R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-14-2005, 03:05 PM   #91
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Does Li-Po has PRO MATCH, TEAM MATCH or ZAPPED in the future...? Can they MATCH...? Just wondering....
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 03:26 PM   #92
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Its a possibility as matchers will find a way to increase power to increase their sales $$$$$$$. Imagine in a not to distant future Promatch, SMC & others will be selling lipo power.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:35 PM   #93
Tech Adept

From what Orion said it is already much more powerfull and 30% longer run time !
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 04:14 PM   #94
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I have been using LiPo's in R/C planes for ~2 years. I too wondered about matching but from what I understand the LiPo's are much closer in output than NiMh cells and you never run them down to lower voltages so there is no point to matching.

We equalize NiMh cells using a discharge tray. LiPo's are "balanced" using a cell balancer during charging. It monitors the individual cells during charging and makes sure all of them get power until they hit 4.2V. Once a cell hits 4.2V power to that cell is shut off and the other cells continue to charge until they hit 4.2V

Chargers are different too. LiPo's never peak they will keep taking a charge and going up in voltage until they turn into a fire ball. As a result you have to use a LiPo charger.

LiPo chargers are constant current/constant voltage chargers. If you know a LiPo batt is fully charged when it hits 4.2V per cell (Orion's pack has two cells so 8.4V) your charger will pump 8.4V into the cells at 1C ( 1 x the Amp hour rating of the cell. Orions pack is 4800mAh or 4.8Ah so you have to charge it at 4.8A). When your charge starts the charger will put out 8.4V at 4.8A. As the battery charges its voltage come up. As the voltage comes up Ohm's law comes into effect and the chargers amperage output decreases until the battery hits 8.4V and charger output drops to 0.0A. At this point the charger beeps and your are ready to run.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 08:30 PM   #95
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

soo... do you think true TC and off road racing will ever use these at big events or ROAR or IFMAR ever oking them? or if so do you think it will be its own class like brushless is. or do you think they are just going to be for fun and stuff like that. i just dont like the diea of going out and buying 3800s and then you get beat by a guy that has the money to blow on $200 lipo packs.
Old 11-15-2005, 08:35 PM   #96
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

That will always be the case. 99% of all the big meets are won by sponsored drivers of some sort. Get use to it like me
Old 11-16-2005, 06:08 AM   #97
Tech Adept

I think it should be seen differently, Lipo packs can be used more times a day than regular batteries. They don't get hot like regular batts, while charging or discharging. So eventually instead of needing 4 or 6 regular packs you could do with only 2 lipo packs, pricewise it evens out at the end. Plus Lipo are more consistent cycle after cycle.
Nano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 07:32 AM   #98
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nano
I think it should be seen differently, Lipo packs can be used more times a day than regular batteries. They don't get hot like regular batts, while charging or discharging. So eventually instead of needing 4 or 6 regular packs you could do with only 2 lipo packs, pricewise it evens out at the end. Plus Lipo are more consistent cycle after cycle.
This is true. LiPo's have no memory at all. If you use 3600mAh out of a 4800 pack all you have to do is charge it back up and race. There is absolutly no benifit to discharging a LiPo before charging it.

The rules for 2006 are set already so no LiPo for ROAR/IFMAR racing in 2006. However, there are more club races than big events every year and local tracks make adjustments in rules to fit the needs of the locals. I bet guys will race them locally very shortly.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:27 AM   #99
Tech Legend

Is it true Orion is offering a package deal for the new Li-po ?

Purchase the battery & the charger together & get a special price ?
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 04:54 AM   #100
Tech Initiate

But also try and use 4800+ out of a 4800 lipo and no more lipo.
They do get hot when running and will still not stand any abuse like momentary shorting - which NiMh will just about. Overheat them then they are finished too. So 2 packs a day is unrealistic.
Its all very well being able to use them a few times a day but they cant be charged very fast, even at 1c rate the charge current had to taper at the end so it will take over an hour, a couple for a nearly flat cell. The life shortens a lot the faster you charge them, 0.7c seems a reasonable balance.
Good thing is the technology is improving very quickly at the moment, and by the time we all race them the price shoudl be better too.
I am very much for these cells and brushless motors.....
Smartarse88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 08:35 AM   #101
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartarse88
But also try and use 4800+ out of a 4800 lipo and no more lipo.
They do get hot when running and will still not stand any abuse like momentary shorting - which NiMh will just about. Overheat them then they are finished too. So 2 packs a day is unrealistic.
Its all very well being able to use them a few times a day but they cant be charged very fast, even at 1c rate the charge current had to taper at the end so it will take over an hour, a couple for a nearly flat cell. The life shortens a lot the faster you charge them, 0.7c seems a reasonable balance.
Good thing is the technology is improving very quickly at the moment, and by the time we all race them the price shoudl be better too.
I am very much for these cells and brushless motors.....
And also whats the point if your still stuck with a 1500gram min weight limit in 10th t/c, must go and find all those stick on lead rim weights a Scotty
(milton M/C's Gravesend)
losiboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 09:37 AM   #102
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

From what I was told, these cells are somewhat different to standard lipo cells in that they are much more robust. A +10 minute run with a 19/23T motor and the battery felt just like it did off the charger...can't say the same for the motor ...good stuff.
rtypec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 11:00 AM   #103
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtypec
From what I was told, these cells are somewhat different to standard lipo cells in that they are much more robust. A +10 minute run with a 19/23T motor and the battery felt just like it did off the charger...can't say the same for the motor ...good stuff.
I have heard the same things you have. I am sure Orion will release more info at the appropriate time.

Just remember, Orion dosen't put their name on junk and they very, very rarely make mistakes.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:21 AM   #104
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

thanks for all your input adrain. i guess ill be sticking to normal 6-cell packs for 2006. but who knows what 2007 will bring
Old 11-21-2005, 10:06 AM   #105
Tech Adept

Any idea when they reach the shops ?
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote