Sugar Watering a track

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 11:15 PM
NR
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Default Sugar Watering a track

Hi Guys,

I just wanted to get some insight in to how some of you prepare your On Road Asphalt tracks.

We are looking to give ourselves a heap of grip and use sugar to do so. We have used soft drink in the past which we found useless.

Was thinking a mix of 8kg's of sugar to 20 litres of water would be a good starting point or maybe too thick?

Look forward to your thoughts.

Nathan
Old 01-28-2014, 11:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I'm new to on road, but isn't half the fun trying to find your cars sweet spot between speed and retaining traction? :P
Old 01-28-2014, 11:26 PM
NR
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Chamelion
I'm new to on road, but isn't half the fun trying to find your cars sweet spot between speed and retaining traction? :P
HAHA, not when there's no traction to retain in the first place
Old 01-28-2014, 11:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

We found it best to use some soft drink to initially dissolve the sugar then top up the sprayer with water. We used 2 of the 10ltr pressurised weed sprayers for the AERCCC track. Per container we used 2 kg white sugar, 2 Ltrs red soda/cola and top up with water. Shake well. This mix needs sunshine to set. If it's cold or damp forget it.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NR
HAHA, not when there's no traction to retain in the first place
I know I am not a top driver but I always find the grip at SMA pretty good,
yeah tyre wear can be a little high but will sugar water solve that ?

Tyre wear didn't always be that high there, was the boral coat applied correctly last time it was coated ? (not that I think it needs to be reapplied)
Old 01-29-2014, 12:14 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

VHT
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PJ1_TrackBite
Old 01-29-2014, 12:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Which soft drink did you use? I think grape soda is the best with the most sugar content. Track was tacky to walk on. Just be sure to blow it off first so that the sugar isn't sticking to the dust/dirt.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:22 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

VHT.
We did try sugar water and soda at the old Kambah track which did nothing.
Using VHT made it go from zero grip - to mega grip. Although VHT and methanol costs a bit.
Only thing with VHT is, that once you start using it the track surface losers it grip a lot when you don't use it.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:10 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

VHT is not an option

Would prefer to hear more from the US guys, us aussies have no idea when it comes to prepping tracks

@Jimmymac we used cola. Grape soda isn't easy to find for us
Old 01-29-2014, 03:41 AM
Tech Master

With sugar water, soda, lemonade ect the key is to use a very light even covering. Often the cheaper no name brands contain higher qty of sugar.

If it is humid it might also pay to spray the track the day before and don't add any during race day.

Very important to clean the track before spraying.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I don't know the full process at my local track but they always blow the track off really well before prepping it. Then, last year they used sugar water all year and the track was always in good shape. I don't know if they mixed the sugar with any soda or not but I don't remember them doing so. After they spray the track they drag it with a chunk of flat rubber behind a lawn tractor to smooth and even out the prep.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:43 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by CraigM
VHT is not an option

Would prefer to hear more from the US guys, us aussies have no idea when it comes to prepping tracks

@Jimmymac we used cola. Grape soda isn't easy to find for us
I use straight rootbeer and apply 3 light coats from a weed sprayer or until my shoes "stick" to the parking lot. I have tried grape as well with less than desirable results. Cola syrup mixed 2:1 works really also. I do blow off the lot the night before.

The biggest thing is temperature and sunlight, our parking lot doesn't get hit with full sun until around 10:00 a.m.. So part of the track will be good and part will be slick until the sun hits it and evaporates the water from the spray.

I have also noticed differences in traction with different asphalt temperatures. Under 60F traction just doesn't seem to be optimal, over 130F it gets a "greasy" feeling.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:56 AM
Tech Regular

From our experience with our track, the amount of sugar you mix with water depends on whether the asphalt is sealed or not. Unsealed generally needs a heavy dose of sugar in the mix whereas sealed asphalt you need to back off on the sugar. We have had good luck with just spraying soda uncut on the track, but the sugar content of the soda is important as it varies between brands. I look at the nutrition label and make sure it has at least 38g sugar per 8oz serving. Anything less and your pretty much just spraying carbonated water on the track. And be sure to pay attention to the serving size on the label.......some use a 12 or 14 oz serving size which would cut the amount of sugar present.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:11 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by ercwhtsd
The biggest thing is temperature and sunlight, our parking lot doesn't get hit with full sun until around 10:00 a.m..
Wow, our tracks don't get hit with full sun until around August, maybe that's why nobody here uses sugar
Old 01-29-2014, 07:17 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Troy Carter
I don't know the full process at my local track but they always blow the track off really well before prepping it. Then, last year they used sugar water all year and the track was always in good shape. I don't know if they mixed the sugar with any soda or not but I don't remember them doing so. After they spray the track they drag it with a chunk of flat rubber behind a lawn tractor to smooth and even out the prep.
Mike was doing a 1/2 bag of sugar in a 5 gallon bucket if I remember right. 25 lb bag??? This is for a track with a 225' straight. I think he used 2 buckets.

Anyway he would mix it up with a drill with an impeller bit.

The track got better as the track got hotter most days. The heat does something to the sugar. I know that it has been recommended to boil the water and add the sugar for the same reason.

Pop syrup is not the same since its mostly fructose corn syrup. That seems to get a little greasy as it heats up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.