R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-31-2005, 05:32 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default Been out of the Rc scene for a year & I finally hit the track this past weekend -HELP

I have been out of the RC racing scene for about a year now. I kept all my stuff tucked away in my room. This past weekend I decided to visit my local track for some rc racing.

My setup:

TC3
Novak Cyclone
Stock Monster Pro
3300 GP Racing Cells
Hitec High Speed/Torque Servo
Airtronics MX-3 RX and TX
Sorex 32R

Anyway, My motor has had about two good races about a year ago so the brushes and comm are still in great shape. My cells is what concerns me. They have not been cycled for a year. I preped my car for the race by charging the cells @ 5amps. Then repeaked at 2amps. Each pack lasted a good 1 minute. After another charge, the pack seemed to last much more longer. After the 4th charge, the packs seem to get better and last up to 8 minutes.

My problem is that these cells dont pack a punch anymore after 2 minutes into the race. On the the straight aways, I get passed up like nothing. It cant be my motor as its still in great shape.

These cells are fairly new in terms of times they have been cycled. I would say not more than a dozen cycles. What can I do to revive these expensive cells? I have a good multimeter to measure voltage and such...

Any recommendations as what I can do to bring these puppies back? Or at least get my car up to speed and tear it up again? I really missed the RC racing scene and I belive I have the itch again!!!!!!

Thanks!
civic619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 05:53 PM   #2
Tech Regular

How were the cells stored? They have met their death....

John
jrabbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 06:18 PM   #3
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Cycle em a few more times. Charge at 6 amps, then discharge at 30. You may want to invest in an equalizing tray. This will help too.

And see what the other guys are running. If they're using 3800's, there's your problem.
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 07:03 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to F. Alonso Send a message via Yahoo to F. Alonso

Yeh, all of the newer generation cells are better then the old king, GP3300. IB3600 and IB3800 cells have got more power as do the GP3700.

XRAY | HPI | Hotbodies | Hobbies Australia | LRP Electronics | Futaba
F. Alonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 07:11 PM   #5
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Discharge them down as low as you can at 30 amps then just dead short them, it kills the life of the cells but it sounds like they are already dead anyway, cant hurt to try.

Also, although stock motors havent come very far in the past year, people have figured out how to tune them in much better and it propably has a lot to do with the motor.
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 07:12 PM   #6
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to rcnewb2004

If you want the punch back in them, one suggestion is deadshorting. Less run time, but more pow... use up ur old cells faster, so u can get new ones.

Another option is cycling with a good high amp discharge. 30-35amp should be good to wake up the old cells. I recommend using the Spintec Battery Manager (also called the Spintec "batman"). I used them on my old cells, and they feel like new again on the track.
rcnewb2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 10:44 PM   #7
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to S-T-R-l-K-E-R

your motor may be too old and have lost some magnet strength. get a new motor.
S-T-R-l-K-E-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 05:03 AM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Steve Bahnatka

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic619
What can I do to revive these expensive cells?

Any recommendations as what I can do to bring these puppies back?
Thanks!
I would Check out the Trinity Dyna Pulse .This really brings cells back to life.-Steve Bahnatka
Old 11-01-2005, 12:31 PM   #9
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrabbito
How were the cells stored? They have met their death....

John
They were stored with a little juice left in them as I was told never to store NIHM cells bone dry.

Thanks all for the great responses.. I shall try some of them. Its been such a long time and all these new things have come about... Its time to get out of my shell and get back into the game!!!
civic619 is offline   Reply With Quote