Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Speed Run Electric (All Classes Welcomed) >

Speed Run Electric (All Classes Welcomed)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree3Likes

Speed Run Electric (All Classes Welcomed)

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 09:51 AM
Tech Rookie

It would be possible to use the 42t ring with the stock pinion right?
Old 06-02-2016, 11:12 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by scottsrt1988
It would be possible to use the 42t ring with the stock pinion right?
Mugen says the 42t ring gear has to be used with their optional 12t diff pinion. It would be awesome if it worked with the stock 13t diff pinion. Try it and let us know. 👍
Old 06-04-2016, 08:00 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by BrandonB75
Hey guys, buying some upgrade stuff in the near future for the XO, for when I get the 8S setup. What tires/wheels would you suggest for when I get it past the speed rating of factory tires? Also on a side note, which Garmin do you suggest? Thanks again! BB
Good to see another XO-1 owner in here. Hopefully I can get my car back on the road again. I am just going to use the factory tires. A guy ran 148 mph with them so that is more than enough for me.
Old 06-05-2016, 07:36 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Xray t1 100 mph quest

Whats up guys. Im new to the site and fairly new to the electric rc world. I have owned a jato for the past 4-5 years but just used it for bashing in the neighborhood. A friend of mine gave me a xray t1 rolling chassis to get my feet wet but with my need for speed im trying to get 100 mph out of it. The build is in progress and this is what i have so far. Any input is welcomed.
Trinity 24k 5.5t
Mamba max pro esc
Castle cap capacitor
Futaba 4pls
Contact foam tires 26mm/30mm
48p 66t spur gear
48p 40t pinion gear
Riley Daytona Prototype
I moved the servo motor from the right side of the chassis to the left side that way it will be able to accomodate the battery along the right side of the chassis amd the electronics on the left with the esc as close as possible to the motor. Any recomendation on a battery? I will run a 3s but want to know which one will give me the strongest punch. Also is that gear combo good to achieve my goal?
Old 06-05-2016, 10:57 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Rock3t_Launcher
Whats up guys. Im new to the site and fairly new to the electric rc world. I have owned a jato for the past 4-5 years but just used it for bashing in the neighborhood. A friend of mine gave me a xray t1 rolling chassis to get my feet wet but with my need for speed im trying to get 100 mph out of it. The build is in progress and this is what i have so far. Any input is welcomed.
Trinity 24k 5.5t
Mamba max pro esc
Castle cap capacitor
Futaba 4pls
Contact foam tires 26mm/30mm
48p 66t spur gear
48p 40t pinion gear
Riley Daytona Prototype
I moved the servo motor from the right side of the chassis to the left side that way it will be able to accomodate the battery along the right side of the chassis amd the electronics on the left with the esc as close as possible to the motor. Any recomendation on a battery? I will run a 3s but want to know which one will give me the strongest punch. Also is that gear combo good to achieve my goal?
Sounds like a good setup. If it doesnt hit 100 you can always go up on gear. For a good 3s battery maybe smc.
Old 06-06-2016, 07:53 AM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tc4basher
Sounds like a good setup. If it doesnt hit 100 you can always go up on gear. For a good 3s battery maybe smc.
Thanks man. 👍🏽.. After this ill move up to a 1/8 scale. I want to try snd get the most out of this setup first.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:07 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tc4basher
Too wide? What do you got?
OFNA Late Model. It's around 310mm wide.
Old 06-09-2016, 12:13 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I'm not sure if there's other threads like this on this forum, but I wanted to ask a personal question to people running 8s 1/8 onroad cars. Do you think it's worth the money invested in batteries and speed controls? I'm debating whether or not to buy an ESC (and I have no clue which I would buy) and some 4s batteries. I'm already heavily invested in this hobby so I'm not too opposed to spending another $500 on batteries and a speed control. Ideally, I'd like to stick with Castle, but I'm not sure about the XLX. Maybe I should wait until the issues are sorted out with the current limiting. As it stands, my MMX on 6s already thermals after a couple passes with a Castle 1515 2200kv motor. My MGT7 is kind of in the shop right now so I don't have any data on my 1600kv motor yet. I ran it with the 1600kv briefly and I think my electronics were a little happier. I'd like to buy a 250A continuous ESC, but like I said, I'm not too sure and wanted to get some input from people who already have 150mph setups. I expect to buy some Turnigy Graphene 4000mAh batteries so that they fit comfortably. I don't expect long run time though the Graphene's advertise longer runtime.
Old 06-09-2016, 12:40 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by RepEvox
I'm not sure if there's other threads like this on this forum, but I wanted to ask a personal question to people running 8s 1/8 onroad cars. Do you think it's worth the money invested in batteries and speed controls? I'm debating whether or not to buy an ESC (and I have no clue which I would buy) and some 4s batteries. I'm already heavily invested in this hobby so I'm not too opposed to spending another $500 on batteries and a speed control. Ideally, I'd like to stick with Castle, but I'm not sure about the XLX. Maybe I should wait until the issues are sorted out with the current limiting. As it stands, my MMX on 6s already thermals after a couple passes with a Castle 1515 2200kv motor. My MGT7 is kind of in the shop right now so I don't have any data on my 1600kv motor yet. I ran it with the 1600kv briefly and I think my electronics were a little happier. I'd like to buy a 250A continuous ESC, but like I said, I'm not too sure and wanted to get some input from people who already have 150mph setups. I expect to buy some Turnigy Graphene 4000mAh batteries so that they fit comfortably. I don't expect long run time though the Graphene's advertise longer runtime.
Only ESC I know of that's good for 8s speed runs is the discontinued XL2. There are some attractive ones like VXP but I never seen them proven.

The Turnigy Graphenes look promising but I never really seen them used succesfully for speed runs yet since they are still new. Let us know how yours work out.
Old 06-09-2016, 01:06 PM
Tech Addict

They are apparently very durable batteries when it comes to cycling. I am trying to be ultra careful of overdischarging my batteries from now on. I expect these batteries to last a while unlike my last battery purchases.
Old 06-09-2016, 04:57 PM
Tech Regular

They are apparently very durable batteries when it comes to cycling. I am trying to be ultra careful of overdischarging my batteries from now on. I expect these batteries to last a while unlike my last battery purchases.
I've found that the batteries aren't that critical. Just figure out how many watts your motor can put out, and work backwards from there

Example: 3000 watt motor on 6s is only about 119 amps max.
(3000/25.2=119.04)

On 8s the max amps are even lower (89amps). So just get a quality battery in the 4000mah+ range, capable of at least 60c constant. (4x60=240amps). I just run the 2s 5000mah 65/130c nanotechs (5x65=325amps), and make a clean harness to run them is series.

The ESC will be the hard part. The VXP on eBay looks to be the only real option, but no one has tried one yet. Good luck.
Old 06-09-2016, 06:40 PM
Tech Addict

I have found battery selection to be critical. I had a few Turnigy's puff on me and now two of my SMC's are approaching their end lifetime. I'm not too worried about capacity if I run two 4s in series. I understand the conversions and as you pointed out, I'm primarily interested in a couple 4s 4000mAh 65C Graphene's if I settle on an ESC. Like I said, it's not really the performance I'm attracted to, but the fact they run cooler and cycle longer. Something like 1000 cycles and <20% capacity loss. Sounds like a bunch of hype nonsense to me, but they're no more expensive than the lipos I would have bought from SMC.

As for VXP, I've looked at those and I don't like the fact there are spelling mistakes and it ships from Singapore. I'd prefer going the MGM route, but it would be about $280-$450 depending on the features I want for a 8s compatible, 250A ESC. To be honest, I like Castle for what they are, and I'd really like some sort of warranty and customer support. I'm in no rush, I just wanted to get some opinions on how others feel after buying their electronics and if they'd do it again.

Oh I've got one of the discontinued Castle 1520 1600kv motors in it right now. It's a 3000 watt motor, but it's rated for 60k RPM (even though their website claims 6s max). My 2200kv got too hot on 6s. So far the 1600kv made it through multiple passes and nothing got too hot. I ran through the whole pack without the ESC thermal throttling and the motor was hot, but I don't have any active cooling yet for it. I'll be buying the yeah racing heatsink and dual fan setup.
Old 06-09-2016, 07:43 PM
Tech Regular

I have found battery selection to be critical. I had a few Turnigy's puff on me and now two of my SMC's are approaching their end lifetime. I'm not too worried about capacity if I run two 4s in series. I understand the conversions and as you pointed out, I'm primarily interested in a couple 4s 4000mAh 65C Graphene's if I settle on an ESC. Like I said, it's not really the performance I'm attracted to, but the fact they run cooler and cycle longer. Something like 1000 cycles and <20% capacity loss. Sounds like a bunch of hype nonsense to me, but they're no more expensive than the lipos I would have bought from SMC.
In my opinion, it's all about how you treat the batteries. Some people abuse their "cheap" batteries, and they puff, while they are really careful with their "expensive" batteries, so they last longer, and give the illusion that they are substantially better. Also, with speed runs putting extreme stress on batteries, they're not gonna last as long as they would normally. I only put one pass on my batteries before I recharge them. Second passes are always slower, so I find them a waste of time.

Capacity means a lot to me. It determines the amp output of the battery, which is the most important part. Also, the larger the pack, the less voltage sag you get, which is also super important in speed runs. This will also help the packs last longer. I think for the ROSSA event in September, I might try some 7500mah 90c packs.
Old 06-09-2016, 08:20 PM
Tech Initiate

I'm new to 1/8 gt,what's the difference between like say an Ofna hyper gte & team c gt8-le other than size?
Old 06-09-2016, 08:26 PM
Tech Addict

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by reracer
In my opinion, it's all about how you treat the batteries. Some people abuse their "cheap" batteries, and they puff, while they are really careful with their "expensive" batteries, so they last longer, and give the illusion that they are substantially better. Also, with speed runs putting extreme stress on batteries, they're not gonna last as long as they would normally. I only put one pass on my batteries before I recharge them. Second passes are always slower, so I find them a waste of time.

Capacity means a lot to me. It determines the amp output of the battery, which is the most important part. Also, the larger the pack, the less voltage sag you get, which is also super important in speed runs. This will also help the packs last longer. I think for the ROSSA event in September, I might try some 7500mah 90c packs.

I don't disagree with anything you've said. I realize speed runs and overdischarging especially significantly reduce the battery's lifetime. Those Graphene 4000mAh batteries are 65C (260A), and they even have 5000mAh hard cased ones rated at 90C in 2s and 4s...again, not sure if the numbers are accurate.

@Biff73 They are both 1/8 scale GT1 style. There is such a thing as GT2 style 1/8 onroad cars which have a longer chassis and thus wheelbase. If I remember correctly, OFNA used to sell the the Team C GT8le as the GTv2e. Not sure what happened to OFNA, I guess they made some changes and switched to eOFNA.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.