Like Tree1Likes

New IRIS by AME

Old 10-14-2015, 11:16 AM
  #76  
Tech Adept
 
The Big Wig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: A.K.A. Barry White
Posts: 172
Default

Originally Posted by perzeus View Post
I just checked and Xray seems to be posting a healthy profit, and that with a fraction of the sales volume of Tamiya or Kyosho. There are actually quite a few manufacturers, so I don't thing it's a bad business to be in.

The IRIS is a very nice looking concept, with a lot of valid points and creative solutions. Hope it gets produced, even if the kickstarter campaign fails. Although I find that what the RC sport needs is to lower the initial costs more than anything else. So another 500+ euro chassis will not make a revolution here.
And that's why I hate Xray. They allways copy and paste, copy and paste. Come up with some crazy article like they invented the wheel or something. Cheaply produce their parts in east Europe (where wage is low) but still on high quality machines with high quality materials. They rob other manufacturers smart ideas and put their label on it. That's why I'm selling al my Hudy stuff.
The Big Wig is offline  
Old 10-15-2015, 02:52 AM
  #77  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 120
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by jorgesimes View Post
Like i said i understand your point of view. But theres more than a project on play here.
32 people bought a car on kickstarter based on CAD drawings and without any promotional effort. it is such a pity with a little bit of effort he would have made his goal by know.

i don't think you understand my point of view, i actually want the kickstarter to succeed.
your vague comments are serving what? that somehow there is a very good reason that you can't possibly tell anyone why he can't spare 30 minutes a day to post on his own kickstarter, to reply on forums and to get his sponsors to post something?

when asking for support through kickstarter you have to show you are dedicated to the project, nobody cares that there is "more at play".

instead of rallying for support on here we get a close friend who post about "more at play", really?
atomic garden is offline  
Old 10-15-2015, 04:37 AM
  #78  
Tech Addict
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Portugal
Posts: 586
Default

Originally Posted by atomic garden View Post
instead of rallying for support on here we get a close friend who post about "more at play", really?
I'm speaking on my own name and not on the behalf of AME. I will try to get him here, but he has been travelling alot lately due to some professional duties.

In the meantime here is again the kickstarter campaign: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...project-iris-0
jorgesimes is offline  
Old 10-15-2015, 05:55 AM
  #79  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (376)
 
peter george's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: queens ny
Posts: 9,664
Trader Rating: 376 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by jorgesimes View Post
I'm speaking on my own name and not on the behalf of AME. I will try to get him here, but he has been travelling alot lately due to some professional duties.

In the meantime here is again the kickstarter campaign: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...project-iris-0
As long as it's not another $500 plus sedan I'm on board. Hope it does well
peter george is offline  
Old 10-15-2015, 10:13 AM
  #80  
Tech Master
iTrader: (15)
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,613
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by peter george View Post
As long as it's not another $500 plus sedan I'm on board. Hope it does well
If it cost less than $500 I will buy one!
glennhl is offline  
Old 10-15-2015, 11:16 AM
  #81  
Tech Adept
 
The Big Wig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: A.K.A. Barry White
Posts: 172
Default

I've seen the project posted on a german site like 2 (18 days too late) days ago and tadaa: 6 more backers.
The Big Wig is offline  
Old 10-15-2015, 11:36 AM
  #82  
Tech Adept
 
Andreas_Myrberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Weinstadt, Germany
Posts: 104
Default

Hi guys

Nice to see that things are happening on this forum.
I was surprised as I did not get any emails about any replies.

Since I am working on Forums in
America (this one)
Sweden,
Germany 2
England
Japan
Singapore

I normally wait for emails to see that there are replies instead of checking in on the different everyday. Mistake from my side.
I have also made interviews with RC online magazines in Germany, Italy, Switzerland and Singapore and Japan.
On Facebook I do not update to much, as I want people to go onto the Kickstarter page instead of only the Facebook page where there is no possibility to make a pledge.

Within Kickstarter people have asked questions, I have answered 100% of them.
On Facebook people have asked questions, I have answered 100% of them. Public and private ones.

I did a lot of pre marketing of the release as well as the release it self.

It is still 10 days left, so I am not giving up, however looking at the result its clear that.
1. I am not good enough to market something like this on Kickstarter.
2. I don't think its the correct platform, something I have now learned.
3. Not enough people seem to have money to spare now, for products later, which is what people has written to me the most. I love it, but I can't afford to pay now and get later is what a lot of people tell me.


Still many people ask me why I did it this way, doing it on a Crowdfunding base instead of the "normal" way. The answer is unfortunately easy. I can't afford to wait.

For various reasons, which if you are really interested you can read on my blog on my homepage (www.team-ame.com), my situation is and has not been easy since last year August approx.

I am on the point where I needed to see if I could make Project Iris happen though Kickstart and if not then I need to take a turn in my career and get the money in some other way.
Iris will still happen, eventually, but there won't be any big effort on world wide support, spare parts, race team etc etc.

RC is my and has always been my passion and I will still run AME and still be active. T-Shox V2 will soon be released (with a pressure compensator and my AME Geardiff will also hit the market. These products the full blown support and sales way.

However a car project is much more difficult and much more expensive then some "minor" option parts.

The fact that I have been away working with other things to make some money and not always had internet access, is only a bad excuss instead of doing what it takes. However, I honestly did not know that there was any actions on this thread until my friend mr SrD, told me today, hence here I am

I will check in on this thread minimum 1 time per day and try to answer any questions you might have.

Best regards
Andreas
Andreas_Myrberg is offline  
Old 10-15-2015, 12:48 PM
  #83  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: My house.
Posts: 3,567
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Small but sure steps Andreas. Could offer a conversion for rotary shocks for some cars...
30Tooth is offline  
Old 10-15-2015, 01:08 PM
  #84  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (1)
 
daveaustin5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 482
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

I admire you, it must have been a massive challenge just to design the car.

To actually get as far as you have and have so much pledged is a hell of an achievement so I wouldn't put yourself down too much.

The car looks fantastic. If there was a prototype and it was performing well I think the kickstarter might have gone a bit differently.

Good luck, I hope it makes it to market.
daveaustin5 is offline  
Old 10-15-2015, 03:50 PM
  #85  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (20)
 
svndayNZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Auckland
Posts: 440
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by perzeus View Post
I just checked and Xray seems to be posting a healthy profit, and that with a fraction of the sales volume of Tamiya or Kyosho. There are actually quite a few manufacturers, so I don't thing it's a bad business to be in.

The IRIS is a very nice looking concept, with a lot of valid points and creative solutions. Hope it gets produced, even if the kickstarter campaign fails. Although I find that what the RC sport needs is to lower the initial costs more than anything else. So another 500+ euro chassis will not make a revolution here.
Not a bad business is far from a great business. RC is one of the smallest industries in the world, in fact it's 2% of the size of the cycling industry.

Xray's profits come from their Hudy lines, the margins in a screw driver being manufactured for $1.03 and being sold at $12.99 are huge.
svndayNZ is offline  
Old 10-15-2015, 08:44 PM
  #86  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (12)
 
silden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 968
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by The Big Wig View Post
And that's why I hate Xray. They allways copy and paste, copy and paste. Come up with some crazy article like they invented the wheel or something. Cheaply produce their parts in east Europe (where wage is low) but still on high quality machines with high quality materials. They rob other manufacturers smart ideas and put their label on it. That's why I'm selling al my Hudy stuff.
I really like your comments about copying of other designs and the low wage in Europe. Because all other manufacturer are not copying and pay their Chinese workers a lot of money. Sarcasm off.
Xray is selling a lot of cars because their cars have a much better quality. fit and finish. I have a 419 and the so called keyed in suspension mounts have at least 3-4 tenth of play around the key. The keyed in parts on a European made car are really keyed inn.

Andreas is doing what he can, but some guys here on the forum are bashing this project since day one.
Back to topic.
silden is offline  
Old 10-16-2015, 02:33 AM
  #87  
Tech Adept
 
Andreas_Myrberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Weinstadt, Germany
Posts: 104
Default

Originally Posted by 30Tooth View Post
Small but sure steps Andreas. Could offer a conversion for rotary shocks for some cars...
I thought about that, however to be able to do that in a "good" way there are so many parts that need to be changed that it really makes no sense and its "almost" as easy to make a complete car
Andreas_Myrberg is offline  
Old 10-16-2015, 02:38 AM
  #88  
Tech Adept
 
Andreas_Myrberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Weinstadt, Germany
Posts: 104
Default

Originally Posted by daveaustin5 View Post
I admire you, it must have been a massive challenge just to design the car.

To actually get as far as you have and have so much pledged is a hell of an achievement so I wouldn't put yourself down too much.

The car looks fantastic. If there was a prototype and it was performing well I think the kickstarter might have gone a bit differently.

Good luck, I hope it makes it to market.

Yes it took a lot of time just figuring out how I would get everything to fit and the placement etc.
I am not putting myself down, this is life, it continues, so does Iris

Yes I agree I would have needed a prototype. I actually postponed the release of Iris for 3-4 months because I really tried to make a prototype happen. When I finally got all information about the cost, but mainly the time until a prototype would be finished I calculated that it will take to long time for me and my situation at the moment. So I had to go for it. I have no regrets

It will make it, sometime someday and it will be awesome
Andreas_Myrberg is offline  
Old 10-16-2015, 08:00 AM
  #89  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: My house.
Posts: 3,567
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Andreas_Myrberg View Post
I thought about that, however to be able to do that in a "good" way there are so many parts that need to be changed that it really makes no sense and its "almost" as easy to make a complete car
Then the most sensible decision might be the T-Shox v2 and gear diffs, all TC cars can use those parts so you already have a large base to start a brand. You could even do a one size T-Shox and offer the suitable shock tower depending on the car where they would be applied, depending which is cheaper and easier to make - carbon shock towers or shock bodies and shock shafts.
30Tooth is offline  
Old 10-16-2015, 08:58 AM
  #90  
Tech Adept
 
The Big Wig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: A.K.A. Barry White
Posts: 172
Default

Originally Posted by silden View Post
I really like your comments about copying of other designs and the low wage in Europe. Because all other manufacturer are not copying and pay their Chinese workers a lot of money. Sarcasm off.
Xray is selling a lot of cars because their cars have a much better quality. fit and finish. I have a 419 and the so called keyed in suspension mounts have at least 3-4 tenth of play around the key. The keyed in parts on a European made car are really keyed inn.

Andreas is doing what he can, but some guys here on the forum are bashing this project since day one.
Back to topic.
funny
The Big Wig is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.