Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Newbie to onroad with some ?'s >

Newbie to onroad with some ?'s

Newbie to onroad with some ?'s

Old 10-30-2005, 05:34 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Newbie to onroad with some ?'s

I am considering joining a local indoor carpet track I just found. I previously have been into nitro trucks. I visited one race day to check it out. Seems most are running associated tc's, tamiyas, and xrays.

My question is for a beginner to onroad, what do you recommend? I want to be competetive in a stock or sportsman class. I am sure all will do, but are there good points and bad points I should be aware of?

I was looking at the TC4 RTR, would this put me at a disadvantage over buying the TC4 kit and adding my own radio?

I know alot of it is preference, but I guess I am asking what is yours?

Thank you in advance for the help!
Old 10-30-2005, 05:38 PM
Tech Initiate

quick Fu question. What about HPI, I noticed no one was running one (at least the day I was there)
Old 10-30-2005, 05:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kcsoa22
I am considering joining a local indoor carpet track I just found. I previously have been into nitro trucks. I visited one race day to check it out. Seems most are running associated tc's, tamiyas, and xrays.

My question is for a beginner to onroad, what do you recommend? I want to be competetive in a stock or sportsman class. I am sure all will do, but are there good points and bad points I should be aware of?

I was looking at the TC4 RTR, would this put me at a disadvantage over buying the TC4 kit and adding my own radio?

I know alot of it is preference, but I guess I am asking what is yours?

Thank you in advance for the help!
Hey Kc, welcome to the fold!

Well...Honestly I would always recommend that you purchase a kit as opposed to an RTR. Why? Because you learn the car inside and out while building it, thus making subsequent maintenance much, much easier.

Second bit of advice. BUY GOOD TOOLS!!! Select your car, then depending on if it uses standard or Metric screws, buy an allen-driver set for the car. It will make building and working onyour car so much easier.

I recommend a set by OFNA, ASSOCIATED, HUDY or RACERS-EDGE.

Now...as far as what car to get. Well first get what you can afford, and get what you have good local parts support for.

Personally, if you have the dough and want an "easy" car to drive fast...Pony up and buy the XRay.

-Sean
Old 10-30-2005, 09:09 PM
Tech Initiate

Why is the xray "easy" to drive? Over the others? I would rather build the car myself with kit, but the kits are almost as much as the RTR. Are the components better in the kit over the RTR?

Thanks for the advice.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:24 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Its not, every car is easy drive. It comes down to setup and your eye handcordination (sp) Get the car people can help you with and have parts in your area. When you start getting good you could be good with just about any car and not need help from others, setup wise. So get what you think looks good and stick with it.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

in the case of the rtr tc4 vs kit, the car(chassis) is very similar and would perform pretty much the same. But the RTR electronics are not the best and the motor although a POS is not legal in most stock classes.

KIT is always the way to go, especially if your going to race. Better to know the car inside out before u get to the track then have to find out the hardway how to adjust or rebuild a diff.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

For a beginner, look at something that has an RTR option available. That pretty much limit's it to Losi and Associated. I would buy a kit if you know you want to get into this hobby, other wise a RTR.

I would stay away from the X_Rays and HPI's and the like at the moment. They are so tuneable you will tune yourself out of competion if your not careful. They are not really "beginner's" cars. They are a little more advanced.

Honest advice would be the Associated TC4. I'm not an Associated fan at all but it's very upgradable, to the FT kit or a few aftermarket companies stuff, for when you get better at driving and tuning. All that fancy stuff will be waste if you don't know what it does to your car.