Tools!

Old 08-16-2015, 09:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SagadSetup
So I see tools like this and they boggle my mind that they exist. I understand the need to measure shocks but what I don't understand is why there is a need for a tool that does ONLY that. Maybe I am old school but I feel like you could spend hundereds of dollars on various measuring tools/fixtures that can all be saved simply by buying a $20 set of 6" digital calipers.
Old 08-16-2015, 09:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Drew Manzella
So I see tools like this and they boggle my mind that they exist. I understand the need to measure shocks but what I don't understand is why there is a need for a tool that does ONLY that. Maybe I am old school but I feel like you could spend hundereds of dollars on various measuring tools/fixtures that can all be saved simply by buying a $20 set of 6" digital calipers.
Except this tool does not only measure shock length (as a caliper also could) but directly compares the dampening rate of a pair of shocks also (which a caliper cannot). So it does a little more than just 1 thing. But if that is really worth 32 bucks... different story. Apart from the price, the idea doesn't sound all that terrible to me.
Old 08-16-2015, 10:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DirkW
Except this tool does not only measure shock length (as a caliper also could) but directly compares the dampening rate of a pair of shocks also (which a caliper cannot). So it does a little more than just 1 thing. But if that is really worth 32 bucks... different story. Apart from the price, the idea doesn't sound all that terrible to me.
That was my first impression on the tool until I saw the features.

Not only it measures dampening but can also determine if spring rates are matched.

Here is an article on the tool:

http://www.rctech.net/articles/artic...matching-tool/
Old 08-16-2015, 03:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Not only it measures dampening but can also determine if spring rates are matched.
...the more competitive you get the more of the details you start to look at like sprint rates. so yes, this would be worth it to me. ...heck I am looking into a shock air removal tool which I never thought was worth it.

Speaking of, it looks like that Ride "long" is the better choice vs the Tamiya brand? -yes?
going to place an order probably tomorrow.
Old 08-16-2015, 03:53 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Great thread, I was thinking of starting something like this a while ago...

Originally Posted by eR1c
...the more competitive you get the more of the details you start to look at like sprint rates. so yes, this would be worth it to me. ...heck I am looking into a shock air removal tool which I never thought was worth it.

Speaking of, it looks like that Ride "long" is the better choice vs the Tamiya brand? -yes?
going to place an order probably tomorrow.
The shock air removal tool is worth every penny. I have the tamiya long version and I've been able to do b5m shocks. I haven't tried stadium truck shocks but I would assume it should be ok to fit.

The losi shock tool...well I never found it to be helpful and I have had it since it came out.

As for spring rates I think GeForce and sky rc both have a spring rate measurement tool that is a recent release.

edit:

http://www.teameamotorsports.com/ind...product_id=181

Here are some other cool tools:

http://www.teameamotorsports.com/ind...product_id=162

http://www.teameamotorsports.com/ind...product_id=156

http://www.teameamotorsports.com/ind...product_id=131

http://www.teameamotorsports.com/ind...product_id=142
Old 08-16-2015, 08:37 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by RCBuddha
As for spring rates I think GeForce and sky rc both have a spring rate measurement tool that is a recent release.
This would have more valie to me than the shock length tool thing. I haven't pulled the trigger however because I'm not confident it will do what it says in all cases.

I see a need for a good spring rater because there is absolutely no standard whatsoever in spring ratings - at least not in pancar springs. I'd love to take an RSD, Roche, Associated and CRC spring and have an actual numerical value to compare them all against.

The other thing that has kept me from dropping the money is that the process of rating a spring is inherently simple and can be done any number of ways with nothing more specialized than a scale and calipers.
Old 08-16-2015, 10:04 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Drew Manzella
This would have more valie to me than the shock length tool thing. I haven't pulled the trigger however because I'm not confident it will do what it says in all cases.
I agree. I have G-force one I linked to earlier, but I haven't had a good chance to test it out. I'm curious if it can produce consistent results for a given spring and then to compare it to another spring tester to see if reads the same for the same spring.
Old 08-17-2015, 05:27 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by RCBuddha
I agree. I have G-force one I linked to earlier, but I haven't had a good chance to test it out. I'm curious if it can produce consistent results for a given spring and then to compare it to another spring tester to see if reads the same for the same spring.
Once you have used it a bit please report back to me on how successful you were please. I am curious...
Old 08-17-2015, 07:52 AM
Tech Elite

What are your guys preffered tool for removing ball joints? ...I've been using a small forked plastic tool from yeah racing that works okay, but was curious if I am missing out on something better?

http://www.rcmart.com/yeah-racing-yt0061bk-delrin-ball-remover-p-30407.html?cPath=456_798
Old 08-17-2015, 08:10 AM
Tech Master

What are your guys preffered tool for removing ball joints? ...I've been using a small forked plastic tool from yeah racing that works okay, but was curious if I am missing out on something better?

http://www.rcmart.com/yeah-racing-yt...?cPath=456_798
My favorite ball tool.
Attached Thumbnails Tools!-1330a.jpg  
Old 08-17-2015, 08:44 AM
Tech Elite

http://www.rcmart.com/yeah-racing-yt...?cPath=456_798
Someone in the MiniCooper thread mentioned they use a round jaw plier, so I got a pair of Xcelites. Works very well, no scratches on the plastic joint nor the ball itself.

http://www.amazon.com/Xcelite-RN54-P...lite+round+jaw

Ballend removers work well if you have the room. Sometimes I find myself not having enough space to slide the tool.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:00 PM
Tech Elite

Someone in the MiniCooper thread mentioned they use a round jaw plier, so I got a pair of Xcelites. Works very well, no scratches on the plastic joint nor the ball itself.

http://www.amazon.com/Xcelite-RN54-P...lite+round+jaw
I have a pair of those but dont find them easy to use ...maybe my pronged plastic doo-hickey is still best for me.

Geezatec,
I don't care for those pliers ...I have a pair and stopped using them after I scratched the heck out of my nice metal ball studs. But maybe I was too rough with them?
Old 08-17-2015, 12:16 PM
Tech Elite

I have a pair of those but dont find them easy to use ...maybe my pronged plastic doo-hickey is still best for me.

Geezatec,
I don't care for those pliers ...I have a pair and stopped using them after I scratched the heck out of my nice metal ball studs. But maybe I was too rough with them?
Really... I'm surprised to hear that, eR1c.

Maybe you can go to HarborFreight and look for "interior tool" for car panel removal. Then cut out a long U shape slot in the middle of the blade.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

What are you guys running that you need to pop your ball studs all the time? Once I get an eyelet on a ballstud I never remove it unless I have to. The on and off action really tears an eyelet apart. They get sloppy. The only part on my car that I would have to pop a ballstud would be on the outer camber links and I just never would see the need unless you broke a caster block or steering block. If that's the case you just unscrew the ballstud itself from the plastic. and replace the part that is broken. I get that all cars aren't made the same, but you are basically ruining an eyelet every time you pop it off.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:53 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Carnage9270
What are you guys running that you need to pop your ball studs all the time? Once I get an eyelet on a ballstud I never remove it unless I have to. The on and off action really tears an eyelet apart. They get sloppy. The only part on my car that I would have to pop a ballstud would be on the outer camber links and I just never would see the need unless you broke a caster block or steering block. If that's the case you just unscrew the ballstud itself from the plastic. and replace the part that is broken. I get that all cars aren't made the same, but you are basically ruining an eyelet every time you pop it off.
For me, during damper rebuild mostly, and spring swap.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.