R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-10-2005, 03:55 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Are the Americans up to snuff?

Before I begin, just let me say I am proud to be an American and truely love my country. Now with that said, can the American on road drivers hold thier own against the worlds best? Baker is aging, Francis focused on off road and is retiring. Kinwald has been out of the mix for a while and thier does not seem to be one paticular standout among the new crop of factory drivers. Dont get me wrong, the above mentioned are all GREAT drivers and very nice guys. What comes to mind are posts that sing the praises of the new FT TC4. Yes it is a good car, no thier are not as many factory guys running it but who did Barry beat? I am intersted to see how the US drivers do at the Birds. That is truely a test of skill and machine. I am pulling for AE and Losi to do well I just wonder if they have the muscle to do it.......Right now Tamiya, HB and Xray are HOT......and they have some of the worlds or the worlds BEST drivers in thier stables....
Ginsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 04:34 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginsu
Before I begin, just let me say I am proud to be an American and truely love my country. Now with that said, can the American on road drivers hold thier own against the worlds best? Baker is aging, Francis focused on off road and is retiring. Kinwald has been out of the mix for a while and thier does not seem to be one paticular standout among the new crop of factory drivers. Dont get me wrong, the above mentioned are all GREAT drivers and very nice guys. What comes to mind are posts that sing the praises of the new FT TC4. Yes it is a good car, no thier are not as many factory guys running it but who did Barry beat? I am intersted to see how the US drivers do at the Birds. That is truely a test of skill and machine. I am pulling for AE and Losi to do well I just wonder if they have the muscle to do it.......Right now Tamiya, HB and Xray are HOT......and they have some of the worlds or the worlds BEST drivers in thier stables....
Whats holding the USA down in international competition is Two-fold:

1. Nobody wants to run Mod, everyone and their brother has an idiotic hard-on for Stock. People (US DRIVERS) if you're a skilled driver, stop sandbagging STOCK and step up to Mod dammit!

2. Nobody really runs rubber on Carpet here. Sure a few places, however since many international kits now come in a "US FOAM" version, that says something. Rubber on carpet is the international standard. We need to get with it. Badly.

So anyhow, all in all the US onroad scene is simply different than the rest of the world. Thus we don't have many drivers than can hang in Mod, rubber indoor, etc.

-Me
Soviet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 04:44 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

Your post is confusing because first you talk about U.S. drivers and then you change to U.S. made cars. Which is it? There are many great U.S. drivers using foreign cars,ie. Tosolini and Burch just to name two.
Old 11-10-2005, 04:58 PM   #4
Tech Master

You have to be able to read between the lines sometimes my dear boy. It is both.................There are many capable US drivers for foreign companies...........This question comes from Soviets excellent post about the FT TC4. I am willing to bet that there is a different outcome at the birds with stiffer competition. Are US cars as capable as others? Are the drivers? Probably not at this point.........Is the FT TC4 a HUGE improvement over the TC4, sure. Did the JRXS live up to expectations? No..........Could I be wrong, sure. BUT, America needs some new blood or infuse some new blood into older drivers.......Baker, Kinwald still have it. Soviet had some good points regarding different markets........I just would like to see us do better at the worlds.......................God Bless America
Old 11-10-2005, 05:06 PM   #5
Tech Addict

Do you also drive an domestic car too? How about your 1:1? IE Some people in the US might be hypocritical about their purchases. Alot of people may drive import cars but when it comes to lemans, wrc, or f1 they want to see 'merican cars driven by 'merican drivers. Whats up with that? Manytime's I may wish American's would really take their pride along with their purchases (living in detroit makes you really feel it), but in the end everyone just wants to buy what they want to buy, and I got no problem with that.

What are you trying to say about Baker? Aging? Whats that got to do with anything? The guy could have walked away with it the 1/8th national had his belt didn't break. Fact is the current world champion (collari) has won it 7 times, he's gotta be as old as baker or older.

Racing in US is kinda different then other countries too. Even in 1:1 there's a big difference. European and asian countries have more road course racing. US, oval and nascar is most popular. Non US countries take racing more seriously as well. Their governments support their tracks, their people enjoy spectating, etc... That ultimately has an affect on the RC audiences.

Last edited by tomkelley; 11-10-2005 at 05:29 PM.
tomkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 05:20 PM   #6
Tech Master

Tom great post! Put me on the hyptocrite list, I dont drive domestic....The remark regarding Baker should not reflect poorly on him as a person or driver. It highlights the need for the right tool for the right job and maybe a need for some new Hot Shoes at the race track. Marc R, and Hara seem to be on fire right now. And they have excellent cars that sure contribute to their walk to the winners circle. I am sure like everything else it is cyclical, I am just ready for the US to be in the running again.
Old 11-10-2005, 05:21 PM   #7
Tech Elite

The question on the table is: Are there any American drivers that can run with the worlds best?

1. America has about 280million citizens. There are 6.4 billion people on Earth. So the numbers are far in favor of a non-US driver being the best.

2. Burch, Cyrul, Easton, Lemieux, Lufaso, Hodapp, Tosolini, Dumas, Scott, and Numan are all top notch drivers that have a long career ahead of them.

3. Hara ran in the ROAR US Nats, so can't we call him an American driver? Or atleast Japanese/American?
ChadCapece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 05:21 PM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

With all due respect, I think you are posting here without thinking it through. With so many cars and drivers from so many countries, we cannot win them all, but we do very good. At the Reedy race an American car won invitational and an American car and driver won open mod. At Vegas an American car and driver won 12th scale. The list goes on and on. And we do have alot of up and coming drivers, Rose and Newman just to name two again.

BTW, "my dear boy" WTF is that about?
Old 11-10-2005, 05:25 PM   #9
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

bring it home
Matthew.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 05:27 PM   #10
Tech Master

You made some great points as well. Oh, before I forget the my dear boy comment was a nice way of calling you a douche bag or simple f**K. Don't take it the wrong way you made an intelligent post. Us drivers have done well but as of late have fallen short of the bar.....thanks for your great posts!
Old 11-10-2005, 05:29 PM   #11
Tech Master

Please don't get all freaked out, douche bag and simple F**K are terms of endearment where I come from. Same thing as calling you, friend. Did you ever see that episode of Seinfeld where George starts calling everyone a bastard? Just like that......Go team USA
Old 11-10-2005, 05:34 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Quote:
Please don't get all freaked out, douche bag and simple F**K are terms of endearment where I come from. Same thing as calling you, friend. Did you ever see that episode of Seinfeld where George starts calling everyone a bastard? Just like that......Go team USA
Irish, British, or Yankee?
Old 11-10-2005, 05:36 PM   #13
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
what are you prepared to do to help the problem? A thread like this is not a start. Will we see your name up there in the A main ?? what is your name ??

'OL BUZZARD FARMING (lol)
howard hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 05:44 PM   #14
Tech Master

Hi

Mark Thomas,
Nice to meet you. I am prepared to do a ton of cheerleading from the stands. Go Team USA. Other than that, I cant help ya. Practice Practice Practice, and may I suggest a Schumacher, Tamiya or Hot Bodies, or even a FT TC4 car. I think the FT TC4 is going to continue to win races....hang in there, and practice. The best advise I can give you and other US hopefulls is to get as much track time as possible. Learn set up. Don't be afraid to ask questions just like you are doing! Way to go! Your on the right track. See what the fast guys are doing at your local track.............watch and learn....
Old 11-10-2005, 05:44 PM   #15
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard hudson
what are you prepared to do to help the problem? A thread like this is not a start. Will we see your name up there in the A main ?? what is your name ??
Will we see your name in the Worlds A-Main? It's all just speculation HH, so take a chill pill and relax.