Like Tree309Likes

New IRIS by AME

Old 12-04-2022, 01:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

its like anything else on the internet, without actually driving one, touching one or seeing one everyone has a opinion ,
Isaac likes this.
Old 12-04-2022, 02:07 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by gigaplex View Post
Seems like the worst of both worlds. Lowering belt tension decreases friction but increases the chances of belt skipping. This 3 belt setup will still have more friction even with the loose belts, and still have increased chances of belt skips. Plus the orientation of the belt pushes the motor further away from centreline which is not ideal.
i seriously doubt if the guys kicking my ass on the track buy this car i will all of a sudden be faster because of a little extra friction.
Isaac and WayneKerr like this.
Old 12-04-2022, 05:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

Right now all we have are the pictures. So questions are as natural as dirt. And just as messy!

I admire the tech. Always.
Isaac, Robbob, glennhl and 1 others like this.
Old 12-06-2022, 07:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Manual is up online
Old 12-06-2022, 09:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dan the Man View Post
Thanks for the heads up.

And congratulations to Andreas Myrberg
There is some bold, clever stuff going on in the Iris.
Sir 51D3WAYS likes this.
Old 12-06-2022, 10:01 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

ah, so they did go the route of shimming the upper bulkhead for RCH adjustment.
Old 12-06-2022, 10:01 AM
Tech Elite

very interesting manual - lots of adjustments possible including inserts in arms in line with more inserts in bulkheads.

I actually think the camber setup with shims is cool - anyway camber is a set-at-1.75-degrees-and-forget setup...

How does one bleed the dampers?
Old 12-06-2022, 10:39 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Manual is a bit disappointing, they should have been more detailed about building the shocks and general setup. Hopefully they will have the videos up before people start building. Now just waiting on a US distributor.

Patrick
disaster999 likes this.
Old 12-06-2022, 05:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Ok, this is going to be a stupid question but I don't know so whatever. Why do they use a heave shock in the front but not the rear? Can someone explain the heave shock?
Old 12-06-2022, 06:43 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by The Teacher View Post
Ok, this is going to be a stupid question but I don't know so whatever. Why do they use a heave shock in the front but not the rear? Can someone explain the heave shock?
Not a stupid question at all, I just searched heave suspension on Youtube. Seems to have some pretty good vids on it.
The Teacher likes this.
Old 12-06-2022, 06:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by The Teacher View Post
The heave element prevents the front end from bottoming out during pitching from braking. Only effective when both the front suspension is compressed. During cornering, the heave damper doesn't come into play.
The Teacher and glennhl like this.
Old 12-06-2022, 11:41 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Pretty disappointing to see the adjustment for camber/caster relies on shims. pretty much eliminates any quick adjustments and require the 2 ball stud to be completely backed out, guess the thickness of shim needed, reassemble everything, put the car back on the setup station, just do repeat everything again if its not enough. Also with all these loosening and tightening of the ball stud into plastic arm, its just a matter of time before you strip those threads.

I have a feeling a lot of people will just adapt the Awesomatix style double turnbuckle upper arm instead.
Old 12-06-2022, 11:51 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by disaster999 View Post
Pretty disappointing to see the adjustment for camber/caster relies on shims. pretty much eliminates any quick adjustments and require the 2 ball stud to be completely backed out, guess the thickness of shim needed, reassemble everything, put the car back on the setup station, just do repeat everything again if its not enough. Also with all these loosening and tightening of the ball stud into plastic arm, its just a matter of time before you strip those threads.

I have a feeling a lot of people will just adapt the Awesomatix style double turnbuckle upper arm instead.
someone will come up with shims that's basically the shape of the rcmaker arm clips for the AX and problem solved. Just back it out enough to add and remove the shim, retighten and boom, camber change done.
With all the fullscale prototype / openwheel inspired design on this car, I'm surprised they didn't rip a page out of that book either.

Old 12-07-2022, 02:48 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by WayneKerr View Post
someone will come up with shims that's basically the shape of the rcmaker arm clips for the AX and problem solved. Just back it out enough to add and remove the shim, retighten and boom, camber change done.
With all the fullscale prototype / openwheel inspired design on this car, I'm surprised they didn't rip a page out of that book either.
Exactly what I was thinking - horseshoe shaped inserts would make setup changes much quicker. If the chassis is rigid enough, a setup station is needed only for confirmation and setup shouldn't move even after a crash.
Well, it would work that way, if they included some setup table in the manual... The whole manual feels a but messy, without explanation how can you change the setup.
Old 12-07-2022, 04:16 AM
Tech Initiate

Can someone explain to me how to set the caster.
I don't see anything there that I know from the MTC 2, for example.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.