Like Tree135Likes

VBC Lightning FX

Old 03-29-2018, 01:49 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rezin View Post
My car, the one that made TQ
Thanks rezin!

My car worked well but I just didn't quite have the speed of the front runners. I'm interested to see what changes I should try.
Old 03-29-2018, 03:11 PM
DBM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks for sharing. Jeeze, i had no idea that Gravity was selling F1 tires. How do they compare to the crc/tcs/shimizu tires?
Old 03-29-2018, 04:56 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The gravity tires are ride gr with a sticker inside. They lack a bit of grip but it makes them predictable. Personally I don't like them but that's what the club I race at voted for for the spec tires. They are an ok tire but I prefer my shimizu 571/572 by far.
Tim Neja, Quinny45, pat5b and 1 others like this.
Old 03-30-2018, 11:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I'll try to get my setup done soon. The track was very bumpy so the setup that I had for a flat track did not work well. I actually went over and felt the tq car (mine was TQ in r3 but I screwed up my Sauce program thinking I had one more race to do the fronts.... 2 min was not enough and I ended up 6th on the grid) after qualifying I sent some time on the car and I believe it was consistently the fastest car on the track even though it wasn't over a single lap.
Old 03-30-2018, 11:24 AM
Tech Adept

Default a weak spot?

We had a Club race on Thursday due to the long weekend.
I was brutally reminded of the importance of spares and immediate supply.
Earlier in this thread it was recommended to keep extra Lower Arm Pivot Ball Mount D-05-VBC-1006 in your pit box.
DO IT.
The warm up run during practice put the nail in the coffin for F1 fun last night.
No spare , no fun.
I got two laps and barely had time to get a feel for the Volante's.

Patience.......

Included a shot of my variation on the battery installation and body post/link arm optional mount locations discussed earlier
Attached Thumbnails VBC Lightning FX-img_1491.jpg   VBC Lightning FX-img_1492.jpg   VBC Lightning FX-img_1493.jpg  
Old 04-09-2018, 12:20 PM
Tech Regular

Not to underplay the skill of the F1 racers in my previous wins but I faced my toughest competition so far in the WCICS series this past weekend. I had to face a very fast F1 driver in his Associated F6 and another driver in his Exotek upgraded F1. I struggled to get my saucing program going this weekend where I would either over sauce or under sauce. I failed to get take the TQ from the Associated F6 driver and he took it with a very quick handling car. In the triple A-mains, it was a different story. I would take A1 after the Associated driver clipped a board in the first lap and wasn't able to recover. In A2, I was distracted talking to another driver and forgot to sauce my tires. With less than 5 minutes of sauce time, I wen't out and had a very pushy car. The Associated driver took the win with a 5 second lead. In A3, I made sure I was focused on the race at hand. I sauced my CRC tires for about 15 minutes, added .5 degree of camber up to 1.5 and also added the winglets on my Montec front wing. During the warm up the car felt very fast and I finally had the steering I needed.

Once the race began, I was right on the back wing of the Associated driver. At one point, I believe my front wing actually nicked his rear wing so I pulled off a little in order to avoid any possible collision. Racing down the straightaway on lap 6, I was a few car lengths behind when the Associated driver had bad luck with the boards and broke a steering link. Unfortunately that took him out of the race and I went on to take the win. I decided to take it easy as to not make any mistakes and ended up with 32 laps. Looking at my lap times after the race, in A3 I was on a 32 lap pace from the start and finished with that. My car was the only F1 to hit 32 laps all weekend. The Associated car was also on a 32 lap pace at some point in the weekend but was only able to get the 31 laps (either due to traffic or other reasons).

Results are here.

Props to Steve Wiens (Associated F6 driver) and Ivan Chan for making me earn the win this weekend. I had a lot of fun racing with you guys and hope to race you again next season.

With the final win in Calgary, I managed to finish in first place in the WCICS series with 4 first place finishes. I'm loving this VBC F1!
Tim Neja, rezin and Holmestead like this.
Old 04-09-2018, 07:03 PM
Tech Addict

I'm really loving my FX 18-- it's taken me a while to understand the setups again---I"m back racing after a 6 year break. But this car has gotten VERY smooth to drive and predictable on our Cal Raceway Asphalt track!! The lap times are down with the quickest cars--now I just need to get the chance to run it against the best competition which I should see this weekend!! We'll see how it goes!!

BTW--the Gravity tires work great for me here at Cal as that is our spec tire too. The car is very balanced with them, and their less expensive than some others. I think the Shimizu may be faster--but I haven't tried them since I got the car handing and up to speed!!

Last edited by Tim Neja; 04-09-2018 at 07:23 PM.
Old 04-14-2018, 05:46 PM
Tech Addict

OKay---was again able to get the car handling pretty well. BUT---it's still a handful to drive coming out of the corner once I get the steering I want!! I qualified 4th because of the inconsistency of the car---but driving VERY cautiously in the main--was able to take 2nd by not driving the car hard enough to keep up with Rocket Rog in his Xray car!! DANG---still chasing the fast guy---attaboy Rog!!
cementsurfer86 likes this.
Old 04-14-2018, 09:52 PM
Tech Master

Tim, your car looked good today! Was fun racing with you!
Tim Neja likes this.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:11 AM
Tech Addict

Thanks Jess--- I think the changers Rog suggested will help the car. But I tried the Roche car too---and it had AMAZING corner speeds. I'll have to do another comparison run and see what's different about that setup to see If I can get the VBC car to do the same!! Good racing with you too--good luck with your new setup too!!
Holmestead likes this.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:10 AM
Tech Regular

Anyone have a decent setup for the FX-18 on asphalt? Track is low to medium grip. I tried running my black carpet setup (no time to get the car ready) and for some reason, it didn't work
Old 05-14-2018, 09:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 78 (100%+)

I finally got to race my VBC last weekend (converted from a long time xray x1 user) I was very happy for the first day run. Just need to find a little more off power steering. May start adding drag brake to get the car to 'settle" before turning.
Soda treated medium grip asphalt:
Everything is Kit unless mentioned
Ride GR ets 2017 spec tire front and rear
Tamiya black front spring (slightly softer than kit)
Front axles inline
SMJ progressive yellow spring (lightly softer than kit initially but progress up to match kit spring)
montech 2017 front wing med down force insert
Tamiya F103 rear wing
fenix gear diff (regular diff lube on gears: loose/free) 92T
ride height Rear 5mm front 4mm
Bitty type r body
15k side tubes and kingpins
camber -2.0
13.2 caster
2 degrees of toe-out per side
used tamiya F104 riser pieces to lift the front inner hinge pin holder ( accidently threw away the kit riser) front links barely angled under level
**My Personal Key points**
I feel the most important setup point with this car outdoors on asphalt is available grip management.
1) Ride tires were great... but not out of the package. I have many cycles of compound, then tire warmers. I keep the warmers on all day while off the track. This is mostly just to 'bake in' the compound so the tire is not wet when my race is up. this breaks down the rubber and you will know when they are broken in because the car will be pretty stuck. I imagine this is the same with any tire. I always compound full rear and half front, 3/4 front and rear, if more steering is needed. I'm currently using Trintiy Tweak white dot but I am planning to try an alcohol based compound that soaks and evaporates faster.
2) Front and rear droop. if the car is difficult on acceleration, maximize the front droop. spacer wise I usually run 2mm above knuckle and 3 below. this roughly 1 or 2mm above ride height of up travel. Rear droop and pod sag is never ending. adjust til you can race the car instead of just aiming the car. I rarely go past 3mm of rear droop, most of the time I'm around 2mm or less. I may be wrong, so test for yourself... the lower the traction the lower the pod sag. Higher traction less pod sag. when you squeeze the trigger, the center actually rises so its kind of like more time to put traction to the rear wheels. <- if that makes sense.
3)Outdoors if you run the ball diff you can always slip the diff to get the traction bias to the rear. I don't prefer that but in some cases, it's all you can do to tame the Beast!
Also, the front brass weight is good on black carpet due to available grip but outdoors on asphalt I felt it made the car push. Good luck.
eevul and Holmestead like this.

Last edited by Markus; 05-14-2018 at 09:49 PM.
Old 05-15-2018, 06:11 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Markus View Post
I finally got to race my VBC last weekend (converted from a long time xray x1 user) I was very happy for the first day run. Just need to find a little more off power steering. May start adding drag brake to get the car to 'settle" before turning.
Soda treated medium grip asphalt:
Everything is Kit unless mentioned
Ride GR ets 2017 spec tire front and rear
Tamiya black front spring (slightly softer than kit)
Front axles inline
SMJ progressive yellow spring (lightly softer than kit initially but progress up to match kit spring)
montech 2017 front wing med down force insert
Tamiya F103 rear wing
fenix gear diff (regular diff lube on gears: loose/free) 92T
ride height Rear 5mm front 4mm
Bitty type r body
15k side tubes and kingpins
camber -2.0
13.2 caster
2 degrees of toe-out per side
used tamiya F104 riser pieces to lift the front inner hinge pin holder ( accidently threw away the kit riser) front links barely angled under level
**My Personal Key points**
I feel the most important setup point with this car outdoors on asphalt is available grip management.
1) Ride tires were great... but not out of the package. I have many cycles of compound, then tire warmers. I keep the warmers on all day while off the track. This is mostly just to 'bake in' the compound so the tire is not wet when my race is up. this breaks down the rubber and you will know when they are broken in because the car will be pretty stuck. I imagine this is the same with any tire. I always compound full rear and half front, 3/4 front and rear, if more steering is needed. I'm currently using Trintiy Tweak white dot but I am planning to try an alcohol based compound that soaks and evaporates faster.
2) Front and rear droop. if the car is difficult on acceleration, maximize the front droop. spacer wise I usually run 2mm above knuckle and 3 below. this roughly 1 or 2mm above ride height of up travel. Rear droop and pod sag is never ending. adjust til you can race the car instead of just aiming the car. I rarely go past 3mm of rear droop, most of the time I'm around 2mm or less. I may be wrong, so test for yourself... the lower the traction the lower the pod sag. Higher traction less pod sag. when you squeeze the trigger, the center actually rises so its kind of like more time to put traction to the rear wheels. <- if that makes sense.
3)Outdoors if you run the ball diff you can always slip the diff to get the traction bias to the rear. I don't prefer that but in some cases, it's all you can do to tame the Beast!
Also, the front brass weight is good on black carpet due to available grip but outdoors on asphalt I felt it made the car push. Good luck.

Awesome! Most of this I have used already but there are some other great setup tips. I think my main issue is my tire program. For example, I don't have a tire warmer and the rest of the F1 drivers had one so they had way more traction than I did. I also bought new tires (Gravity F1 tires) for the next race and hoping to get a tire warmer as well. Thanks again for your setup tips.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 78 (100%+)

Absolutely. traction on carpet is easy... asphalt most of the time is a constant search of grip. The chemicals and heat do a number on tires. when they start to feel like big marshmallows (mostly the rear) the car gets more dialed. IMO the ride/gravity/yokomo pre-mount type of tires need to get like this in order to work on asphalt
From my experience the pit/tcs/crc packages don't respond as well to the compound and heat combo. they tend to get weak provide less grip with this regiment. my guess would be the inserts and sidewalls. These setups use a lot of air gap and once the air and tire have overheated, the traction disappears. on hot days with 120 degree track temps, this happens after a handful of laps.
Tim Neja likes this.
Old 05-26-2018, 05:42 PM
mo
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Will the new rear pivot from the FX18 bolt on to the FXM?

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service