Wiki Posts
Search

Touring Car Tire Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 06:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default Touring Car Tire Questions

I am new to onroad and I have no idea what I am doing with tires. What is a decent tire to run for (car is Xray T4'15):
1. Parking lots and streets - not racing just messing around. Should I be using the slick type tires or the tires that are treaded?
2. Carpet racing (has to be foam)
3. carpet racing - Oval (has to be foam)
And should I be looking at 30mm or 26mm? Is that the width? And what shore for each of the above (street and carpet)?
Old 10-09-2015, 07:25 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Slapjack
I am new to onroad and I have no idea what I am doing with tires. What is a decent tire to run for (car is Xray T4'15):
1. Parking lots and streets - not racing just messing around. Should I be using the slick type tires or the tires that are treaded?
2. Carpet racing (has to be foam)
3. carpet racing - Oval (has to be foam)
And should I be looking at 30mm or 26mm? Is that the width? And what shore for each of the above (street and carpet)?
I only race touring cars on carpet but hopefully this will help you a little.

I would start with 42/40 or 40 front 37 rear shore if you are using additive.

If you are not using additive try slightly softer compounds to generate a little more grip.

37/35 without additive.

Some people like using a 30mm rear tire but on the newer chassis this is not always possible.

Hope that helps
Old 10-09-2015, 07:36 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by tc3team
I only race touring cars on carpet but hopefully this will help you a little.

I would start with 42/40 or 40 front 37 rear shore if you are using additive.

If you are not using additive try slightly softer compounds to generate a little more grip.

37/35 without additive.

Some people like using a 30mm rear tire but on the newer chassis this is not always possible.

Hope that helps
Yes, that gives me a place to start thanks... This is for Foam tires right?
Anyone have suggestion for rubber street tires?
Old 10-09-2015, 07:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

i started out with muchmore tires and i currently run jacos which i love in comparison to muchmore. i've heard good thing about sorex tires as well. btw i run on carpet and to run in a club race, you have to run a rubber tire w/ a touring car. if you want to run foam you may want to look into 12th scale pan or WGT car if your local club runs those

http://www.stormerhobbies.com/cgi-bi....pl?pn=JAC2432
Old 10-09-2015, 07:44 AM
Tech Champion

Yes, that gives me a place to start thanks... This is for Foam tires right?
Anyone have suggestion for rubber street tires?
yes, foam tyres

I use the T4 '13 and 30mm rear tyres do not fit. I had to trim a few mm off the inside lip and even then it's close. (the inside of the rim rubs on the lower shock mount).

I cannot be sure but I suspect the T4 '15 is the same...
Old 10-09-2015, 02:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Foam tires are not run anymore...
As for rubber tire, I think most people run Sweep qts 32's on carpet... For asphalt, Sorex is King, but always see what the spec tire for your club is first...
Old 10-09-2015, 03:00 PM
Tech Master

Foam is still run indoors in certain parts of the world.

When we used to run foam, i was doing orange/pink in the front and double pink in the back. Not sure how that translates to shore numbers today.

See what the guys at your track run, and go from there.

For out-door asphalt racing, a 32 tire seems to be the "norm". Sorex, sweep, team powers, all have good options. Again, see what the guys run and go from there. Get a chassis protector while you are at it.

For outdoor bashing, i don't recommend you use your XRAY. It will certainly do fine at un-prepaired pavement pounding. But it's the equivalent of driving a Lamborghini to pickup furniture. You can do it, but the car wasn't meant for it, and it will likely never be the same again.

But if you must bash with an Xray T4....hpi X-patterns are the way to go. Pickup a second chassis plate for $100 USD, while you are at it. Or spend $90 and buy a TT01 pavement pounder.
Old 10-09-2015, 03:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by (0000000000)
Foam is still run indoors in certain parts of the world.

When we used to run foam, i was doing orange/pink in the front and double pink in the back. Not sure how that translates to shore numbers today.

See what the guys at your track run, and go from there.

For out-door asphalt racing, a 32 tire seems to be the "norm". Sorex, sweep, team powers, all have good options. Again, see what the guys run and go from there. Get a chassis protector while you are at it.

For outdoor bashing, i don't recommend you use your XRAY. It will certainly do fine at un-prepaired pavement pounding. But it's the equivalent of driving a Lamborghini to pickup furniture. You can do it, but the car wasn't meant for it, and it will likely never be the same again.

But if you must bash with an Xray T4....hpi X-patterns are the way to go. Pickup a second chassis plate for $100 USD, while you are at it. Or spend $90 and buy a TT01 pavement pounder.
Sir Chuck.

X-Patterns frayed on my TCX with Castle Sidewinder 7700kv with 3s lipo 3 years ago. But Jaco nitro shooz worked fine! Loved it. I was doing power slides then. Ala drift king. Basta sige lang.

I loved parking lot runs then. Still an ignorami. I learned my costly lesson.

My car eroded like an eraser within 3 months.

Never again.
Attached Thumbnails Touring Car Tire Questions-imag0126.jpg   Touring Car Tire Questions-imag0123.jpg  
Old 10-12-2015, 01:27 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87
Foam tires are not run anymore...
Maybe not where you race, but other places do
Old 10-12-2015, 12:40 PM
Tech Master

Thanks for all the responses. I would prefer to just run rubber but the rules I got from this LHS track said Foam tires. I am going to check with them just to be sure that is what they actually are going to do. They haven't opened yet so the rules may change.
I realize the T4 wasn't meant to just drive it around in the street, but there isn't anywhere that really has a good track around here. I have the same problem with ,y offroad stuff. I have a tekno truggy, buggy and a xray buggy with only one small track to run at (the one I am planning to go to, I am not getting my hopes up for... They only have a small area inside the shop so Idk how great the track will be) and I don't want to just stare at it sitting there. Lol. Although I'd like to keep the T4 looking pretty. But I won't drive it on any beat up pot-holed lot. But anyways... College down the road has some real nice new parking lots.
A couple other questions I have...
1. how can I offset my wheels some? A couple bodies I was looking at are wide body like the protoform Cadillac and the HPI lexus ISF and I hate the way they look when the bodies stick out a lot more than the tires. 2. What is a flat-run tire? I was looking at some tire/wheel combos on ebay from china since I can't find anything like these at local places. Anyone every bought ones from any of the Chinese sellers?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/191556217305...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
http://www.ebay.com/itm/191573359151...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151560378095...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Last edited by Slapjack; 10-12-2015 at 01:31 PM.
Old 10-12-2015, 01:38 PM
Tech Master

Practicing by bashing around on asphalt for a foam tire carpet track doesn't make too much sense But to each their own. The experience gained in asphalt practice is minimal, and the setups will be totally different.

Those ebay tires are cheap and crappy-perfect for bashing around.
Old 10-12-2015, 04:03 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks for all the responses. I would prefer to just run rubber but the rules I got from this LHS track said Foam tires. I am going to check with them just to be sure that is what they actually are going to do. They haven't opened yet so the rules may change.
I realize the T4 wasn't meant to just drive it around in the street, but there isn't anywhere that really has a good track around here. I have the same problem with ,y offroad stuff. I have a tekno truggy, buggy and a xray buggy with only one small track to run at (the one I am planning to go to, I am not getting my hopes up for... They only have a small area inside the shop so Idk how great the track will be) and I don't want to just stare at it sitting there. Lol. Although I'd like to keep the T4 looking pretty. But I won't drive it on any beat up pot-holed lot. But anyways... College down the road has some real nice new parking lots.
A couple other questions I have...
1. how can I offset my wheels some? A couple bodies I was looking at are wide body like the protoform Cadillac and the HPI lexus ISF and I hate the way they look when the bodies stick out a lot more than the tires. 2. What is a flat-run tire? I was looking at some tire/wheel combos on ebay from china since I can't find anything like these at local places. Anyone every bought ones from any of the Chinese sellers?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/191556217305...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
http://www.ebay.com/itm/191573359151...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151560378095...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
If you buy some of those, let us know how you like them for parking lot bashing. I saw hobbypartz had them super cheap and was tempted to try some. I think the "run flat" means a solid rubber tire with no insert. The HPI A drifts were like that.
Old 10-12-2015, 04:18 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I've been using Sweep slicks on my touring cars. Strictly parking lots, never been to a track. Been surprised by how long they last.
Used the Hpi XPattern street tires. Worked very good for most part. Always seemed to end up blowing tire of wheel.
That's a plus I'd give for the Sweep tires. All of mine have be premounted. New or used. Worn the rubber through to the foam. But they stay glued.
So far I've used them on the following. Vaterra, Associated Apex and TC4, Serpent s411, and XRay T4.
As I'm not particular to a specific tire, surface makes difference how tire works.
Old 10-12-2015, 08:46 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by (0000000000)
Practicing by bashing around on asphalt for a foam tire carpet track doesn't make too much sense But to each their own. The experience gained in asphalt practice is minimal, and the setups will be totally different.

Those ebay tires are cheap and crappy-perfect for bashing around.
I'm not driving in te parking lots for practice for carpet track necessarily. I'm just driving in the lots because I have nowhere else to run at the moment. Obviously the two surfaces would be completely different but this is my first on road all together so I just want to get some driving in on any surface I can right now.
Old 10-12-2015, 08:52 PM
Tech Master

Who sells a chasis protector for the t4?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.