Should have mine tomorrow, will let you know
Old 08-11-2015, 08:57 AM
Tech Elite

The supplier;
http://www.zen-racing.co.uk/catalog/
Old 08-11-2015, 09:59 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Looks interesting. The site doesn't explain very well how it works. I'm guessing the module sits by the side of the track, uses some sort of IR sensor to detect a car passing, and sends a signal to your phone via Bluetooth. It probably will only be useful with a single car on the track. I am interested to hear some reviews.
Old 08-11-2015, 10:39 AM
Tech Regular

Yes funked you are right.
The Orange/White box sits by the side of the track and there is an IR transmitter in the car which must be aimed out of the window. The box is connected to an iOS device (iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch) by bluetooth.

All of the timing is handled by the iPhone in my case.
When you are on the rostrum, sliding the "Auto" slider prompts you to connect to your box which happens almost instantly. Once connected, the car passing the box start the timer. Each lap time is called by Siri from your iDevice, I prefer to use earphones but it will also work on loudspeaker if you prefer.

You can set your phone to vibrate to indicate the start of the run and vibrate to finish, there is also an option for Siri to call how many minutes you are into your run. The app also announces when you are on your last lap.

When you pass the box for your last lap the app announces a summary e.g. "Eighteen laps in three hundred and six seconds, your fastest lap was sixteen point six four seconds".

You then have the option to save the lap time data from that run, pressing save brings up a screen where you can input the name of the track and attach notes which are reviewable later. (I document setup changes made and any other information I feel was relevant to the run. You can see this any time under the history button in the app.

I hope you find this information useful and it clears up some questions.
Attached Thumbnails Pocket Pit lap timer-img_1938.jpg   Pocket Pit lap timer-dsc_1350.jpg   Pocket Pit lap timer-img_1939.jpg   Pocket Pit lap timer-img_1941.jpg  
Old 08-11-2015, 02:55 PM
Tech Regular

Cool product. Too bad it doesn't support android
Old 08-11-2015, 04:39 PM
Tech Regular

This looks really interesting. I really could use my own basic timing system and already have an iPhone. Excited to hear any feedback, but the main thing I'm curious about is the Bluetooth range; Are you able to take your phone up to the driver's stand? Or does it need to stay down by the counter for a good connection? I know this is very dependent on track layout, just curious about other people's experience.
Old 08-11-2015, 06:08 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by WesRaven
This looks really interesting. I really could use my own basic timing system and already have an iPhone. Excited to hear any feedback, but the main thing I'm curious about is the Bluetooth range; Are you able to take your phone up to the driver's stand? Or does it need to stay down by the counter for a good connection? I know this is very dependent on track layout, just curious about other people's experience.
My experience with Bluetooth in general is about 30 to 50 ft
Old 08-11-2015, 06:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Here is another pic from Red RC

Pocket Pit lap timer-unnamed.jpg
Old 08-11-2015, 11:16 PM
Tech Regular

but the main thing I'm curious about is the Bluetooth range; Are you able to take your phone up to the driver's stand? Or does it need to stay down by the counter for a good connection?
Amongst the tracks we have tested at 2 of them run ⅛ gas with tall rostrums made from shipping containers.
Throughout testing we have had the phone in our pocket (Pocket Pit ) and the Bluetooth connection has been strong. This allows you to listen to your lap times through headphones.
The Bluetooth module in the box is rated at 10m (33ft) but I did a range test in my garden which is 80ft long and the connection didn't drop.

One thing I forgot to mention perviously, the IR is coded and there are over 200 unique codes so multiple cars on the track shouldn't present a problem, it is a personal timing system though, so you need 1 per car.
Old 08-11-2015, 11:34 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks for the info, that's very helpful. Definitely going to pick one up.
Old 08-11-2015, 11:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Zeppin has one coming out also.
Old 08-12-2015, 01:07 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks for the info, that's very helpful. Definitely going to pick one up.
No problem
Old 08-12-2015, 02:41 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by TOM MAR
Zeppin has one coming out also.
It doesn't look anywhere near as simple as the iPhone compatible pit pocket. However, if it is cheaper it would be a good option. Any idea on price?
Old 08-12-2015, 03:58 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by filippimini
It doesn't look anywhere near as simple as the iPhone compatible pit pocket. However, if it is cheaper it would be a good option. Any idea on price?
It better be cheaper, because looking at it's specs, it isn't as good

It even mentions a 'Wireless audio transmitter', then later on in the FAQ tells us they aren't making that part lol
So the box sits beside the track and you have to look at it after, that's nowhere near as good as having it read out on your own phone

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.