Search
Like Tree54Likes

BSR Racing BT4 Budget Touring car kit

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 09:45 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CMB21
So dont bother with the spur thats comes with the kit then?
I've had the RTR for about a month now. It's really slow with stock gearing. I haven't changed it yet. But plan to.

Here's mine right out the box

https://youtu.be/QdP68U5fv7I

And a GPS run with stock gearing

https://youtu.be/hnec2tL6JQc
Old 09-13-2016, 01:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

My brother and i are going to pick up a couple bt4's to have some fun in our local tracks 21.5 blinky class.

Will be getting the trackstar 80A esc and trackstar 21.5 v2 motor. But i wanted to confirm what pitch the spur gear is so i can purchase accordingly. Also what would a good starting pinion be for 21.5?

My 2c on the bodies, having purchased the 4x4 SC truck from hobbyking, these re branded / Clone cars do not come with quality bodies, mine broke on a minor crash, the replacement pro line body has gone through 10 times worse with barely a scratch. I purchase these kits knowing i will need to get a decent lexan body shell so it doesnt bother me.
Hi CMB21,

I'm also currently using the v2 21.5 Trackstar motor in my BT-4. I'm using a 65 tooth spur (Panaracer) with either a 39, or 40 tooth pinion depending on track layout. I have the motor set at 33 degrees of timing, and use a 40 mm fan to help keep it cool.

Both the 80 amp & 60 amp (Sportsman) Trackstar esc's a good for 21.5 "blinky" racing, but I suggest getting the program card that either one of those esc's require, so you can change the settings like brake force, punch, etc.

Rob.
Old 09-13-2016, 02:19 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ta04evah
Hi CMB21,

I'm also currently using the v2 21.5 Trackstar motor in my BT-4. I'm using a 65 tooth spur (Panaracer) with either a 39, or 40 tooth pinion depending on track layout. I have the motor set at 33 degrees of timing, and use a 40 mm fan to help keep it cool.

Both the 80 amp & 60 amp (Sportsman) Trackstar esc's a good for 21.5 "blinky" racing, but I suggest getting the program card that either one of those esc's require, so you can change the settings like brake force, punch, etc.

Rob.
Thanks for the info! I run a trackstar combo in my Short Course so i am pretty sure i have a suitable programming card in the toolbox somewhere.

For the pinion and spur are you running 64p? Coming from an offroad background everything is either 32 or 48, so 64p is new to me. From what i have read it seems onroad is generally 64p.

Cheers
Carl
Old 09-13-2016, 04:49 AM
Tech Elite

Thanks for the info! I run a trackstar combo in my Short Course so i am pretty sure i have a suitable programming card in the toolbox somewhere.

For the pinion and spur are you running 64p? Coming from an offroad background everything is either 32 or 48, so 64p is new to me. From what i have read it seems onroad is generally 64p.

Cheers
Carl
Hi Carl,

I'm using 48p, as the kit spur gear holder (made from molded plastic) doesn't spin very true to safely use 64p gears, and 48p is easier to mesh. 64p is also easier to damage from small stones and other materials that may be present on a race track.

With the spur gears for the BT-4, they have to be a "narrow" gear, which is thinner than most other gears. The Panaracer gears fit well, and are a good quality spur gear.

Also here's a good review of building & running the car, along with some tips during the build.
http://www.rctech.net/articles/revie...r-ancillaries/

Rob.
Old 09-13-2016, 06:54 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

How is the durability of the car because I was thinking about getting one of these my self for VTA racing, plus upgrading to a swaybar set.
Old 09-13-2016, 07:54 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

So dont bother with the spur thats comes with the kit then?
Yeah, the 83 is way to big for stock racing.

I agree with what ta04evah has said. The difference between our setups is that I'm running 48-52* of timing, but I'm currently playing with 69/32 gearing.

Originally Posted by wallaj232
How is the durability of the car because I was thinking about getting one of these my self for VTA racing, plus upgrading to a swaybar set.
Over all the car is fairly solid. I ran it all summer in our USGT series and swept the series. The weak parts are the servor arm/steering rack, front arms, front c hubs, front caster blocks, and front arm holders. Granted I hit a lot of stuff trying to reset "fast lap", but I just replaced those parts with xray ones when they broke. Best place to get the more expensive parts is from eBay as a guy there parts out kits and you can get things dirt cheap.
Old 09-13-2016, 09:31 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RedBMaster
Yeah, the 83 is way to big for stock racing.

I agree with what ta04evah has said. The difference between our setups is that I'm running 48-52* of timing, but I'm currently playing with 69/32 gearing.

Over all the car is fairly solid. I ran it all summer in our USGT series and swept the series. The weak parts are the servor arm/steering rack, front arms, front c hubs, front caster blocks, and front arm holders. Granted I hit a lot of stuff trying to reset "fast lap", but I just replaced those parts with xray ones when they broke. Best place to get the more expensive parts is from eBay as a guy there parts out kits and you can get things dirt cheap.
So front arms and the holders share the same geometry as Xray? What about the swaybar kit?
Old 09-13-2016, 05:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

So front arms and the holders share the same geometry as Xray? What about the swaybar kit?
team c tc10 swaybar set on ebay
Old 09-13-2016, 07:20 PM
Tech Addict

Yes, same same. Those work as well, but the team C sway bar kit is cheaper
Old 09-13-2016, 07:41 PM
Tech Addict

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I will probably go for the sportsman esc, purely based on the price difference. I hadnt even seen it as it wasnt in the esc list, you have to go through the menu some round about way before that esc even shows up, so thanks for the suggestion.
Old 09-13-2016, 10:26 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I will probably go for the sportsman esc, purely based on the price difference. I hadnt even seen it as it wasnt in the esc list, you have to go through the menu some round about way before that esc even shows up, so thanks for the suggestion.
Yes, for some reason the only way I can find the esc on the Aus site is by doing a search for it.
And $33AU for a roar legal blinky esc is hard to pass up, although for some stange reason the program box for it is only available at the international warehouse. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ogram_Box.html
Old 09-13-2016, 11:18 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by ta04evah
Yes, for some reason the only way I can find the esc on the Aus site is by doing a search for it.
And $33AU for a roar legal blinky esc is hard to pass up, although for some stange reason the program box for it is only available at the international warehouse. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ogram_Box.html
Yes i figured that one out the hard way, even though it is listed as an accessory that you can add via the bottom of product page you couldnt add it as it was from the international warehouse. Anyway i will deal with the program box issue later.

Cars,esc's and motors all ordered now.

The hard question now, is there a recommended fan mount for the bt-4's or just go and find something that looks like it might work?
Old 09-14-2016, 03:41 AM
Tech Elite

Yes i figured that one out the hard way, even though it is listed as an accessory that you can add via the bottom of product page you couldnt add it as it was from the international warehouse. Anyway i will deal with the program box issue later.

Cars,esc's and motors all ordered now.

The hard question now, is there a recommended fan mount for the bt-4's or just go and find something that looks like it might work?
I just double side tap mine to the chassis & side of the spur gear holder, probably anything on offer from yeah racing etc will probably fit too.

http://www.rcmart.com/yeah-racing-ya...?cPath=1560_32
Old 09-18-2016, 09:25 PM
Tech Rookie

Default BT4 fan mount

Team C has a fan mount for TR10/TC10/BT4 cheap too Got to remember that Team C parts = BT4 parts like RedBMaster has said in an earlier post. Do yourself a favor & run serpent gears 48p ($15 for 2 Amain.com) as they have a little wider width on the teeth & will be harder to strip than other 48p or 64p, have proven to last. Especially if you don't swap out the motor mount to aluminum & spur gear mounts run 48p.

I ran a panaracer 64p 90t gear for 3 heats & it was toast ($13 from japan 2 week wait) running a viper 21.5t with 45degrees timing. The plastic A looking spur mounts will tweak under a decent hit & will cock the spur gear sideways & chew up spur gears so watch it. I'm running 48p 72t/37t & longated the slots in the stock motor mount to be able to make em mesh up. IDK how some guys are running any smaller spur or any bigger pinon as far as 48p? You can grind down the plastic motor mount directly in front of pinon for a couple more mm though too.

But yeah I just got the new aluminum BT-4 Steering Board TU1011 that has the adjustable ackerman & broke 2 steering spindles in the same day with rather light hits? Had only broke 1 in about 4 or 5 months until now, so I guess something has to give. Ordered T4 Xray hard spindles to see if that helps & will order a T4 Xray servo saver if I have any more trouble with it. I have been using my Bmax2 saver & thought it was doing a good job till now?! Still though I have to say this is a great sport/entry level sedan especially for $200 for an 13.5 ARR & a kit for parts!
Old 09-20-2016, 09:58 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Craigster
IDK how some guys are running any smaller spur or any bigger pinon as far as 48p? You can grind down the plastic motor mount directly in front of pinon for a couple more mm though too.

But yeah I just got the new aluminum BT-4 Steering Board TU1011 that has the adjustable ackerman & broke 2 steering spindles in the same day with rather light hits? Had only broke 1 in about 4 or 5 months until now, so I guess something has to give. Ordered T4 Xray hard spindles to see if that helps & will order a T4 Xray servo saver if I have any more trouble with it. I have been using my Bmax2 saver & thought it was doing a good job till now?! Still though I have to say this is a great sport/entry level sedan especially for $200 for an 13.5 ARR & a kit for parts!
With as big of a pinion as you're running you could easily step down to a 69\36. I'm currently running a 69\32 with enough room to possibly go down to a 69\31. Tho I'm running a Trinity 24K motor with 52* of timing. They're higher RPM motors so I've had to run the gearing a lot lower in them.

I've had a ton of luck with the aluminum steering rack, Xray servo saver, and Xray Hard steering blocks/spindles.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.