R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-08-2005, 07:24 PM   #166
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&O
New Yokomo motor is just not as good as the V2 motor. Yokomo's batteries aren't much better either.
what makes you so sure? that is such a sweeping statement.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:40 PM   #167
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

from what i was told the ready guys had issues keeping up last year but somebody from yokomo usa told me they already found the extra hp and can now keep up with the V2. If you look at the vid. Masami was faster than hara, he just had problems in a2 as posted above and a3 was rained out with masami chasing down hara pretty fast from what i was told.
Francis M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 09:11 PM   #168
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&O
Another major factors that we should all consider is also the batteries and motors. New Yokomo motor is just not as good as the V2 motor. The armature vibrates too much in the low wound when comparing with V2 based motor, this is my experience. For the batteries, yokomo is not very well known because most of them are just zapped. There are cells available from GP that are already zapped in our area. (Kyew, sorry that offended you! It didn't come out the way that I wanted to. I was looking at the post that talked about which car is better than others.)
Are you sure? Me and my friend runs Yokomo T6 8T and outrun V2 motors here. .
Yokomo has matched packs called SG series. SG1 is the best. They are very very good batteries indeed. Check with Japanese RC Magazine. They should have adv for that.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:15 PM   #169
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyo Piyo
Are you sure? Me and my friend runs Yokomo T6 8T and outrun V2 motors here. .
Yokomo has matched packs called SG series. SG1 is the best. They are very very good batteries indeed. Check with Japanese RC Magazine. They should have adv for that.
Those are the yokomo batteries that are $160 US Dollars .
Old 11-08-2005, 11:58 PM   #170
Tech Master

Does anyone think that the guys in the A run "off the shelf" batteries here? And motors? Cīmon. They canīt be more selected, and treaten than this.
Anders Myrberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 07:12 AM   #171
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders Myrberg
Does anyone think that the guys in the A run "off the shelf" batteries here? And motors? Cīmon. They canīt be more selected, and treaten than this.
Exactly.
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 08:06 AM   #172
Tech Apprentice

Hi all,

Some additions to the comments:

1) Hara Tq-ed friday evening with both Masami and him having a clean track under perfect conditions and both made no mistakes. Masami was untill the last 3 laps on Hara's pace, but lost it in the last 30 seconds. It would be interesting to if anyone could post those laptimes....

2) First final it was very very clear Masami was the fastest. All except him went of on the wrong tyres, as clearly can be seen (as all slid around except him). Masami surely made the perfect choice there! (just a note, there are no controlled tyres at races in Japan).

3) In the second final the young new talent from HB, Matzusaki, had a relatively easy win. No one could challenge him and neither Masami or Hara could follow his pace. In his anger to catch up Masami made a big mistake at the end of the straight (same corner and position as Hara last year) and really destroyed the car. Unfortunatly end of his race, would have been interesting to see the end. Please post that video!!!

4) The 3rd was funny... Hara took of, dissappeared and was not to be seen anymore. Masami was involved in a start incident. Both Hara and Masami had similar laptimes for the remaining race, Masami though was already too far behind to catch him. Than it started from a drizzle to real rain, and the track became ice due to all oily additive. Only 3 cars could continue in these conditions, which included Hara and Masami as they where driving of the racing line. That the race was cancelled was logic.

JMRCA officials decided to wait 30 more minutes for the final decision to rerun the last final, but the light rain went into a heavy one 5 minutes before the deadline.

So, Hara won the crown which he deserved so much already last year. I have to admit for all Masami and Yokomo fans that this time it was a close as ever, still though the upper hand for Hara. My opinion though, knowing what he had and could do.

We run 11 turns, with quit a lot of timing. Runtime was very depending on car setup. It was not easy to have enough runtime with either of the excisting batteries, esspecially if the car did not have enough corner speed.

Not more news, except I am happy it is over. Its MUCH more complicated and hard than a World Championship, that is sure. The technology involved is incredible, esspecially tyre threatment is of major importance. Rumors go next year it will be 5 minutes again, hurra! Hopefully wih controlled tyres!

Oscar
Oscar Jansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 09:09 AM   #173
Tech Regular

Congradulations Mr. Jansen for your 2005 JMRCA Title, I wish you the best of luck for Team Orion and all top drivers running under you in the many races to come. We have a race this weekend Southwest Grand Prix in Tucson AZ and I was wondering if any factory drivers from Orion would show for either Mod Sedan Carpet or Mod Buggy/Truck/4 wheel drive buggy?
Thank you and Good luck with the rest of the year.
TadehI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 10:38 AM   #174
Tech Master

Oscar is a hard working man, and Iīm still impressed that he have the power to travel so much for his wins. Thatīs fair succes! Congratiolations! Hara is good, but would be a bit easier to handle without your support
Anders Myrberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 06:18 AM   #175
Tech Apprentice

TadehI, thank you for your kinds words. For this moment I do not know if anyone of our Team will come to the race in AZ. I am sorry I can not give you more info.

Anders, I am just doing my job the best as I can and sometimes surprised myself that human are able to push limits so far... and am sorry, for next year I have promised to work even harder. The amount of new developments coming will surprise many... even strange rule changes do not bother me and will surely not end up like Ferrari
Old 11-10-2005, 06:43 AM   #176
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar Jansen

The technology involved is incredible, esspecially tyre threatment is of major importance.

Oscar
Hi Oscar,

Well done on the results Team Orion managed to achieve.

It would be interesting to share with us what kind of tyre treatment was involved and also the type of technology.

Bye for now.

Gustav
Pro Models is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 07:05 AM   #177
Tech Apprentice

Hello Gustav, thank you.

In regards to the tires: I will not go in details, as this is all testing results of all teams and I am not here to share their secrets. But, in general all teams use Tire Tweak, DIP, FX2 and Paragon. Depending on the track situation (dusty, cold, hot) the tyres are threated with either of these 4 products, always in combinations with tyre warmers.

Actually, the tyre temperature before the race is the major issue and super sensitive. A too hot tyre will have no grip for the first couple of laps, a too cold tyre will never reach its grip level, esspcially when the traction is low. Using the warmers even till 30 secs before the start is a must. It just like real F1 and in Japan they are really MILES and MILES in front of EU and USA with tyre technology. It is really stunning if you see how much grip they can create out of Sorex 36 while the track is 15c...

What was really interesting was that all teams did run in their tyres and never used a fresh set.

The best tyre setup in the end (also used by Yokomo) was HPI wheels, Hara black or purple inserts depending on the track grip. (Black on high grip). The Hara purple had most traction, but was more inefficient over the 8 minute run.

As coud be seen on a video that is going around of the first final, choosing the right tyre/addtive/temperature/insert was a major issue. Masami did all right the first final, the other were at his pace or faster in the second and last final.

Batteries was another thing, we found a 2nd run on the GP3700 the best, it gave a much better last minute. This was clear to be seen in Hara's fastest run on friday eve, where his last lap was only .4 slower than his fastest. (he finished with a 17.4 where others finished with 17.8-18.0). Many where really surprised to see how good the 37's worked, but like mentioned in previous posts in other topics here on the board it is just a thing of motor settings and they work (in my opinion) still the best.

We used thick wire 11 turns single on 5mm stack, between 36 and 40 degree (yes a lot...) of timing. Springs super soft to take the punch away. Gear ratio 35/102 on the Cyclone. Also the motor worked best 2nd run.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:41 AM   #178
Tech Regular

Hi Oscar,

Really appreciate your reply, lots of valid info. Wish we could have more ppl like you who feed back this kind of info after a major race.

One secret maybe you could slip by, what traction compound was being used when the conditions where on the dusty side and what temperature range was being used on the tyre warmers

In most pics I hace seen many drivers use tissues inside the tyre warmer cup, could you explain the reason for this?

Bye for now. Thanks for your help once again.
Pro Models is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 08:47 AM   #179
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar Jansen
We used thick wire 11 turns single on 5mm stack, between 36 and 40 degree (yes a lot...) of timing. Springs super soft to take the punch away. Gear ratio 35/102 on the Cyclone. Also the motor worked best 2nd run.
Wow 36 to 40 degrees of motor timing? What do you want to achieve? Thanks
daniz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 08:57 AM   #180
Tech Apprentice

I think he mentioned they were doing this to elimate any low end grunt...keeping it flat.
G-Dizzle is offline   Reply With Quote