member #211

Support Formula SAE - get kids into engineering!
http://motorsports.illinois.edu/
Brian McGreevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 09:46 PM   #78
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Dude: R/C and video games? I mean, I do love my PS2, but bro you're a touch off-base.
Jon Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 09:47 PM   #79
Tech Elite

Oh yeah, dude. Freaky...
Old 11-10-2005, 09:50 PM   #80
Ike
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Williams
Dude: R/C and video games? I mean, I do love my PS2, but bro you're a touch off-base.
Hardly, have you ever seen all the video game national championships and such? I used that as an example because they both take excellent hand eye coordination, many hours of practicing, lots of hours sitting on your butt, and (depending on the game) countless hours of tweaking things to get them just right.

Anyhow, we should get back on topic and make a new thread if we want to discuss the hibby vs. sport stuff further
Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 09:52 PM   #81
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

Man this thread is rolling. Makes for some intersting reading and many points of view thats for sure.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around)
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 09:53 PM   #82
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brian McGreevy Send a message via Yahoo to Brian McGreevy

Yeah except RC racing takes a heck of a lot more useful knowledge; physics among other things...
USVTA Member #211

Support Formula SAE - get kids into engineering!
http://motorsports.illinois.edu/
Brian McGreevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 09:56 PM   #83
Tech Legend

I`v been callin racer`s who only race stock .

Turtle`s !

and thats whut they are.....

My Avatar speaks volumes !
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 09:56 PM   #84
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadCapece
How did you take my post that far out of context? I NEVER said a basketball freshman should take on the NBA.

So when YOU are playing basketball, do you practice by beating a bunch of 12 year olds everyday? Or do you play with people better than yourself so you can push your skills and improve?
Ironically enough, I've been helping my friend practice for basketball (he plays varsity at his school) and I routinely get my ass handed to him to the point where I don't want to play at school during lunch or PE. During PE today since the teacher was absent, we were sent into the gym to play some basketball. I completely out-shot and out played everyone there in the first time I've played at school in months
BlackKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 09:56 PM   #85
Tech Elite

Anyway, leave it to Soviet to start a good discussion with controversy.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:59 PM   #86
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

So far everything is pretty civil to!!!!!!!! Nice to see opinions without guys getting out of hand.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around)
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 10:05 PM   #87
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Im not really a fan of the idea I am going to propose, but its a thought...

Does brushless somewhat solve this problem? Now you take away a lot of the element that most seem to cling on. I am totally all for a factory stock class if thats what it takes to keep the playing field a little more level.
runnin rc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 10:05 PM   #88
Ike
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Williams
Agree with Andrew. I think there really should be some sort of time period of good results before you're required to move up.

Brian, I think you may be hitting the nail on the proverbial head there. I think there really are two dichotomous attitudes behind the points being raised. I think the whole arguement does hinge on whether you feel racing is a 'sport' or a 'hobby' to you. I think if you view R/C as a 'sport', you're probably more aggressively, actively working at improving your skill and knowledge and grateful to have tough competition no matter how far down it makes you finish.

On the other hand if you're viewing it as a 'hobby' I think you lean more towards a passive, relaxed view of racing. Subsequently, you're more likely to be frustrated when guys who are super good are running stock because it makes it much more difficult for you to win or run with those at your skill level. (Disclaimer: I'm not talking about guys who've been running stock for 20 years making A's. I do think that sucks. You know who you are. )

You're oversimplifying things. I can't even get to my track early enough on raceday to run a practice pack before my first heat. However, I still strive to be competitive even if I'm at a disadvantage due to lack of time. Yes it's a hobby for me but I'm very competitive by nature. But, I don't mind if the guy that beats me in a race has 10 sponsors, it'll be a fun challenge for me to try to be a little closer to keeping up every week.

My last sentence there is why I don't get some people in RC, I'll never see how it's fun for someone to know they will always have a shot at winning. Back before I left the hobby for several years I was a young kid and was getting fairly good at RC racing. I was consitently in the A and B main in stock 1/12th (back when we could have all the way up to an F main at the club level). So I moved up to mod and got my butt kicked, I never made a single A-main since every guy in the A and half the B was sponsored. Back then being sponsored did mean you had stuff that the average racer couldn't get, mainly good batteries.

For me, making the B in mod was more of a thrill than winning the A in stock. No one likes a front runner, and it seems that maybe there are too many of them in RC today. I however have not witnessed it firsthand since at my track there probably aren't enough guys willing to run mod to have a class.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:06 PM   #89
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brandon Melton

This post is not about the same guys running stock time and time again, BUT I think something that is disturbing is the OVER EXAGERATION of the word "factory". I think a better term would be "sponosored". There is a different. Sure, alot of the guys that run stock and make the A's are sponsored, but this doesn't mean EVERYTHING in the world. It helps, but realize the truth.

A driver on a 50% level sponsorship receives that off of retail prices. In many cases, this results in just a little better discount than what some of the mass online retailers are selling the same parts for. This is the level that about all the "stock" drivers are at. "Factory" drivers are the ones with all free equipment, travel expenses, and often paid salaries to race and work for the manufacturer. These are what you people make some of the stock drivers out to be, and not the truth.

Last, sponsorship is NOT AT ALL required to run fast at the stock level. This isn't to blow my own whistle, but illustrates my point. In 2004 I went to the snowbirds and ran sportsman 19T against many other "sponsored" guys. At the time I MAIL ORDERED (straight off of brand x's website) batteries before the race. A tuner told me what brush to use, I did, and ended up qualifying 2nd and finishing 2nd inthe A Main, with NO SPONSORSHIPS. I received some afterwards, sure, but to say it's necessary to run with those same guys is totally false. My car was hooked up and I drove qualifying with no mistakes, that's all it takes. I annied up for tires, batts, etc, but don't say that non-sponsored drivers can't compete.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:08 PM   #90
Ike
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian McGreevy
Yeah except RC racing takes a heck of a lot more useful knowledge; physics among other things...
Yeah, and everyone knows physicists are great athletes

Ok, I'm done for real this time