VBC Lightning FX >

VBC Lightning FX

Like Tree142Likes

VBC Lightning FX

Old 03-21-2018, 06:51 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tim Neja View Post
I just put the brass front bulkhead in the car to see if the additional weight would help. I'll have to look, but I think I'm already in the short wheelbase! Interesting that my car is 1/4 inch shorter than the Tamiya i'm chasing!! Good suggestions!
I found the brass weight up front makes a big difference when it comes to steering. I actually have both the brass bulkhead and another brass weight underneath the bell crank. I'm saucing the front tires 3 quarters to full for about 10 minutes. This is for black carpet. Full sauce on the rear for about 12-15 minutes.
pat5b likes this.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:34 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by eevul View Post
you mean like this?

Yea that was my car
Oh yeah--that should be the upgrade from the manufacturer!! It works much better than the stock setup. Great upgrade!!

Now if you just clean up that wiring!!
Old 03-21-2018, 02:16 PM
Tech Initiate

I found the brass weight up front makes a big difference when it comes to steering. I actually have both the brass bulkhead and another brass weight underneath the bell crank. I'm saucing the front tires 3 quarters to full for about 10 minutes. This is for black carpet. Full sauce on the rear for about 12-15 minutes.
I'm using the brass bulkhead too. But instead of putting more weight upfront I used a brass plate under the battery. It actually improved rotation. When you put weight on the front it calms down the front end because it slows down the reaction. Try it, remove the battery stopper form the rear and move the battery rearward and put some weight under. You'll be surprised I garantee
Tim Neja likes this.
Old 03-22-2018, 07:18 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by rezin View Post
I'm using the brass bulkhead too. But instead of putting more weight upfront I used a brass plate under the battery. It actually improved rotation. When you put weight on the front it calms down the front end because it slows down the reaction. Try it, remove the battery stopper form the rear and move the battery rearward and put some weight under. You'll be surprised I garantee
Which brass plate are you using? Do you have a link?
Old 03-22-2018, 07:53 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Which brass plate are you using? Do you have a link?
He is using the AE 36g brass plate under a protek LCG lipo!

https://www.amainhobbies.com/reedy-l...c27304/p492501

https://www.amainhobbies.com/protek-...100-17/p539104
eevul and rezin like this.
Old 03-25-2018, 10:39 AM
Tech Addict

OKAY--- the brass front bulkhead with softer front springs and stiffer rear springs including the side roll springs got this baby rotating through the corner MUCH better!! I didn't have time to try putting weight at the battery area or moving the battery back yet. But once I got the car handling well, I changed gearing too and it came alive!! Took a full 1/2 second off my lap times and was within 4 seconds of TQ!! Car is really stable and easy to drive. I think now I've got a platform that I can live with and win with! Thanks' for the suggestions here--looking forward to truly being competitive now!! I didn't get to run the main as I had to leave for a dinner appointment--but watch out for next week!!
simple, rezin, pat5b and 1 others like this.
Old 03-25-2018, 09:02 PM
DBM
Tech Fanatic

Hi Tim,
What springs did you end up using?
Old 03-26-2018, 06:04 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by pat5b View Post
Thanks! I'll give the weights a try.
Old 03-26-2018, 06:08 AM
Tech Addict

Another TQ and win at the annual Emerald City Classic this weekend. This is a great facility with fierce competition. The carpet was on the old CRC gray carpet and I didn't have to change much on the car at all. In fact, the only thing I changed was my saucing program (saucing for about 10-12 minutes full rears and 3 quarters front). The car had plenty of steering and it was plenty fast around the corners.

Loving this car so far!
Tim Neja likes this.
Old 03-26-2018, 06:18 PM
Tech Addict

I'm not sure what springs they are. They are lighter than the .018 associated springs I had in. Their black and soft--I think close to .016 size. Just feeling them they were a lot softer than the stock spring. The stiffer rear spring and taking nearly all the droop out of the rear along with stiffer side springs helped the car turn in. And it's very stable under throttle coming out of the corner. I can't just bang the throttle--I squeeze it on--but the car steers very well and doesn't get loose at all. I have %80 drag brake setting on the Tekin Pro speed control--and then I adjust the push brake to give more braking without breaking the tires loose in a straight line. If I add a little steering input--the car will get a hair loose and rotate into the corner really well while maintaining it's corner speed. I picked up over a second a lap with this setup. My front is nearly 0 caster-- 2 degrees of negative camber and 2 degrees of towout. FYI
Holmestead likes this.
Old 03-27-2018, 02:38 PM
Tech Initiate

I wasn't able to attend the Canadian Onroad Nationals at Welland this weekend but a friend of mine drove my car and TQ'd. Finished second overall and Alex Pate finished 4th overall. That FX18 is a great car!
eevul, Tim Neja and DBM like this.
Old 03-27-2018, 05:50 PM
DBM
Tech Fanatic

I wasn't able to attend the Canadian Onroad Nationals at Welland this weekend but a friend of mine drove my car and TQ'd. Finished second overall and Alex Pate finished 4th overall. That FX18 is a great car!
I was watching the live stream of the last round of qualifying at the Canadian Nationals and heard the RD mention that the tq car was a VBC. I was mostly watching Alex run since i race with him a few times a year out here in the West, and his car looked fantastic too.

I typically don't run F1 since I'm usually kept busy with running other classes, but now that WGT is dead here, i may buy a FX18 to run once in a while at bigger events when there is more time between heats. Black carpet has really made 21.5t F1 more pleasurable to drive comparted to the grey carpet.
Old 03-28-2018, 02:00 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by DBM View Post
I was watching the live stream of the last round of qualifying at the Canadian Nationals and heard the RD mention that the tq car was a VBC. I was mostly watching Alex run since i race with him a few times a year out here in the West, and his car looked fantastic too.

I typically don't run F1 since I'm usually kept busy with running other classes, but now that WGT is dead here, i may buy a FX18 to run once in a while at bigger events when there is more time between heats. Black carpet has really made 21.5t F1 more pleasurable to drive comparted to the grey carpet.
at this year's national F1 was with a 25.5 motor
Old 03-28-2018, 07:00 PM
Tech Initiate

The FX18 had a good showing at Canadian Nationals. 2 in the 'A' main and also won the 'B' so 3 inside the top 11.

I'd be very interested to see setup sheets for the TQ car or Alex Pate's car if they don't mind sharing...
DavidNERODease likes this.
Old 03-29-2018, 01:40 PM
Tech Initiate

My car, the one that made TQ

eevul, Tim Neja and Holmestead like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.