Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Touring Car choices? >

Touring Car choices?

Touring Car choices?

Old 10-22-2015, 09:45 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Touring Car choices?

Hi chaps I'm new here and from the UK.

Getting back into 1/10 TC racing after a couple years away from the sport. A lot has changed since them and consequently I'm out of sync with which kits are currently ruling the roost etc.

Im having a really hard time deciding on which chassis is currently the right one for me, I've narrowed it down to these options:

Xray T4 '16
Associated TC6.2
Schumacher Mi5evo
( any other recommendations? )

I had the TC6.2 previously and loved it however I'm aware the TC7 is just over the horizon. AE aren't as popular as they once were and it seems most at my local track now strongly favour the Xray T4 of which I have no experience?
The schumacher i also have little experience but have considered it as they are Uk based so parts and support are a bonus with them.

Any advice would be appreciated before I invest in hopefully the right chassis.

Thanks.
Old 10-22-2015, 09:54 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

If I lived in the UK I would go with the Schumacher because of the support, but you certainly can't go wrong with Xray t4.
Old 10-22-2015, 09:59 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ben_r1 View Post
Hi chaps I'm new here and from the UK.

Getting back into 1/10 TC racing after a couple years away from the sport. A lot has changed since them and consequently I'm out of sync with which kits are currently ruling the roost etc.

Im having a really hard time deciding on which chassis is currently the right one for me, I've narrowed it down to these options:

Xray T4 '16
Associated TC6.2
Schumacher Mi5evo
( any other recommendations? )

I had the TC6.2 previously and loved it however I'm aware the TC7 is just over the horizon. AE aren't as popular as they once were and it seems most at my local track now strongly favour the Xray T4 of which I have no experience?
The schumacher i also have little experience but have considered it as they are Uk based so parts and support are a bonus with them.

Any advice would be appreciated before I invest in hopefully the right chassis.

Thanks.
I would have to say that any of the choices are good, I believe that ALL the high end kits are about the same....other than colour.....just my opinion! Xray is popular at my club because of part support...ATD hobbies does a killer job getting parts in FFFASTTT! I know people that use the latest greates AE car and have great results....again in there area parts are easy to get....I have seen a few good results with VBC....but I believe you have to get the part online....I watched a guy with a pair of TRF417's do just fine at a WSICS event....truly I believe that your best option is to go for the car that you have the best local support for.....they are ALL great cars. I am personally looking at a TRF419 only because of being a Tamiya fan....parts are gunna be tough to get.....but it's the love of Tamiya that made my mind up.

Good luck and whatever you choose HAVE FUN!
Old 10-22-2015, 10:07 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

For the price and performance if you can get it in the UK it's hard to beat VBC Wildfire D07 or the Ghost.
Old 10-22-2015, 11:17 AM
Tech Rookie

Red face

Originally Posted by v_squared View Post
For the price and performance if you can get it in the UK it's hard to beat VBC Wildfire D07 or the Ghost.
My local shop said they can get them in but the kit and any spares are all special order so I don't think supplies will be available enough?

The Schumacher is obviously the most convenient choice but I've heard them referred to as poomacher by more than a few racers thanks to their poor strength and constant updates making new models almost instantly obsolete. How true all this is I don't know as I've never dealt with them personally.

The Xray seems to be the all singing and dancing chassis of the moment, many of the local club drivers have converted to this and it seems to be winning everything internationally, although it does command the highest price tag. Durability seems to be up there but when they do break the spares are also expensive.

Now I've always had a thing for Associated cars, absolutely loved my TC6.2 so debating whether to stick to what I know or try something new? The TC6 is a little fragile in crashes but parts are reasonable, on top of that with the new TC7 on its way would it be best to wait or pick up the TC6 now? It's also the cheapest of the three.

Not considered the Yokomo BD7 as it's the most expensive and from the reviews not very durable and the Hobao is out too as I've had one of their models before and it was crap.
Old 10-22-2015, 12:16 PM
Tech Master

Just so many very good cars now... if there was some kind of overall impartial performance ranking system based on design and quality it would probably look like this:
1) Awesomatix
2) Schumacher
3) Xray
4) Yokomo
5) ARC
6) VBC
7) etc.

Last edited by DavidNERODease; 10-22-2015 at 12:34 PM.
Old 10-22-2015, 12:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Here is my experience with VBC, AE, and now XRay:

VBC - not again. Parts quality issues, fitment issues etc. Once the car was working, it worked great, but parts were hard to get, and just overall wasn't too happy with this kit. A lot of people are happy with this kit, and maybe I received a bad one, but my experience wasn't the greatest with it.

AE - while I didn't own one, a good buddy of mine runs for Associated (had a 6.2) and many times I had the pleasure of driving it an wrenching on it when something messed up and we tried to get him going for the next round. Overall seemed like a pretty decent kit.

XRAY - I just purchased a T4 '16. Haven't run it yet (electronics aren't here yet - should be today), and overall I'm fairly happy with the kit. Few issues like a screw here or there being messed up, and slightly tight arms (required a bit of polishing), but overall a very good kit. Hope to run it this weekend, but in general, I'm happy with it.

If I had to pick, my preference of cars would be:

XRAY
Yokomo
Serpent
ARC
Associated (not as many AE team guys running these now, so setup support is weak)

I personally would stay away from:
Shumacher
VBC

Just my .02 worth.

Seth

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 10-22-2015, 01:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

i've seen people who have loved and had much wheel time behind an associated TC chassis dont like the xray that much. so just take that into account
Old 10-22-2015, 01:01 PM
Tech Rookie

So much contradicting advice i suppose it comes down to personal choice, like I said I've always had a soft spot for Associated cars but I hear so many good things about the latest xray it's hard to dismiss them and once more many mixed reviews on the Schumy but sure would be handy with next day delivery direct from their factory for all spares.
Old 10-22-2015, 01:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

So much contradicting advice i suppose it comes down to personal choice, like I said I've always had a soft spot for Associated cars but I hear so many good things about the latest xray it's hard to dismiss them and once more many mixed reviews on the Schumy but sure would be handy with next day delivery direct from their factory for all spares.
Honestly, I would pick something with good parts support at your local track. That may be the deciding factor.

I personally don't race or practice every day of the week, so if I have a part break, and the shop doesn't have it, I'm done for at least the week anyway, so ordering a part online isn't a huge deal if the shop doesn't have it.

Honestly any of the modern TC platforms will be on pace...just more about parts support and how willing you are to haggle with fitment of bits.

Seth
Old 10-22-2015, 02:13 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

i just got back into RC after a decade off. I just purchased a serpent s411 and am very happy with it. I especially like the fact that i dont have to worry about a new kit coming out ever year.
Old 10-22-2015, 02:19 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default Awesomatix

I recently got an Awesomatix. I used to be a all Xray guy, but after the A700 my opinion has completely changed. The Xray may be stronger and easier to work on but in a spec class there is no car out there that can keep up with an Awesomatix. Shaft drive in spec classes has no competition from belts. Just my thoughts on the subject
Old 10-22-2015, 02:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Xray T4'15 or '16 are perfect out of the box fast cars without any weakness.
If you prefer blue, AE and the 6.2 be aware that this car needs a suspension conversion from TC4 and TC5 parts to get the most out of it. An issue I think that is fixed with the TC7. The 6.2 is not as bulletproof as a T4, but not brittle also...
I have both the T4'15 and TC6.2 (with suspension conversion) and like them both a lot.
Old 10-22-2015, 03:17 PM
Bar
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DavidNERODease View Post
Just so many very good cars now... if there was some kind of overall impartial performance ranking system based on design and quality it would probably look like this:
1) Awesomatix
2) Schumacher
3) Xray
4) Yokomo
5) ARC
6) VBC
7) etc.
Schumacher in second you must be joking, very poor quality as standard, performance yes once you have replaced most the standard parts, hopefully they sort it out for the next car they bring out
Old 10-22-2015, 11:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

I was in the same situation a year or two ago... Always an Associated guy and ran their touring cars, but I switched to Xray and I'm not looking back. The car was extremely responsive to any setup inputs and is very durable. I've broken one outdrive after two seasons of tight indoor carpet racing banging boards. Spares are expensive but you need one front arm, one rear arm, and a hub at most. I have also not seen anything come close to Xray's plastic quality. It was hard to change from the familiar Associated, but was worth it in the end.

That being said, buy for local parts support or favorite color. (Mine just happens to be Orange! )

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.