Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
F1 Tire problems >

F1 Tire problems

F1 Tire problems

Old 10-23-2015, 08:34 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default F1 Tire problems

I keep ripping the sidewall of my rear tires. I'm not driving down the boards so I don't know how I'm tearing up the sidewall. Looks like someone slashed my tires.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks
Old 10-23-2015, 08:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 208 (100%+)

If your running Pit style tires on Tamiya style foam rims, it's possible the sharp edge on the outside of rim is cutting through the outside sidewall of the tire. If this is the case, use a dremel or sand paper to take the sharp edge off. This should solve the problem.
Old 10-23-2015, 11:11 AM
Tech Regular

If you are sliding your car? This will rip the side wall, if so your car is to grippy.
Old 10-23-2015, 11:34 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Fran View Post
If your running Pit style tires on Tamiya style foam rims, it's possible the sharp edge on the outside of rim is cutting through the outside sidewall of the tire. If this is the case, use a dremel or sand paper to take the sharp edge off. This should solve the problem.
^--- this

Round the corners off a lot
Old 10-23-2015, 03:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Put some proline(flexible) CA glue on most(60%) of the rear tire sidewalls...
Old 10-23-2015, 06:33 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Which compound are you using? The soft rears (Pit Shimizu 575) are a lot more fragile than the 572's. 99% chance it's the sharp edge on the rim underneath the sidewalls. Like others, I sand the sharp edge off before mounting. Not a lot you can do now, unfortunately.

And don't CA the sidewalls of the rear tires.

Mark
Old 10-23-2015, 06:59 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Fran View Post
Fran is right. I have had this same issue before. The only way to fix it is to do what he said. It completely fixes the problem. If you get the chance to examine those Tamiya foam rims again. Run your finger over the edge and youll see just how sharp they really are.
Old 10-23-2015, 07:20 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87 View Post
Put some proline(flexible) CA glue on most(60%) of the rear tire sidewalls...
That won't fix the issue. Stop giving out bad advice in something you have 0 experience in.

For the OP, as others stated, not much you can do now but just remember to sand on next set of wheels. If you got acetone, you can dip them and re-use the wheels.
Old 10-23-2015, 07:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Get em Dan!
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
That won't fix the issue. Stop giving out bad advice in something you have 0 experience in.

For the OP, as others stated, not much you can do now but just remember to sand on next set of wheels. If you got acetone, you can dip them and re-use the wheels.
Old 10-23-2015, 09:36 PM
Tech Champion

I ran alot more different F1 Rc tires than both of you guys multiplied by ten, and there is no such thing as the rims cutting the tires after a real good glue job with the best glue in the business(proline)... I ran all my F1 tires on all types of surface since day one, and only a bad quality non flexible CA glue(crazy glue) would crack and split the tire, not the rim...wow....... Do your homework before posting, specially when you all have alot less posts than me.... End of discussion....I win....
Don't bother answering ! I've moved on already....
Old 10-23-2015, 10:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I ran alot more different F1 Rc tires than both of you guys multiplied by ten, and there is no such thing as the rims cutting the tires after a real good glue job with the best glue in the business(proline)... I ran all my F1 tires on all types of surface since day one, and only a bad quality non flexible CA glue(crazy glue) would crack and split the tire, not the rim...wow....... Do your homework before posting, specially when you all have alot less posts than me.... End of discussion....I win....
Someone needs to CA his keyboard. I've never seen someone give out so much irresponsible advice so.....irresponsibly.

Junior1178- it's the sharp edges. Good luck!
Old 10-24-2015, 01:39 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Dan View Post

Been racing for quite some time and never knew about the sharp edges, thanks for the tip guys.
No matter how good you think you are, you'll only get better when you listen to good advice.
Old 10-24-2015, 09:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by junior1178 View Post
I keep ripping the sidewall of my rear tires. I'm not driving down the boards so I don't know how I'm tearing up the sidewall. Looks like someone slashed my tires.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks
The sidewalks rip due to the side loads on the tire in corners. That combined with the fact that you probably didn't get enough glue on the inside of the tire, I have found the best glue to use is sweep glue as it is ultra thin and will penetrate deeper and give you a longer lasting tire, I have tried proline glue and I found it to be the worst one I have used so far. When you use he really thin glues be careful not to let it run onto the contact patch.
Old 10-24-2015, 09:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Sanding the wheel helps the tearing, but i also glue all of my sidewalls on all 4 corners. Helps with traction roll on high bite tracks. And for the tearing issue, the tires can be repaired by glueing. My tires were ripped almost off my wheels before i went to the classic, glued them and never had an issue all weekend. Placed 4th, so not bad on performance.
Old 10-25-2015, 01:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

This is awesome. Good job Corky. As many have already pointed out, you are your own type of moron.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.