R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-30-2005, 12:00 AM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default T1FK05, cream of the crop, awsome engineering,lusted after ????

well....the other brands all had a thread
Mdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 01:57 AM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hey, I don't own one, but I throw in my opinion anyway (and even go off-topic already)

I have seen drivers switch from older cars to the 05 and they have definately gone better, but they were what I call "first generation tourers, TC3 etc.

I'd like to see if someone switched from some current tc to an 05, if they would still go quicker - as a lot of these comparisons made over the net seem a little biased IMO.

But what about the great X-Ray quality? A US$400 car that comes with plastic shocks This is where I go off topic.....

Why is it that a few years ago US$280 was the "normal price" for a good-spec tc, and now they all come out for around US$400 with the claim that they don't need any hop-ups, yet only a couple of months after they are released the options come flooding

Xray05, Yokomo BD, Cyclone etc etc - all very expensive, all still require something or other to maximise their performance. If they still require the same level of hop-ups then why are they so much more expensive than the last generation of tc's?

They don't really cost much more to make so are we now paying for the development costs as well? I suppose it's supply and demand but anyone else feel like we're getting screwed?

Perhaps we need to stop listening to all the marketing hype!
FIR#2 - "You can't buy this much talent"
Durango Dex410 - Schumacher Cougar SV - Top Photon
bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 01:58 AM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdoc
well....the other brands all had a thread
Dude...Don't bite my style...

-Me
Soviet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 01:02 AM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bender
Hey, I don't own one, but I throw in my opinion anyway (and even go off-topic already)

I have seen drivers switch from older cars to the 05 and they have definately gone better, but they were what I call "first generation tourers, TC3 etc.

I'd like to see if someone switched from some current tc to an 05, if they would still go quicker - as a lot of these comparisons made over the net seem a little biased IMO.

But what about the great X-Ray quality? A US$400 car that comes with plastic shocks This is where I go off topic.....

Why is it that a few years ago US$280 was the "normal price" for a good-spec tc, and now they all come out for around US$400 with the claim that they don't need any hop-ups, yet only a couple of months after they are released the options come flooding

Xray05, Yokomo BD, Cyclone etc etc - all very expensive, all still require something or other to maximise their performance. If they still require the same level of hop-ups then why are they so much more expensive than the last generation of tc's?

They don't really cost much more to make so are we now paying for the development costs as well? I suppose it's supply and demand but anyone else feel like we're getting screwed?

one quick sydney driver recently switched from RDX to FK05. he is already quicker.
Old 10-30-2005, 01:12 AM   #5
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I think the gentleman had a very good point about the price tag and the options. Plastic shock bodies with aluminum caps are just screaming "replace me". While there can be some argument against not adding the Battery Strap, or Aluminum C hubs or Rear Steering Blocks it would be nice if a car was actually offered with all these hop ups included.
jamescam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 02:15 AM   #6
Tech Rookie

If I still had to race with plastic cars like TC3 or Yokomo MR4TC I would quit. Racing cars are supposed to be proper racing cars with the best materials, not like plastic toy cars. I happily pay 100+ USD for these cars that makes me smile every time I look at them. Anyway cheap plastic cars are still available so you are free to chose those if you want them.
Blizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 03:05 AM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizz
If I still had to race with plastic cars like TC3 or Yokomo MR4TC I would quit. Racing cars are supposed to be proper racing cars with the best materials, not like plastic toy cars. I happily pay 100+ USD for these cars that makes me smile every time I look at them. Anyway cheap plastic cars are still available so you are free to chose those if you want them.

Congratulations!

You Sir are an idiot.

-Me
Soviet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 05:05 AM   #8
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet
Congratulations!

You Sir are an idiot.
Sleighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 06:03 AM   #9
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to odawg315

i must be an idiot as well, cuz i agree with him... guess im an idiot with a 4yr degree!!
odawg315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 06:28 AM   #10
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by odawg315
i must be an idiot as well, cuz i agree with him... guess im an idiot with a 4yr degree!!
Well theysay you can't teach common sense.

Neil Armstrong 1968
Cammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 06:54 AM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bender

The plastic shocks are included because team drivers run them and feel that they are smoother and work better than the aluminum bodies. The plastic shocks are fantastic if you assemble them correctly.

The other hopups or parts are only to make small improvements for certain surfaces....they are more option parts for tuning than true 'hopups'....the car is perfectly capable on most surfaces straight out of the box...(different springs and shock oils aside...but even that will depend on driving style and setup)
ChrisP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 07:00 AM   #12
Tech Addict

with the xray needing hopups I really dont belive that to be so if the plastic shocks are are filled exactly as the manual says they work great

i bought the alloy shock bodies and found no difference

i bought the trf shocks and have to say they aint that fantastic + the xray shocks are adjustable 1 to 4 holes open which is very cool and just as smooth

as for the alloy c-hubs i'll never wast my money on them again just bent one to about 7 deg last meet

the only part I would say buy is the steel axels the original ones are crap if you use a lot of steering

from all the cars ive seen driven and owned the xray is still the most well made car on the market how ever the corally RDX is as equal
Old 10-30-2005, 07:03 AM   #13
Tech Master

I would not go as far as saying tub cars are toys. Molds are very expensive to make but make it easier to mass produce components. You would have to be pretty sure you were going to sell enough cars to get your money's worth though. CNC machining chassis', towers and top plates is less expensive, but you have to pay more for graphite plate material and have to put up with supply issues. With CNC machining bulkheads as well as the chassis components, all you have to do is make a program change to make updates to your car (every year or so which seams to be the trend). The quality control is better with fewer "bad" pieces slipping through the cracks. Plus, you are not married to a mold and can be free to make changes when needed.

As far as the plastic shocks go, just try telling Ralph Burch or Jarrod Scott the plastic shocks are crap. The Xray plastic shocks are silky smooth. I think just because they are plastic we assume they are not good. Just my two cents.
Art Jensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 07:09 AM   #14
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_barbarian
with the xray needing hopups I really dont belive that to be so if the plastic shocks are are filled exactly as the manual says they work great

i bought the alloy shock bodies and found no difference

i bought the trf shocks and have to say they aint that fantastic + the xray shocks are adjustable 1 to 4 holes open which is very cool and just as smooth

as for the alloy c-hubs i'll never wast my money on them again just bent one to about 7 deg last meet

the only part I would say buy is the steel axels the original ones are crap if you use a lot of steering

from all the cars ive seen driven and owned the xray is still the most well made car on the market how ever the corally RDX is as equal
Well said. I would rather have a plastic component break and know it was broken than tweak an aluminum component not notice it until I was wondering why my car was handling like a bag of shizzle!!
Art Jensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 07:20 AM   #15
Tech Elite

http://www.teamxray.com/xforum/viewf...08558085c9c817
ChadCapece is offline   Reply With Quote