Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Change carpet onroad in the U.S.? >

Change carpet onroad in the U.S.?

Change carpet onroad in the U.S.?

Old 11-02-2015, 03:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

I think it really comes down to is do whats best for your track...let take the gate

the gate went to 25.5 in f1..now they car is more controllable they get 2heats of f1

the gate went to rubber tires on the wgt-r class that only started 2months ago & that class has grown to 2heats as well

usgt at the gate is bout heat & half

17.5 tc is about half heat

vta is bout a half heat

first time last week we tried 21.5tc & we had 6-7 cars on the first day
now a track that is hour or so away from the gate wants to try 21.5tc at their track now
so far what the gate has done was slow every class down...the results those classes has picked up...I cant speak on anybody else track but what they are doing is helping their track & listening to there members...
so do what best for your track...if 17.5 is booming at your track keep it
but if you go to another track they just might have different rules
Old 11-02-2015, 06:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Questions??

Originally Posted by theproffesor
Ok conspiracy theory time.

Manufacturers are around the world don't want open mod, they don't even want spec classes that are just a little more powerful than they need to be. They like that the U.S. Is stuck on 17.5. Why??? Because of two reasons. 1. We run out motors on the ragged edge and cook them on a regular basis. This requires new motors or at least rotors when they get damaged. 2. They can come out with a new faster 17.5 every few months and the market will jump and say thank you.

If we were running motors within there true power range, there wouldn't be a new, faster version on the same wind. You don't see manufactures bragging that they have the faster 8.5 turn do you? No, because if you wanted or needed faster you just get a 6.5 turn.

Now the conspiracy... Our glorious sanctioning bodies and the manufactures colluded knowing these facts to make 17.5 the class in the U.S. For some reason it stuck in onroad, but in off-road, with the exception of SCT, 17.5 has all but died out. And even 17.5 SCT is really only run, guess what, indoors...

Discuss.
?
Old 11-03-2015, 09:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by starrx
I think it really comes down to is do whats best for your track...let take the gate

the gate went to 25.5 in f1..now they car is more controllable they get 2heats of f1

the gate went to rubber tires on the wgt-r class that only started 2months ago & that class has grown to 2heats as well

usgt at the gate is bout heat & half

17.5 tc is about half heat

vta is bout a half heat

first time last week we tried 21.5tc & we had 6-7 cars on the first day
now a track that is hour or so away from the gate wants to try 21.5tc at their track now
so far what the gate has done was slow every class down...the results those classes has picked up...I cant speak on anybody else track but what they are doing is helping their track & listening to there members...
so do what best for your track...if 17.5 is booming at your track keep it
but if you go to another track they just might have different rules

:-) see my post a number pf pages back :-)
Old 11-03-2015, 09:26 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by ercwhtsd
:-) see my post a number pf pages back :-)
I'll have to look
Great minds think alike
Old 11-03-2015, 10:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
?
I was wearing a tinfoil hat as I typed that. I apologize for any discomfort that my statement may have caused.

You are now returned to your regularly scheduled nonsense. 😝😝😝
Old 11-03-2015, 12:29 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by theproffesor
I was wearing a tinfoil hat as I typed that. I apologize for any discomfort that my statement may have caused.

You are now returned to your regularly scheduled nonsense. 😝😝😝
Old 11-03-2015, 12:45 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

You have basically 5 different motor options as far as class goes (maybe 6): 25.5, 21.5, 17.5, 13.5 and Open Mod (some would say 10.5 as well). We in the US live in a culture where everything needs to be fast: fast food, fast cars, fast computers, etc. Another problem is there is very little motivation to move up and so we have a bunch of fast guys in 17.5, and even 13.5, but there are very few Americans making noise at the world level, while you see A-mains (and quite a few of the upper mains in general) at the top events (including the IFMAR Worlds) populated with Europeans and Asians and most of the Yanks are languishing in the G Main or so, with a few making the upper mains on occasion. Im not saying that Americans need to dominate per se, but Id like to see more guys actually progress and start pushing some of these hot shoes from Germany and Japan and other places. Now we may be looking at two different issues with my saying that, but I think that that needs to be addressed as much as anything
Old 11-03-2015, 12:51 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Ok, normally I run 17.5 TC and USGT but weekend I ran 21.5 TC.
As far as straight away speed goes, its the same as USGT. Lap times though are about half a second quicker than USGT due to better tires.
The car was a lot easier to drive than a 17.5TC or USGT and was way more consistent.
The racing was a lot closer as well as lap times. For a newbie, it's an obvious choice over 17.5 or USGT.

The only problem I see is if stock TC goes 21.5, and gains in popularity, then USGT runs the risk of dying out unless it drops to 25.5T. I can't see many people running 21.5 TC and USGT at the same time.

What if USGT simply becomes the new Stock TC? I mean they have "stock" tires, with treads, stock bodies, BMW, Porsche, Nissan Cadillac and so on.
17.5 TC becomes Super Stock, and Modified is anything 10.5T or lower.
USVTA can be the "amateur" class.
Instead of changing motors, we simply change the names of the classes and everyone is happy

Speaking of happy, I stuck a 10.5T motor in my 17.5 car this weekend and had a blast. Why is this class not more popular, I love it
Old 11-03-2015, 01:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

So 21.5 is better than 17.5.... And 10.5 is a blast compared to 17.5.... Lmao
Old 11-03-2015, 01:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Grease I agree with one exception. Drop 17.5 and make it 13.5. Create a larger gap between the two.
Old 11-03-2015, 01:53 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Racermac73
So 21.5 is better than 17.5.... And 10.5 is a blast compared to 17.5.... Lmao
LOL but basically, yes. 21.5 is better than 17.5 because it's easier for newbies.
And 10.5 is a blast compared to 17.5, for me.
Old 11-03-2015, 02:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

i don't think usgt will die off if 21.5 tc was an class...because there 2 different rules & specs for each class...i think it would be easer for someone to run both classes...as of now most ppl have 2 or more tc's & two or more 21.5

right now im in the middle of building a wgt-r car...that's where my 17.5 is going
Old 11-03-2015, 02:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

This thread has legs!

Carpet racing thrives in the northwest (and by thrive I mean consistent, multi-heat turnouts over several years, novices racers graduated to full-speed classes, and financially sustainable venues), and while we have certainly made adjustments over time, we have also been consistent in our offerings. Touring cars in particular have always been strong.

Scale Spec: 25.5 Novak or 540-J motor, 1450 g., scale-appropriate tires, cool bodies.
Stock TC: ROAR-spec. ROAR 17.5 motors. We have always spec'd a tire.
Mod TC: ROAR-spec. Also a spec tire.

Novice is run what ya' brung, mostly TC's with lower power motors.

One thing that is very important, and possibly contrary to expectation, is that we do not promote classes as being progressive. That is, people are free to find their "home" in a class, and get their race on. It is a not-uncommon thing to see a Mod/Scale Spec double up by a single racer. Far from cherry-picking, it gives guys freedom to scratch an itch when it suits them. All racing classes are considered high skill endeavors.

Certainly, some take their racing more seriously than others, but we dispatch entirely with the notion of "moving up." That is anathema to long-term sustainability in a program. Dedication to scale racing, or stock racing, is every bit as gratifying as dedication to Mod.
Old 11-04-2015, 12:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

This thread has legs!

Carpet racing thrives in the northwest (and by thrive I mean consistent, multi-heat turnouts over several years, novices racers graduated to full-speed classes, and financially sustainable venues), and while we have certainly made adjustments over time, we have also been consistent in our offerings. Touring cars in particular have always been strong.

Scale Spec: 25.5 Novak or 540-J motor, 1450 g., scale-appropriate tires, cool bodies.
Stock TC: ROAR-spec. ROAR 17.5 motors. We have always spec'd a tire.
Mod TC: ROAR-spec. Also a spec tire.

Novice is run what ya' brung, mostly TC's with lower power motors.

One thing that is very important, and possibly contrary to expectation, is that we do not promote classes as being progressive. That is, people are free to find their "home" in a class, and get their race on. It is a not-uncommon thing to see a Mod/Scale Spec double up by a single racer. Far from cherry-picking, it gives guys freedom to scratch an itch when it suits them. All racing classes are considered high skill endeavors.

Certainly, some take their racing more seriously than others, but we dispatch entirely with the notion of "moving up." That is anathema to long-term sustainability in a program. Dedication to scale racing, or stock racing, is every bit as gratifying as dedication to Mod.

Very well said - and I too love that you don't force drivers to move up...I race the class(es) I feel comfortable with - and if I don't like how a track or club has its structure, I won't run it. I race because I enjoy it - on some tracks, that may be MOD, or others it may be USVTA speeds.
Old 11-04-2015, 12:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PutAwayWet
This thread has legs!

Very well stated and I agree 100%. I could never get much satisfaction out of doing well because the talented drivers were forced out of a class. I'd rather compete with a good driver even if it means getting beat 9 out of 10 times. From what I've seen having good drivers in a class tends to pick everybody's game up.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.