Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
What kind of tires for concret drifting? >

What kind of tires for concret drifting?

Old 09-15-2015, 07:07 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default What kind of tires for concret drifting?

Old 09-16-2015, 02:51 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by micro510 View Post
Use whatever you find on Evilbay.
Drifting is not a class that racers care for, so enjoy and get some of those sparkly ones, they make you feel better.
Then get a real car and race where tuning, lines and skill matter.
I've seen 10-20 "drifters" come racing and every time....LAST.
I have asked many people and I still am confused by the relevance of drifting...
Really, the slowest and most inefficient way of going around a track.
I suppose it's like ice ballet (and we all love that) against the Olympic 100 metres.
One is show and one is go.
Get yourself a real car and race.

Your question..
Tyres... I have a few drifters for fun and it doesn't matter ebay and $10.00 your happy. I like the ones with sparks.
Old 09-16-2015, 03:49 AM
Tech Apprentice

What is REALLY cool is to set up a car to be on the edge in a real racing class and then surf the traction to get the best lap possible. Drifting at 100%.
Then use the hardest tyres and high ride height. The car floats and moves, that's real drifting.
On the edge in any class is drifting but at 400% faster. A race car moves and slides and keeping it under control is the trick.

Try Pro-10 if you think you can drive. The fastest and most unforgiving of them all.

I went drifting once with an old tourer chassis and ate the "we're so cool we're drifters" in one session. They were so intent to show me how it was done and when I nailed it and said "SO" They did their best in one session, I walked away and said, "you guys really need to race". This is nowhere.
drifting is for video gamers, racing is for acheivers.

Last edited by BryceVR; 09-16-2015 at 05:02 AM.
Old 09-16-2015, 05:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I use Hpi T Drifts. Very basic drift tire but good place to start. Especially if your just messing around. If you are going to compete then might not be the best.
Drifting not for everyone. It's slow. But there is something about it that can hook you. I really only drift now in winter. Something about being able to run a 1/10 scale in a 10x12 room.
Old 09-16-2015, 10:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

LoL @ bryceVR.

It's true. I enjoy playing around with a drift car every now & then. But that's about as far as it can go. The "drifters" I have seen, prefer an s-shaped "track" that is the total Sq footage of my small kitchen. I invited a few "drifters" to try it at the local carpet track with a relatively short 70 ft backstretch, chicanes, 90' turns, and a hairpin. They weren't very good, and they weren't very happy. They also seemed opposed to being organized into 5 or 8 min heats and paying for track time. Run whenever you want, and not have to pay for organized events....sounds a lot like "bashing".

Asking for the best drift tire setup is like asking which body is the most aerodynamic for a Wraith rock crawler. It really doesn't matter. Just go have fun bashing.
Old 09-16-2015, 11:11 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Racers here in RCTech obviously don't know a thing about drifting and love to hate lol.
Old 09-16-2015, 11:16 AM
Tech Regular

Tires DO matter. Depends on speed you want and track. Most indoor small tracks around my area, require harder carpet drift tires (both concrete and carpet tracks), to be slower on purpose, more controllable and to do tandems efficiently and nicely.

If it's a huge track or asphalt track, then something stickier/grippier like T-Drifts will work, when speed is wanted and when there's a lot of room, or when you aren't doing tandems. Heck, you can even drift on racing slicks if you're just bashing and you have a lot of room.
Old 09-16-2015, 11:21 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by (0000000000) View Post
LoL @ bryceVR.
They also seemed opposed to being organized into 5 or 8 min heats and paying for track time. Run whenever you want, and not have to pay for organized events....sounds a lot like "bashing".
You're generalizing a huge group of people worldwide, by your small experiences with your local drifters.

Idk where you live, but around my area, all the drift tracks charge an entrance fee for track time, are organized (if it's an event or competition) and no one opposes that.

There are concrete, polished concrete, carpet and asphalt drift tracks.

Stop being such an arrogant ignoramus.
Old 09-16-2015, 11:33 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by BryceVR View Post
Then get a real car and race where tuning, lines and skill matter.

I've seen 10-20 "drifters" come racing and every time....LAST.

Get yourself a real car and race.
Tuning, lines and skill matter as much (if not more) in drifting than in grip-racing. Tell me, when is the last time grip-racers regularly were knowledgeable, tuned and adjusted things like - weight shifting, kpi, positive and negative trail, trail angles, bumpsteer, customized compression and rebound damper tuning or even more basic things like kick-up/anti-squat, caster, etc. on their grip racecars? Sometimes, but not much.

Well...those 10-20 "drifters" are exactly that - drifters! They should come in last as it's not their type of driving and genre! This is similar to saying something like, "these RC helicopter pilots, or rockcrawler drivers, came to the racetrack today..and they came in dead last, they suck." Get some of your racers on a real drift track... I am sure all they'd be doing is spinning out and hitting walls every 2 seconds and getting frustrated.

Race cars are cool too. But, no need to hate nor be ignorant on something you don't understand at all. Different strokes.
Old 09-16-2015, 11:36 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by BryceVR View Post
What is REALLY cool is to set up a car to be on the edge in a real racing class and then surf the traction to get the best lap possible. Drifting at 100%.
Then use the hardest tyres and high ride height. The car floats and moves, that's real drifting.
On the edge in any class is drifting but at 400% faster. A race car moves and slides and keeping it under control is the trick.

Try Pro-10 if you think you can drive. The fastest and most unforgiving of them all.

I went drifting once with an old tourer chassis and ate the "we're so cool we're drifters" in one session. They were so intent to show me how it was done and when I nailed it and said "SO" They did their best in one session, I walked away and said, "you guys really need to race". This is nowhere.
drifting is for video gamers, racing is for acheivers.
"Cool story Bro"
Old 09-16-2015, 11:54 AM
Tech Regular

And, another note - it is 1,000,000x easier to get a TC racecar running right, than a Rwd driftcar running right.

Eg:
Put ANY TC chassis, out of the box, on a racetrack; and, it will run really good around it, or at least decently.
vs.
Do the same with a Rwd drift chassis, out of the box, on a drift track. Nope...it'll take a bit of tuning and knowledge of the front steering geometry, ackerman, f/r suspension tuning.. at the bare minimum, to get it running decently or even around the track well.

That's the truth. Plain and simple.

Grip racing is cool...but it's different in many ways - just pull the trigger, sometimes let go or brake for corners, follow the best/ideal line, tune your car to be faster and reliable. Drift is judged by car control, proper weight transfering/shifting and lines.
Old 09-16-2015, 12:12 PM
Tech Regular

Racer can hate all they want. All it shows is pure ignorance, closed-mindedness and total lack of knowledge of a different genre of car tuning (tuning which is very in-depth).
Old 09-16-2015, 01:05 PM
Tech Regular

ALL of this information and knowledge is REQUIRED (even for beginning and intermediate drifters) when tuning a drift car, when you need it to drive a particular way (especially for Rwd)... and then some (it's still missing a lot of important stuff - kpi, trail, trail angle, etc.):
http://home.scarlet.be/~be067749/58/tc/print.htm

What about for grip racers? Not really. It's definitely helpful, no doubt. But, honestly, only the very very advanced and professional "racers" will ever even mess with ALL that stuff or even look into it.
Old 09-16-2015, 05:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

There are many different types of motorsports (land, air, sea) that have unique challenges. Sometimes the joy for people who aren't hardcore racers is solving the challenges with their version of the r/c hobby.

R/C racing is a small niche hobby if you step back an look at the real numbers of vehicles out there. There are probably more vehicles sold each week that will never see any track time than the total number of "race" r/c vehicles currently running in the whole country.

------------

As to the original question to drift tires for concrete, below is a link on a drift forum about tire choice. The information is a bit dated, but may be useful.

http://www.drccentral.com/forums/index.php?showforum=86

Here is another drift forum that looks like it has a lot more current posts:

http://forum.driftmission.com/

I hope this information helps.
Old 09-16-2015, 05:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default So you decided that I am an ignoramus...

Jah2000:

You're right. I am an ignoramus. Despite the fact that you don't know me, what I've done in RC, or where I have travelled in RC, you have decided to call me an ignoramus. You also seem to forget about how I was commenting on my own experience, not making general inflammatory claims like a normal ignoramus. Must be some sort of super ignoramus. That's ok though. I'm not the one trying to prove that one hobby is cooler than another. I actually enjoy coin collecting more than RC racing. You don't see me getting defensive like a six year old who just found out that Unicorns are not real.

You're right. Guys who race RC cars don't know how to tune their cars. Playing with roll center, alignment, camber, turning axis, spring/damper rates, chassis torsion, etc etc, are not necessary. Most people just go to the store, buy a car kit that magic puts itself together, and decide to become awesome at driving toy cars and win regional championships overnight. These are the same people who only bought motor dyno's, tire balancers & lathes, precision cut tools, setup stations stations, and tweak balancers, because they want to impress chicks. Cuz apparently the good RC drivers keep their real tools under their table - you know, a flat head screw driver and a set of Allen keys from Walmart. That seems to be your impression of what on-road racing is like, and that's cool. Maybe your experience was different from mine. Maybe you still believe in the Tooth Ferry too. But I won't judge. I don't get defensive and try to tell everyone in an RC racing forum that I'm cooler and mightier than they are.

You're right. The ROAR national champion of RC drifting is a superior operator of toy cars. I am certain that after defeating those evil hordes of RC racers, this ROAR national champion of RC drifting jumps on his unicorn and rides toward the setting sun as it dips below the Pacific Ocean. As he arrives on the shores of the beach, he will pull out a conch and loudly blow into it to call upon Aquaman, who arrives in a giant floating clam shell that is pulled by dolphins. The ROAR national champion of RC drifting, while still mounted on his unicorn, confidently jumps aboard the floating clam shell that is pulled by dolphins and captained by Aquaman and whispers into his ear "do not allow the sun to set upon me". So they all float westwards, never falling upon darkness.
- ok now I am being silly and making things up. Everyone knows that there is no ROAR national champion of RC drifting...

I am sorry that you are unhappy with my own experience of RC drifting and the majority (not all) of drifters I have seen. I cannot change who they are and YOU cannot change who they are. Don't be upset that there are ignorant drifters out there. There are ignorant people everywhere, even at big RC racing events. There are plenty of ignorami in the world - don't become one of them.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service