Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
World GT-R Rules and Discussion >

World GT-R Rules and Discussion

Like Tree849Likes

World GT-R Rules and Discussion

Old 03-06-2021, 09:04 PM
Tech Regular

No itís not against the rules. But itís not a roar class I donít believe. So rules...

They make wgt bodies for f1 chassis like the jconcepts Layla. Drop on body. Needs mount kit for front bumper/posts.

We have a racer who uses an f1 chassis to great affect.
sugs likes this.
Old 03-07-2021, 07:15 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

1S battery (so it's in line with 12th scale)
17.5 motor (i know earlier I put it on 21.5 but again this is mostly creating dialogue so change and adaptation is necessary)
200mm max
GT bodies only
2wd direct drive transmission only
CRC GTR rubber tires
Gotta do some refreshers on suspension for these cars but that I think would about cover it in the meantime if someone wanted to unify the formula for WGTR since it isnt a ROAR class
Old 03-07-2021, 07:35 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trackdesigner71
1S battery (so it's in line with 12th scale)
17.5 motor (i know earlier I put it on 21.5 but again this is mostly creating dialogue so change and adaptation is necessary)
200mm max
GT bodies only
2wd direct drive transmission only
CRC GTR rubber tires
Gotta do some refreshers on suspension for these cars but that I think would about cover it in the meantime if someone wanted to unify the formula for WGTR since it isnt a ROAR class
Just out of curiosity, do you have a WGTR and have you raced the class? I think the current rule set is pretty good. I donít hear a lot of racers pushing for big changes. The current rule set is understandable and other than motors (17.5 vs Can Am 17.5), are followed by most if not all tracks.

If it were my class, the only change I would make is to the body list. A touring car body like the Zoo doesnít belong. I think the class was better when more realistic bodies like the Corvette, Mustang and Ford GT were the bodies of choice. The other 90 bodies on the list are pretty irrelevant.
davidl likes this.
Old 03-07-2021, 07:59 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by JeffofSpace
No itís not against the rules. But itís not a roar class I donít believe. So rules...

They make wgt bodies for f1 chassis like the jconcepts Layla. Drop on body. Needs mount kit for front bumper/posts.

We have a racer who uses an f1 chassis to great affect.
Thanks Jeff, do you know what chassis and body they are running?
Old 03-07-2021, 09:11 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by MC Hamilton
Just out of curiosity, do you have a WGTR and have you raced the class? I think the current rule set is pretty good. I donít hear a lot of racers pushing for big changes. The current rule set is understandable and other than motors (17.5 vs Can Am 17.5), are followed by most if not all tracks.

If it were my class, the only change I would make is to the body list. A touring car body like the Zoo doesnít belong. I think the class was better when more realistic bodies like the Corvette, Mustang and Ford GT were the bodies of choice. The other 90 bodies on the list are pretty irrelevant.
I do but unfortunately it's in storage and hasnt seen the light of day for a while because I was addressing some personal non-RC concerns and even then there hasn't been enough to field a class now that I have a home track. I've focused on offroad in my first year back in the hobby but I've always been a huge GT/LMP fan going back to the Camel GT days in the 1990s.
I concur on the tealistrealistic body point. Would rather see Corvettes, Mustangs, Camaros, GT BMWs, Aston Martins, etc
Anyway, my point has always been that simplifying the format between WGT-R, 12th scale and touring car as a part of the solution will reduce confusion and allow for a fair transition to those classes from something like say VTA or even from USGT to 21.5 touring.
Old 03-07-2021, 05:21 PM
Tech Champion

All I see you attempting to create more confusion. WGT-R, F1 and GT12 Have a set of rules that we all use. Just because ROAR does not recognized the class- to bad. They have always been several step behind for many years. I know- heck they don't recognize oval period anymore! VTA was not a class for years!
ShtLuck likes this.
Old 03-07-2021, 08:48 PM
Tech Champion

My only comment in response to you Bullfrog is that attitudes like you've shown at times are the sort of thing that won't help future growth of the RC hobby in general much less onroad in particular.

I saw this comment in another thread and thought I'd repost it here because I think this is a sentiment that is shared quite a bit and definitely should be part of the discussion for how to help onroad going forward:
i ran an HPI RS4 2 twenty years ago. what made the car appealing was the huge array of bodies, wheels, tires, hop ups, and the chassis was very affordable and not overly complicated. parking lot racing got huge because of that car. today the only on road cars i find appealing are by Kyosho and Tamiya because they have very scale realistic bodies that are relatable and the chassis' are simple. where as something like a Yokomo, Mugen or X-Ray with a jellybean body projects an image of being non approachable. to even go watch these cars race in person is overwhelming. not to mention the cost of those cars is outrageous. furthermore they are designed for designated and prepped surfaces. they don't seem like anything you can just run in any old parking lot without destroying them.
i guess the key 3 points im trying to get across here are
1. make the cars relatable and customizable. racing a miniature version of something you can actually acquire in full scale has more appeal than we give credit.
2. make the cars simple and more versatile so they're easier to understand and learn on while adding the ability to run them on more surfaces.
3. make it affordable.
until those 3 things are reeled in on road is just going to get further and further out in the ether. and that means less people doing it and fewer manufactures wanting to invest in it.
think about it this way. the booming genre right now are the no prep drag cars. cars that look scale, and because they're based off 2wd short course chassis' are easy to work on/understand/tune and can be driven on just about any surface that's flat and paved.
I believe that unifying the formulae for the "major" classes will help. Someone asks, "what can I run?" You can say, "you can run this, that or the other for this class, this, that or the other for this class and this that or the other for this class."
If you have someone starting out, they may not have a few hundred dollars to shell out for getting into some classes like TC, 12th scale, F1 or WGT-R, that's why I've been working with someone on a fairly low cost platform that can be translated to indoor and outdoor tracks of every surface and allow the new guys a way in and can then transfer those skills to the other classes as they get better. Bringing back more realistic and familiar bodies will help. All due respect, the GBS and the growing licensing costs took away one of the great appeals of onroad racing and that was the realism of the bodies. One thing that won't help? Creating another sanctioning body to further fracture and splinter the segment.
Old 03-07-2021, 08:59 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by sugs
Thanks Jeff, do you know what chassis and body they are running?
Oh we do mostly all run those bodies. Itís made for the xray x1 but fits Tamiyas or whatever else.
We also allow the traditional wgtr bodies. I donít think body choices should be limited.

We run LeMans on top of crc and Xray wgtr cars (and the aforementioned Tamiya f1). We run 2s 21.5. We tried 1s 17.5 and we found it was snail pace.

We race on a quite small black carpet track.
sugs likes this.
Old 03-08-2021, 03:23 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Burrowed
Anyone know where i could find wgtr setup sheet for roche p10 evo? petitrc only has for foam.
i sended my setup of the Snowbird 2019 to Petit-rc but he never post my setup :-(

but if you want this is my setup that I use at my RC club on ETS Carpet
Old 03-08-2021, 07:15 AM
Tech Champion

TD this is what the third topic you've come on posting your keyboard mombo jumbo. You want to change things- go right ahead and start your own organization and stop trying to fix what is not broke. As for me you have no clue of what I have done for R/C racing for Florida and ROAR period. Thru the years ROAR has always dragged there feet on updating classes. and I can go back to the 1980's on that one(1/10th pan cars). Why don't you spend some time in a hobbyshop down here and see what the customer wants to buy- I have. the same for at the races when someone comes by and ask questions. I do and I answer them truthfully.
Example: Someone comes into the shop and get a 300.00 RTR or 800.00 RTR. They believe the box that says it goes 50mph or 100mph. 90% of the hobbyshops do not sell safety- LIPO Battery Fires! A simple lipo bag. I've experienced every type of Lipo fire out there 3-4. Either charging or discharging. Many fools charge there batteries in the car- wrong see that one before! And see others.
Organized racing is promoted by those that enjoy it. My state series (FSEARA) has been racing for 41 years.( and the last of the orginators of the series still racing) I guess we have been doing something correct. Not everyone has the top line equipment and even those that do don't always win. Teaching new drives and help others is always the key to success. You TD have plently of time as your on here as much as me. The problem is I actually race and promote and help all the time (here in Florida). We have a new place that is expanding their facility from dirt oval and off road to r.c drag racing and ON-ROAD! Some of my other things I've done is run 3 clubs built numerous temp tracks, 2 permanrent tracks and worked with my city on building another two years ago before C19 came. Just talked with someone else two weeks ago about other r/c track 10 minutes from my house. Waiting to meet with him and see what he wants to do!
I'll do my thing that works !
Old 03-08-2021, 07:38 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by JeffofSpace
Oh we do mostly all run those bodies. Itís made for the xray x1 but fits Tamiyas or whatever else.
We also allow the traditional wgtr bodies. I donít think body choices should be limited.

We run LeMans on top of crc and Xray wgtr cars (and the aforementioned Tamiya f1). We run 2s 21.5. We tried 1s 17.5 and we found it was snail pace.

We race on a quite small black carpet track.
Cool. So you guys are outside the rules with 2s power anyway which is fine with me. Where is the track? I'm actually planning to move to Washington in the next few months. I'd love to run a class with LeMans/Group C style body on an F1 chassis.
Old 03-08-2021, 12:02 PM
Tech Champion

All due respect Bullfrog, I don't question your experience or credentials in RC in comparison to mine or the success of the FSEARA State Series. While i don't have the race credentials or organizing and promoting chops you have, a) I don't put down someone who shares in the mindset that I have of helping onroad in the US maybe not get to the level it was when you had guys like Paul Lemieux, Josh Cyrul, Barry Baker and so many others representing the US on the world stage (and being pretty competitive too), but at least getting to a point where it can be not only self sustaining but growing across the board and not seeing big turnouts in some pockets of the country and barely making it in others. The ROAR Nats are at my home track Coastal RC this week. Pandemic aside, even with necessary precautions in place, they are still expecting almost 200 entries as of this post. Racers from across the country are descending on Chesapeake,VA to compete in nine classes, the six "championship classes" (21.5, 17.5 and Mod Touring Car, 17.5 Spec, 13.5 and Mod 12th scale) and three "exhibition classes" (VTA, USGT and GT12). ROAR yes does have work to do, but clearly they not only had the confidence in what the awesome folks there are doing, but also the belief that they would be able to put on an awesome show for that week and beyond.
GT12, a class you are of course familiar with down there, has 16 entries which frankly I think is outstanding for an exhibition class. I don't know how many guys from your neck of the woods are coming up for the Nats, but I'd like to hope that the number wasnt adversely affected by people "badmouthing" ROAR because they are a "step behind" and dont do things the way they do them in the FSEARA. The only way that things are going to get better is if we all come together and find what's best for electric onroad in general and even WGT-R in particular (since this is a WGT-R discussion). Even as s fairly inexperienced racer who is learning the finer points of race directing and announcing these days while I recover from surgery, all I will say is that if I were in a significant position with ROAR, and could affect change in policy and rules, I would want to have regular dialogue with track owners and the region directors and find out what is working in each class and take those things and come up with a proper "white paper" for the onroad segment. Class structure, formulae, everything that could be disseminated across the country. Getting people in the right places to help clear up any concerns about it (because frankly while things work, nothing is perfect) and roll it out in reasonable time frame. That's alot better than taking my ball and starting another organization and better than just being like "well we did it this way for x number of years and it works for us so that's that."
Old 03-08-2021, 09:06 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by sugs
Cool. So you guys are outside the rules with 2s power anyway which is fine with me. Where is the track? I'm actually planning to move to Washington in the next few months. I'd love to run a class with LeMans/Group C style body on an F1 chassis.
We drive up about forty minutes from Seattle to Mount Vernon (of course there are those that are closer/more local) racers. The club up there is called NORA. Itís the winter black carpet racing. Tc, f1, 1/12, wgtr.

In summer we have a permanent asphalt track at one of the parks...run by Seattle RC Racers. We race tc and f1 there mostly.

We have Galaxy RC parking lot races up in Lynnwood who does do summer wgtr, tc, f1...and the Tamiya Tcs series.
sugs likes this.
Old 03-09-2021, 08:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I am just a little confused. Have any of you looked at page 1 of this thread? WGTR came out of the ROAR class WGT. They still have rules for that class. WGTR is the rule set written by Brian Wynn of CRC and they are widely followed. He controls the body list. He is flexible on the motor but most follow 17.5 open.

Last edited by old_dude; 04-09-2021 at 02:50 PM.
Old 04-09-2021, 01:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

We have seen a big push towards this class at our facility and its been awesome. no need to change anything, we allow any production car based body, basically if it was sold at a dealership and modified to fit any gt class rules its fine.
Its great for newish guys to rc and new to on road guys because they arent super fast and they are easy to help with setup stuff on. Hell most of our offroad converts run this class.
i would like to see the body list updated but we run plenty of the old bodies too.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.