SkyRC ARES PRO 13.5 motor >

SkyRC ARES PRO 13.5 motor

SkyRC ARES PRO 13.5 motor

Old 09-04-2015, 08:45 AM
Tech Champion

Default SkyRC ARES PRO 13.5 motor

Has anyone tried these?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SkyRC-Compet...rds=13.5+motor

How do they fair against the bigger brands?

(I don't have to use a BRCA approved motor).

Thanks
Old 09-04-2015, 10:26 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I run these motors exclusively and really like them. I run mostly off road but will be trying one of their 21.5 motors in on road this weekend. I can say I have never been out horse powered, being out driven is completely different for me.
Old 09-04-2015, 10:49 AM
Tech Master

I ran one for awhile had to be geared up big time compared to my Trinity's. It Doesn't spin a lot of RPM but the torque is Huge and it runs cool at tall gearing. I ran it at 3.34:1 in my TC and it came off at 165F.
Old 09-05-2015, 03:20 AM
Tech Champion

Thanks for the info I've been considering this or the Tekin gen 2 13.5 and don't know which to get lol!
Old 09-05-2015, 05:17 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

They have a mod rotor in them hence why they have lots of low down power but not a lot of RPM.
Old 09-07-2015, 03:57 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by DamianW View Post
They have a mod rotor in them hence why they have lots of low down power but not a lot of RPM.
I don't have a lot of experience of brushless motors, in fact the one I'm replacing is the only one I've ever purchased

Our track is 10m x 15m would you say a torque or RPM based motor would be better for such size track?

I did consider getting the Tekin Gen2 as they offer both RPM and Torque options.

Before the rotor got bend, I used the GEN 1 Type S. It only had 24 degrees timing and although it felt quite fast it didn't feel like it quite had the same amount of power as the others I race against.

Thanks
Old 09-07-2015, 05:10 AM
Tech Regular

High grip small tight tracks you want the strongest rotor available for blinky classes. Boosted works better with a weaker ie broad power band type rotor.

The rotor in this motor would probably suit your track well if running blinky but it might not be legal.

Incase this helps.

The rotor in this motor is a 12.5mm outer diameter and 5mm internal diameter.

Depending on your regs this is not normally legal in spec classes, ROAR ect require the internal diameter to be 7.25mm
Old 09-07-2015, 05:28 AM
Tech Champion

High grip small tight tracks you want the strongest rotor available for blinky classes. Boosted works better with a weaker ie broad power band type rotor.

The rotor in this motor would probably suit your track well if running blinky but it might not be legal.

Incase this helps.

The rotor in this motor is a 12.5mm outer diameter and 5mm internal diameter.

Depending on your regs this is not normally legal in spec classes, ROAR ect require the internal diameter to be 7.25mm
Hi Damian,

Thanks for the info

We can run any 13.5 motor in blinky, or any 17.5 motor in turbo mode.... We do not use and BRCA or ROAR ruling.

So it sounds like the Ares Pro is the one to get as it's half the cost of a Tekin

The Ares pro uses a cooling fan in the rotor too so combined with a fan on the top of the motor I should be able to get some very nice power throughout its powerband

I know I won't be able to race it elsewhere but I only usually race at one club anyway... happy days
Old 09-07-2015, 06:01 AM
Tech Regular

For the price it would be hard to beat but if you can run any 13.5T why not run an outlaw motor?
Old 09-07-2015, 07:01 AM
Tech Champion

For the price it would be hard to beat but if you can run any 13.5T why not run an outlaw motor?
What options would I have that are the same kind of price?
Old 09-07-2015, 07:31 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by tc3team View Post
What options would I have that are the same kind of price?
Trackstar motors. Looks like they have split into a high rpm and high torque line now
Old 09-07-2015, 08:04 AM
Tech Champion

I've heard of the Trakstar motors and they hold up pretty well at the club I race at, although I must say the Sky RC sounds tempting to see if they're better, as I would like a little more motor down the straights to outdrag them

The SkyRC is a little more expensive too so I'm hoping it will make it durable
Old 09-07-2015, 08:10 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by tc3team View Post
I've heard of the Trakstar motors and they hold up pretty well at the club I race at, although I must say the Sky RC sounds tempting to see if they're better, as I would like a little more motor down the straights to outdrag them

The SkyRC is a little more expensive too so I'm hoping it will make it durable
The one thing I don't like about the ares motors is the internal fan. That just robs you of power right off the bat. Although it does say only the lower wind motors have the internal fan. If 17.5 doesn't have a fan I'm game
Old 09-07-2015, 08:13 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by 2uzferunner03 View Post
The one thing I don't like about the ares motors is the internal fan. That just robs you of power right off the bat. Although it does say only the lower wind motors have the internal fan. If 17.5 doesn't have a fan I'm game
Is the fan there because the motor produces more power than the trackstar, or is it there because of design only? I guess that's the question.

Or do the slower ARES motors not have a fan in them, such as the 13.5?

I have no experience of either motor.

I do agree the torque based motors will be the ticket as you say though Damian, would needs a leaner bottom end with no chance to use top speed on a small track?

Last edited by tc3team; 09-08-2015 at 04:03 AM.
Old 09-08-2015, 04:08 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 2uzferunner03 View Post
My ARES 17.5 does not have a fan. Their website says the 3.5 - 5.0 only have fans.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.