Search
Like Tree142Likes

VBC Lightning FX

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 06:32 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by EDWARD2003
Those chassis decals are so cool.

Have you had the chance to test the car out on the track?
Still waiting on the body to come back from the painter. Installing wood floors at the house, taking up my time...lol
Old 04-13-2016, 09:31 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EDWARD2003
Please post a picture of your car
Linked from my facebook, let me know if it doesn't work.

Old 04-17-2016, 03:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 103 (98%+)

What is the part number for the AE side links?
Old 04-17-2016, 05:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Anyone try the short wheelbase? Im going to try to get more steering next week with the wheelbase adjustment. I had a little bit of a push the first day out. I tried stiff side pod springs , softer front springs then I took out some caster. I ended up with the TQ in a full feild of 10 but I want more steering.
Paul
Old 04-17-2016, 05:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Slotmachine
Anyone try the short wheelbase? Im going to try to get more steering next week with the wheelbase adjustment. I had a little bit of a push the first day out. I tried stiff side pod springs , softer front springs then I took out some caster. I ended up with the TQ in a full feild of 10 but I want more steering.
Paul
I tried it once but I felt like I lost corner speed.
If you want more steering your best bet is to run a low profile lipo, first I tried the protek 2800 which was a good battery but you start to notice a drop off in power towards the end of the main. Now motiv 3900 is the battery of choice for me (at least for carpet) so with the battery weighing roughly 50 grams less than a conventional shorty I have placed that 50 grams under the front suspension arms as well as under the bellcrank.
This provides a lot of steering also resisting traction roll a bit more.
And for a shameless plug you can get the battery at https://gripworksrc.com/collections/formula-1
Old 04-17-2016, 05:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Paul
It depends where it's pushing. Since you've almost got your setup there I would look at trying a stiffer center spring.
Old 04-17-2016, 06:24 PM
Tech Champion

Running asphalt pushes on corner entry.
Old 04-17-2016, 06:46 PM
Tech Master

Running asphalt pushes on corner entry.
Try the serpent front wing, it has a lot of downforce
Old 04-17-2016, 06:49 PM
Tech Champion

Do you have a part #?
Old 04-17-2016, 07:24 PM
Tech Master

Do you have a part #?
https://gripworksrc.com/products/ser...-f1-wing-black
Old 04-17-2016, 11:17 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I would go with the Montech front wing instead. Even tho serpent claims their V2 of their front wing is stronger. Im still seeing lots of reports saying the front wing breaks very easily.

The Montech front wing, IMO, is much stronger than any wing Ive used and it doesnt droop or bend that easily. The downforce is adjustable as well
Old 04-20-2016, 02:13 PM
Tech Rookie

Hi to all. Im writting from Spain and the VBC is my new F1 car after: F109, FGX, F104, F103, VBC Flash 04 and Yokomo YRF. The Yokomo is by far the best car I had for the moment. I changed to VBC and I canīt wait to try all the new options the FX haves compared to my old Yoko!

After the presentation, I wouldnīt recommend the Montech and also de Serpent wings if you normally crash. Rear are ok but front wing of these two brands break really easily

Iīm using the old Yokomo wings on my YRF and I will also use them on my VBC wich I will star to build this weekend.

I always tell to slowers riders and to beginners that they shouldnīt get crazy trying different types of front wings to win more steering, if they canīt get much steering as needed with the basics setup option on a formula car.
Old 04-20-2016, 06:04 PM
Tech Elite

I managed to squeak in some track time with the VBC FX. I must say I am really impressed with how the car handled on its first outing.

At my local asphalt track we now race on (Zen OMEGA) foam tires which require no traction additive. This is to keep any saucing wars from happening and makes it more of a driver and setup class. I haven't raced at this track in a long, long time. Almost 1.5 years, because volcanos, bad weather, and a busy life has hampered the chances to race on the weekends. I had a lot of catching up to do since most of the guys have been running this foam tire for about a year now. My target for the day was to get close to the best lap track record set by a Kyosho Factory driver. Which is a 12.176 best lap. However, I am not soley gunning for the best lap but also for consistency.

First run was just a simple shakdown and to get a feel of how the car handles under the new tires and track conditions. The track was untreated asphalt and little dusty (volcanic ash). The back end was breaking loose and had serious on-power oversteer coming onto the straight. Basically it was loose everywhere. I wasn't surprised by this . Not very fast or consistent Best lap 12.878

I decided to make small changes (as you should) with my setup. First off was the side springs. Changed out the kit springs and used CRC 0.45's and 20K Kyosho damper lube. This helped smoothed out the transitioning speed and cured the on-power oversteer slightly.
Best lap 12.678

Next I went ahead and reduced the front camber from -1.5 to -1.0. No real significant change, but reduced coning. Best lap 12.657.

Then I decided to switch out the front kit springs for harder with Associated 0.50's (.022) with 0.5 mm droop. This settled down the front end and made the car easier to manage going in and out of the corners. Best lap 12.563. Slowly getting there.

Since it was simple adjustment to make I changed the ackerman position from the kit setting to a full foward position. This adjustment alone made the car smoother and allowed the car to hug the corners with ease and consistency. Best lap 12.356.

Changed the caster settings from kit setting and increased the caster angle. Best lap 12.289.

Then the biggest change of them all. The center spring. I switched out the kit yellow center spring for a X-Gear linear springs. I tried 3 types, Silver, Pink, and Red. After trying Pink and Red for a few runs I found the car was a little loose and didn't improve the lap times. Then I tried the Silver spring. Boom!

The car now had a lot of corner speed, was predicable in the corners, and consistent lap after lap, and best of all, the FAST lap. Best lap 12.075.

I'll be doing a lot more tuning for the next time I'm at the track and hopefully bring that best lap time below 12.0 mark.

Last edited by EDWARD2003; 04-20-2016 at 06:29 PM.
Old 04-20-2016, 11:39 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thanks for the report Edward. I might need to mess with springs as well.

Will you be sticking with foam tires or switch to rubber later?
Old 04-21-2016, 12:04 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by disaster999
Thanks for the report Edward. I might need to mess with springs as well.

Will you be sticking with foam tires or switch to rubber later?
I would love to try out rubber tires sometime in the near future. Our club and most of Japan sticks with foam. Though I do see some clubs running rubber tires, but people like the sercurity of foam traction.

What about you? Foam or rubber?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.