Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Touring Car choices? >

Touring Car choices?

Touring Car choices?

Old 10-23-2015, 05:03 PM
Tech Regular

If your new or like to hit boards get an xray.

If your more experienced and don't crash much get the yokomo.

Yokomo is actually pretty durable but the xray is certainly more durable.

The concensus from people I've heard from is that the yokomo turns better than an xray. Unfortunately if you hit stuff on the yokomo it throws off your suspension settings and you have to do more maintenance on things such as shocks and diffs as well.

I personally like to hit stuff but have the yokomo.
Old 10-23-2015, 07:31 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

First race weekend in the books and the Awesomatix comes in on top. I will say the Awesomatix is not durable like an xray. But for the fastest touring car on the market with the best corner speed. Awesomatix is the only choice
Old 10-23-2015, 08:17 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

I buy too many touring cars because I like building cars for fun and testing them out in racing. Anyways, my thoughts.

X-Ray T4 - The most solid car you can buy. People say its expensive but I think it is good value. The parts are high quality and you hardly ever have to replace parts. Much less wrench time than other cars. It is super tough too. Now that they include ECS in the latest version, it is an even better value.

Awesomatix - My favorite car and my primary race car. It is very high quality but the whole car is practically nothing but carbon and aluminum. You will need to know more about setup since it is so adjustable. It is not as solid as the X-Ray but its not fragile either. No other car like it, and great for spec classes.

VBC D06 - Most people including myself reported decent good fit/finish. It is not as good as X-Ray fit, nor are the plastics anywhere as durable, but not bad, and good value. It is still miles better than an Associated. I could never even get it to handle as good as my X-Ray T4 '13, no matter what I did. Not sure if its the geometry of the suspension or the stock chassis was too stiff for my track conditions.

Tamiya - I have the 418 with some conversion parts. The 419 is very good value now that the yen has dropped against the US dollar and Euro. It is high quality too but does have a few weak points. The c-hubs are notoriously weak and the stock turnbuckles are soft aluminum. Parts are fortunately very affordable. I would choose this over the Associated.

ARC car is good too. I don't own one but driven a few. I should have got one instead of my 418 at the time. Superb handling on asphalt and decent durability. Fit/finish not as good as X-ray but parts are much cheaper. It is one of the easiest cars to drive fast.

I would refrain from the Associated. There are just too many better cars out there for the same money. In my opinion, Associated is behind in quality compared to most of the big name competition.
Old 10-23-2015, 09:05 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Tamiya TB EVO 6.
Old 10-24-2015, 02:11 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Ben_r1 View Post
Heard of them but don't know anyone who's ever run one

Okay so I can safely narrow it down to the Xray and Schumy. Between the two I think the Xray is probably the better car but the Schumacher will have more support and parts availability plus they have pretty good guides online for setup starting points...
Xray parts availability is good, RCDisco do next day delivery, and there's usually enough people running the T4 to borrow something if you do have a freak breakage.

The xray kit setup is a great starting point for UK carpet. For outdoors you'll just want 2.7 springs and more ride height.
Old 10-24-2015, 03:11 AM
Tech Rookie

Looking good for the xray then chaps, I'm currently running a heavily modified Sprint 2 to get myself back up to speed and then I'll invest in a proper competition chassis.
Old 10-24-2015, 05:18 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I've tried a lot. They are all great. I tried a used awesomatix evo just to see what the hype was all about.... Wow! I got an evo2 and sold my other (brand) tcars. Ill be selling the evo and get the a800 for sure.
Old 10-26-2015, 12:15 AM
Tech Rookie

Any shouts for the 3racing Sakura ultimate 2014? You can pick them up nice and cheap at the moment almost half the price of the T4?

Also seen a 2nd hand Yoko BD7 for sale at half price would that be a worthwhile consideration?
Old 10-26-2015, 03:17 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ben_r1 View Post
Any shouts for the 3racing Sakura ultimate 2014? You can pick them up nice and cheap at the moment almost half the price of the T4?

Also seen a 2nd hand Yoko BD7 for sale at half price would that be a worthwhile consideration?
Had okay experience with XI but do expect the sakura ultimate 2014 to be much better. The rear toe setup is interesting as they offer 2 degree built in for rear upright. Wheel base is slightly shorter and range of adjustment is small. other components are pretty solid and often interchangeable with Tamiya and Xray. Aluminum quality is very good. Seems to share similar aluminum with Tamiya and machine quality is pretty good. The old XI diff is horrendous and I replaced it with Tamiya ones but I think they addressed the issue with ultimate. I think you will be happier with Sakura ultimate than AE offering. Parts are extremely cheap and of pretty good quality. The plastic is pretty strong too. I had a tc6 for a while and the durability and parts quality are not that good.
Old 10-31-2015, 09:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (60%+)

Try the ones you think your going to like. Sorry the post was very short. But in turn only you can see what car's your going to like. I mean I went to my local track and just asked guys about there car or car's! But overall I would say 1)xray 2)Detc410 3) Arc 2015. These are the three we see at my local track. This is due to parts support and I didn't list the Tc6.2 due to the new car will be coming out soon and this is with most of the top companies.
The Awesomatix was not listed as I have owned one but have never put it on the track due to the price tag on parts. I will say if you are at the level of not tapping during a full main, then yes buy this car. But with the A800 coming out and its a belt car. so the company gives you choices as far as different chassis go.

Last edited by racer034life; 11-01-2015 at 06:28 AM.