World GT-R Rules and Discussion >

World GT-R Rules and Discussion

Like Tree810Likes

World GT-R Rules and Discussion

Old 12-07-2022, 11:33 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by old_dude
Zoo Racing Zoodiac or Montec Akura are my top performance pieces.
thanks
Old 12-13-2022, 05:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

this for all running the CRC, which upper arm mount are you using?
Old 12-13-2022, 05:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by anythinggas
this for all running the CRC, which upper arm mount are you using?
I am a tuning junkie, The front end is very important on the CRC and it is the most tunable of any car. With that said I use any of the angles and any of the roll center shims depending on conditions. I currently have the long upper arm on the car which lowers the roll center too. That went on for high bite conditions at a big race. Low bite, no shims and 10 degree, caster to suit. Many options and at least you can change most of them without taking the lower arm off.
Another huge front end setting is Akerman. This is the relative angles of the front tires when cornering. You adjust this with shims under the balls on the servo saver or by moving the servo forward or back.
So if you are new to running this car, start with the 5 degree, 1 shim back for caster, no roll center shims and 1-1/2 degree camber. .45 springs and 1 to 2 mm of front droop. Shim the servo for a slight center of the steering link rake forward as a Akerman setting. This is a starting point. These cars are highly tunable as I said and what you like may not be great for someone else at all. Which means what they like you may not on the flip side. Play with it. going to a 10 block makes the car more aggressive and a zero the opposite. Lowering the roll center (shims under the upper arm mount) further reduces steering. Those are things to keep in mind if you start traction rolling. This car usually if doing that does so off of the front and that is where you fix that problem.

Last edited by old_dude; 12-13-2022 at 06:13 AM.
Old 12-15-2022, 08:37 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hey old dude, being a tuning junkie, what are your thoughts on reducing traction roll on WGTR cars. My cars are really good on medium to low bite tracks but get tippy at places like The Gate. As you said, the front end settings are very important to WGTR cars. I tend to run max caster and really low Ackerman, and a spool - so wondering if these settings being so far to the aggressive side of things also cause my tippy syndrome? What else should I test?
Old 12-16-2022, 05:57 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by MC Hamilton
Hey old dude, being a tuning junkie, what are your thoughts on reducing traction roll on WGTR cars. My cars are really good on medium to low bite tracks but get tippy at places like The Gate. As you said, the front end settings are very important to WGTR cars. I tend to run max caster and really low Ackerman, and a spool - so wondering if these settings being so far to the aggressive side of things also cause my tippy syndrome? What else should I test?
Well since that is where I race (or did as you may know) I do run a small bead of glue on the WGTR tires. Only 1mm wide right in the groove at the edge of the tire. My high traction setup was zero reactive, 1 shim of caster (back) and the long arms to reduce camber gain. To do that you need the 1/12 scale bridge for long arms and cut it in two. All of that takes away front grip. Those things cause a lower roll center, less camber gain and the reduced caster reduces corner weight transfer.
I can tell you that the RIP Gate on a normal day was medium traction at best. When the new place is ready it will have new CRC carpet and that is a entirely different ball game. The Gate was one of the first to have the black carpet and it was gen 1 version. It was also close to 8 years old.
Old 12-16-2022, 10:36 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Ron,
Have you thought about trying the Xenon "new old school" front end on a WGTR. I think it could eliminate some of the traction gain issues on the front end, but im not a set up guru so was hoping someone would try it first It looks like it would bolt right on. Thoughts?
Old 12-17-2022, 05:55 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by dyoung
Ron,
Have you thought about trying the Xenon "new old school" front end on a WGTR. I think it could eliminate some of the traction gain issues on the front end, but im not a set up guru so was hoping someone would try it first It looks like it would bolt right on. Thoughts?
It does. I have had a Associated front end on mine but stay with the CRC since I didn't see an improvement and it was a hassle to change caster in comparison. Difference in performance is the length of the upper arm. To me that arm isn't as stable either. Just 2 cents. Once you understand the roll center stuff and test to see how it works, you should be happy with either.
NORCAR is hard at work on their new place which will have new carpet. A little further south but easy to get to. We are hoping for great things there.
mrreet2001 and LonnyJ1950 like this.
Old 12-22-2022, 09:46 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

When the new place is ready it will have new CRC carpet and that is a entirely different ball game. The Gate was one of the first to have the black carpet and it was gen 1 version. It was also close to 8 years old.
Bay City bought new carpet last season and the new stuff is quite different. For 1/12th scale we raised ride heights to 4-4.2mm. It seems like the pile is taller and the grip is less. The cars move around a bit and feel less stuck. Zero traction roll issue. But not as good or consistent as the old gray carpet.
Old 12-23-2022, 04:51 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by MC Hamilton
Bay City bought new carpet last season and the new stuff is quite different. For 1/12th scale we raised ride heights to 4-4.2mm. It seems like the pile is taller and the grip is less. The cars move around a bit and feel less stuck. Zero traction roll issue. But not as good or consistent as the old gray carpet.
We haven't had gray since 2012.
Old 12-23-2022, 01:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

old dude - did you get one of the new cars from CRC?
Old 12-24-2022, 06:22 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by davidl
old dude - did you get one of the new cars from CRC?
Not yet. My current car already has the AR conversion (has for a year). I will get it and buy the side rails which are a option. It should be better with the stiffer chassis for rubber tire. I have been laying low due to back surgery and the track currently moving. The Gate ran its final race before Thanksgiving. We tore it down and are in the process of re-building at a newer and bigger facility. When that is ready you should make a trip. I am sure we will host a reopening event.
davidl likes this.
Old 12-24-2022, 03:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Not yet. My current car already has the AR conversion (has for a year). I will get it and buy the side rails which are a option. It should be better with the stiffer chassis for rubber tire. I have been laying low due to back surgery and the track currently moving. The Gate ran its final race before Thanksgiving. We tore it down and are in the process of re-building at a newer and bigger facility. When that is ready you should make a trip. I am sure we will host a reopening event.
When you say the new car should be better for rubber tire with the stiffer chassis, are you considering the traction level at a big race where it is higher than club racing? I also assume that the side rail stiffeners are included in this.
Old 12-25-2022, 06:17 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by davidl
When you say the new car should be better for rubber tire with the stiffer chassis, are you considering the traction level at a big race where it is higher than club racing? I also assume that the side rail stiffeners are included in this.
It has a stiffer base chassis to start with. Adding the side rails (not in the kit) as a tuning option will make it more so. High bite could use this to a point.
Old 12-25-2022, 06:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

this is for all the Roche WGTR drivers, is the a locaion i can find some good starting setups,
Old 12-25-2022, 09:38 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by anythinggas
this is for all the Roche WGTR drivers, is the a locaion i can find some good starting setups,
The kit setup is very good for black carpet. Also the kit instructions break down what each change does for driving characteristic. The only part change I've made is removing the side rails for more corner speed and adding the -4mm front plate from side piece racing. It's the most dialed, easy to drive & easy to tune.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.