Potential Scale RWD Touring Car Project >

Potential Scale RWD Touring Car Project

Potential Scale RWD Touring Car Project

Old 11-08-2015, 05:03 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Potential Scale RWD Touring Car Project

Background Info:
I used to be into 1/10 touring car racing, but I have lost interest in that and I'm now interested in scale onroad rc driving. That is driving scale looking (and handling) cars on tracks that are in proportion to what you may find in the real world, so very narrow lanes and tight corners. Now there obviously aren't cars already designed for this purpose so I need to get something that I can easily adjust to suit my needs

I have a Tamiya TRF419 which is kinda setup for this type of driving but its no optimal, 4wd is overkill and not scale (Toyota 86) and not enough steering angle. So I'm considering getting a RWD Drift chassis like the one linked and slapping on grippy tires instead. That way it will have all the steering angle I need, electronics layout that is optimal for RWD and much quieter at low speeds due to no front driveshafts.

The problems
-Is the ackermann settings going to be too extreme?
-With a front motor, is it still possible to generate enough grip so that the car doesn't slide all other the place? Will be using a 21.5t motor and I'm quiet tame with the throttle

What are your thoughts? Is this worth pursuing?

http://www.rcmart.com/fsxd-ultra-fro...cPath=420_1611
Old 11-08-2015, 07:17 AM
Tech Elite

Interesting project... I suppose that in the end you can hope for behaviour similar to the 1:1 cars. I think also this article can help you on the choice, especially if you are targeting scale driving: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid-engine_design

Personally I think I would go for RMR... So 3Racing D4, Vacula, Divall, etc...
Old 11-08-2015, 08:53 AM
Tech Elite

Interesting idea... but if you want to do everything up to scale (where will you find a track for that, by the way?), the problem is not only steering but also speed and acceleration/braking (all this needs to be turned down hugely from what these cars normally do).
Old 11-08-2015, 09:03 AM
Tech Elite

A true "scale" racetrack actually has corner radii that are much bigger than anything you would come across on all but the largest outdoor RC tracks, so steering lock in that sense is not an issue. I think you must be thinking of running on a narrow, tight track. At the speeds you would navigate corners at, the extra tyre scrub of a drift chassis with grip tyres will not be an issue.

However it would be nice to see how a scale RWD grip car works out.
Old 11-27-2015, 12:57 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TB03Racer09
Background Info:
I used to be into 1/10 touring car racing, but I have lost interest in that and I'm now interested in scale onroad rc driving. That is driving scale looking (and handling) cars on tracks that are in proportion to what you may find in the real world, so very narrow lanes and tight corners. Now there obviously aren't cars already designed for this purpose so I need to get something that I can easily adjust to suit my needs

I have a Tamiya TRF419 which is kinda setup for this type of driving but its no optimal, 4wd is overkill and not scale (Toyota 86) and not enough steering angle. So I'm considering getting a RWD Drift chassis like the one linked and slapping on grippy tires instead. That way it will have all the steering angle I need, electronics layout that is optimal for RWD and much quieter at low speeds due to no front driveshafts.

The problems
-Is the ackermann settings going to be too extreme?
-With a front motor, is it still possible to generate enough grip so that the car doesn't slide all other the place? Will be using a 21.5t motor and I'm quiet tame with the throttle

What are your thoughts? Is this worth pursuing?

http://www.rcmart.com/fsxd-ultra-fro...cPath=420_1611
you may get ideas from pan cars as they are RWD

Look into the WGT-R (World Grand Touring Rubber) class. The class uses a simple RWD pan car design that been around for ages combined with rubber tires that allow the cars to handle more like a 1:1. (and the tires squeel in the corners!) Plus with realistic looking GT/street car bodies its is very scale.
Old 11-28-2015, 01:29 AM
Tech Rookie

Hi, I am also interested in RWD touring. I have had transformed TT01, TRF 416 to RWD. Now is from RGT pro. The track is small outdoor asphalt. I am trying different set up of it.