Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to nutfluff
Default The RC Diaries aka 20 ?'s

Answer these questions to tell us "How bad you have it!"

1) How many cars do you own?

2) Most stupid thing you’ve done in RC…

3) Best thing you’ve ever done in RC…

4) If offered to choose between wrenching on your car or a date/sex, have you ever chosen wrenching?

5) Have you ever hacked intentionally?

6) The most creative thing you’ve done to keep your car running with a broken part? How long did it last?

7) What’s the biggest RC purchase you’ve made for something you didn’t need but had to have? What was the actual price compared to the modified price you told your wife/parents?

8) What’s your worst RC related injury?

9) How good do you think you are?

10) What do you hate most; a) gluing tires b)building shocks c)e-clips d)slop

11) Do you paint your own bodies? Do you have the same scheme on all your cars?

12) At the track do people come to you and ask questions or do you ask people questions?

13) Ever cut the track? If so, was it at a “big” race?

14) Do you turn marshal your friends faster than others?

15) What’s the difference between EXP and EPA?

16) Have you ever videotaped your cars running?

17) Do you wear RC themed clothes outside of the track?

18) Most consecutive days you’ve driven an RC car?

19) Where do you buy; Online or LHS?

20) Made it to the bottom of this list because you love talking RC?
nutfluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 12:46 AM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

5 right now

Bought an MRC Charger

Switch to Schumacher

4) If offered to choose between wrenching on your car or a date/sex, have you ever chosen wrenching?
Nope.

Yes.

6) The most creative thing you’ve done to keep your car running with a broken part? How long did it last?
Super glue an arm. One more race, only needed to last for the main.

7) What’s the biggest RC purchase you’ve made for something you didn’t need but had to have? What was the actual price compared to the modified price you told your wife/parents?
Traxxas Revo (Still not totally sure why) Same price. I don't lie about that. (Don't always offer it up though.)

Burned by soldering iron that was supposed to be unplugged and cooled.

I can hold my own.

Gluing Tires by far.

No I don't paint anymore and yes I have the same scheme.

12) At the track do people come to you and ask questions or do you ask people questions?
People usually come to me and ask questions.

Not without stopping and waiting.

No

Exponential and End Point Adjustment.

Yes

Yes

6 I think

Yes
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 01:30 AM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

1) How many cars do you own? - 12, but I'm a collector

2) Most stupid thing you’ve done in RC… - becoming a collector

3) Best thing you’ve ever done in RC… - Making the A-main at the Nationals on 4 occasions, plus helping others

4) If offered to choose between wrenching on your car or a date/sex, have you ever chosen wrenching? - No

5) Have you ever hacked intentionally? - Yes, twice.

6) The most creative thing you’ve done to keep your car running with a broken part? How long did it last? Well this is sort of r/c related - On the way to the track once my car blew it's radiator hose. I knew people were counting on me as I was bringing the lap-counting computer, so I cut up a proline tyre, wrapped it round split hose, glued it up and put some cable ties on it! It worked so well that I left it like that permanently

7) What’s the biggest RC purchase you’ve made for something you didn’t need but had to have? What was the actual price compared to the modified price you told your wife/parents? - see #1 - It's hard to tell your wife that the 18 year old car you bought cost twice as much as your current race car

8) What’s your worst RC related injury? - Hot solder dripping onto various limbs, but everyone does that right

9) How good do you think you are? - good, no wait.. ok... no hang on....average.... no, that's not right....

10) What do you hate most; a) gluing tires b)building shocks c)e-clips d)slop - building shocks - that counts as b and c!

11) Do you paint your own bodies? Do you have the same scheme on all your cars? I paint my bodies and I hate it, and they are usually always different - but easy because I stink at painting

12) At the track do people come to you and ask questions or do you ask people questions? - both

13) Ever cut the track? If so, was it at a “big” race? - Once, and No.

14) Do you turn marshal your friends faster than others? - In the words of Gollum "You dont have any friends!

15) What’s the difference between EXP and EPA? EXP=servo speed? EPA=end points - do I get a point for that?

16) Have you ever videotaped your cars running?- No

17) Do you wear RC themed clothes outside of the track? - Do hats count?

18) Most consecutive days you’ve driven an RC car? 8.

19) Where do you buy; Online or LHS? - usually on-line

20) Made it to the bottom of this list because you love talking RC? - Once I start something I like to fini...........
FIR#2 - "You can't buy this much talent"
Durango Dex410 - Schumacher Cougar SV - Top Photon
bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 01:40 AM   #4
Tech Master

Default Answer these questions to tell us "How bad you have it!"

1) How many cars do you own? 1

2) Most stupid thing you’ve done in RC… I melted a Novak Esc once

3) Best thing you’ve ever done in RC… 4th place in a National Champs.

4) If offered to choose between wrenching on your car or a date/sex, have you ever chosen wrenching? Not in this life time.

5) Have you ever hacked intentionally? No

6) The most creative thing you’ve done to keep your car running with a broken part? Never run with a broken part How long did it last? See part one of this question

7) What’s the biggest RC purchase you’ve made for something you didn’t need but had to have? A Kyosho Hurrican Boat. What was the actual price compared to the modified price you told your wife/parents? The same.

8) What’s your worst RC related injury? Cut myself with a hobby blade, that's about it really.

9) How good do you think you are? I can build a car as good as anyone (including Masami's Dad)....the up side of obsesive compulsive. :P

10) What do you hate most; a) gluing tires b)building shocks c)e-clips d)slop. D

11) Do you paint your own bodies? Yes Do you have the same scheme on all your cars? Yes

12) At the track do people come to you and ask questions or do you ask people questions? Both

13) Ever cut the track? No If so, was it at a “big” race?

14) Do you turn marshal your friends faster than others? No

15) What’s the difference between EXP and EPA? The letter A.

16) Have you ever videotaped your cars running? Well Duh. :P

17) Do you wear RC themed clothes outside of the track? Sometimes

18) Most consecutive days you’ve driven an RC car? 3

19) Where do you buy; Online or LHS? Online

20) Made it to the bottom of this list because you love talking RC? No just bored.
Mabuchi540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 05:05 AM   #5
Tech Adept

nearly down to 3 - just about to sell my FTB4

fortunately nothing yet, but I’m sure something is on its way.....

finished 10th in F2 in the nationals

nuh

no

i’ve been lucky enough to have a spare

spent a fortune on buying a gas powered 8th rallycross. which meant having to buy the engine, servos, starter box etc etc. thought i was going to really enjoy it! Prefered electric TCs - oops.

having some kid use my ankle as a brake.

i’m getting there.

gluing tyres

would love to have someone else paint my shells, but its just to expensive.

both

haven’t got a clue what you are on about, not heard of this term before

?

I understand EXP, never used EPA.

not yet. my mate and i are planning to record each others races soon.

of course

only 3

mainly online

just waiting for kettle to boil...
Old 10-30-2005, 05:16 AM   #6
Tech Addict

1) How many cars do you own? - Two at the present time

2) Most stupid thing you’ve done in RC… - put a battery pack in my pocket and shorting it out

3) Best thing you’ve ever done in RC… - Buy a Yokomo as my first real race car.

4) If offered to choose between wrenching on your car or a date/sex, have you ever chosen wrenching? - Yes i have chosen wrenching

5) Have you ever hacked intentionally? - If im being honest then -Yes

6) The most creative thing you’ve done to keep your car running with a broken part? How long did it last? - Rubber o rings to keep my motor in place so i could run a smaller pinion, it lasted 1 lap! that was in my first year of racing.

7) What’s the biggest RC purchase you’ve made for something you didn’t need but had to have? What was the actual price compared to the modified price you told your wife/parents? - £270 for Ko radio, im always honest with what it costs me

8) What’s your worst RC related injury? - Several soldering burns, my recent one is rather good.

9) How good do you think you are? - I would say im either the best or 2nd best at my local clubs and usually D final at national races, thats only after a year racing national though.

10) What do you hate most; a) gluing tires b)building shocks c)e-clips d)slop - Used to be slop, now its building shocks

11) Do you paint your own bodies? Do you have the same scheme on all your cars? - No

12) At the track do people come to you and ask questions or do you ask people questions? - People mostly ask me questions

13) Ever cut the track? If so, was it at a “big” race? - No

14) Do you turn marshal your friends faster than others? - I try to marshall fairly but my friends would get marshalled first.

15) What’s the difference between EXP and EPA? - Expo and end point adjustment.

16) Have you ever videotaped your cars running? - Yes

17) Do you wear RC themed clothes outside of the track? - Noooo

18) Most consecutive days you’ve driven an RC car? - 2

19) Where do you buy; Online or LHS? - Online mostly

20) Made it to the bottom of this list because you love talking RC? - Basically yes and coz im bored
Sleighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 05:50 AM   #7
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

1) How many cars do you own? - 6

2) Most stupid thing you’ve done in RC… - Tried to hold on a wheel with chewing gum.....

3) Best thing you’ve ever done in RC… - Buying a MR4TC - BD

4) If offered to choose between wrenching on your car or a date/sex, have you ever chosen wrenching? - Yes if she was a real dog

5) Have you ever hacked intentionally? - Yes, but he deserved it.

6) The most creative thing you’ve done to keep your car running with a broken part? How long did it last? - Has to be the Chewing gum to hold on the wheel again. It lasted around.... hmm 2 corners.

7) What’s the biggest RC purchase you’ve made for something you didn’t need but had to have? What was the actual price compared to the modified price you told your wife/parents? - Blue alloy parts for a TL-01 total = £110

8) What’s your worst RC related injury? - a nice burn on the wrist after some prick spun his wheels up half way through marshalling.

9) How good do you think you are? - I would rate myself average in the grand scale of things. I should really race more but i dont have the transport.

10) What do you hate most; a) gluing tires b)building shocks c)e-clips d)slop - Slop, even though it does not make much difference i recently ordered a full drivetrain to stop this issue. lol

11) Do you paint your own bodies? Do you have the same scheme on all your cars? - Most i paint myself. Not usually the same colour.

12) At the track do people come to you and ask questions or do you ask people questions? - People ask me questions. I also ask others questions if they are beating me

13) Ever cut the track? If so, was it at a “big” race? - No.

14) Do you turn marshal your friends faster than others? - Always, its just natural.

15) What’s the difference between EXP and EPA? - Expo and end point adjustment. End point = Where you set the servo to stop when the car reaches full lock. Expo= The servo speed at certain points in the servos rotation.

16) Have you ever videotaped your cars running? - Yes

17) Do you wear RC themed clothes outside of the track? - Nope,

18) Most consecutive days you’ve driven an RC car? - 2

19) Where do you buy; Online or LHS? - Online mostly, i try to buy LHS but its so much more expensive.

20) Made it to the bottom of this list because you love talking RC? - Im bored. And we all love RC on here
Old 10-30-2005, 05:50 AM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to GroffBall

1) How many cars do you own? 6

2) Most stupid thing you’ve done in RC… bought an airplane

3) Best thing you’ve ever done in RC… Started racing touring cars

4) If offered to choose between wrenching on your car or a date/sex, have you ever chosen wrenching? No

5) Have you ever hacked intentionally? Yes, but only because it was Frank

6) The most creative thing you’ve done to keep your car running with a broken part? How long did it last? I'm sure I did some pretty crazy stuff over the years, but I can't remember anything recently

7) What’s the biggest RC purchase you’ve made for something you didn’t need but had to have? What was the actual price compared to the modified price you told your wife/parents? Probably the Pit board and skins I'm buying from Tres, but they are so cool... Havn't told the wife yet.

8) What’s your worst RC related injury? Myself: Grabbing the wrong end of a soldering Iron... Someone else: Broke my grandma's ankle

9) How good do you think you are? I'm not too bad I guess, depends on who ya ask

10) What do you hate most; a) gluing tires b)building shocks c)e-clips d)slop All of the above

11) Do you paint your own bodies? Do you have the same scheme on all your cars? Yes, and kinda, Same scheme but I use different colors from onroad to offroad

12) At the track do people come to you and ask questions or do you ask people questions? Some people come to me, I go to others, nobody is that good that they never need to ask a question

13) Ever cut the track? If so, was it at a “big” race? No, and No

14) Do you turn marshal your friends faster than others? Slower

15) What’s the difference between EXP and EPA? EXP, is the curve response, EPA is end point adjustment

16) Have you ever videotaped your cars running? No, but been video taped

17) Do you wear RC themed clothes outside of the track? No

18) Most consecutive days you’ve driven an RC car? Who knows

19) Where do you buy; Online or LHS? LHS, gotta support where you race, they don't make money from the racing, but from the parts, if we don't buy from them they might not be in business too long.

20) Made it to the bottom of this list because you love talking RC? I'm bored.
GroffBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 09:01 AM   #9
Tech Fanatic

-Jump the wall at the end of a straightaway (purposely) hitting a sink destroying my truck.

-Finished 2nd in the modified TC A-main, with a friends car having never run modified before.

-No

-Yes

-Where do I start?

-Pretty much everything I bought to "bling" out my cars, always try to tell parents it was only 1/10th of the actual price.

-Plugged in soldering iron + my hand = 3rd degree burn.

-Fairly decent.

-All of them...

-Yes...

-Both

-Not on purpose, and if I did I would stop and wait.

-No

-Exponental and End Point Adjustment

-Yes

-Yes

-5 or 6.

-Local Hobby Shop

-Yes Indeedy
RobS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 09:30 AM   #10
Tech Master

1: My TC4

Won some A-mains...Won the Sportsman Mod track championship

I've chosen racing over a dance. Most of the girls at my school suck...(in the wrong sence, LOL)

Yes, Payback is a....

CA glue/ducttaping my XRay back together. Lasted two packs. I can name a few more too, just need some breakfast first.

At the time I thought it would have been the AMB personal transponder but I've grown to like it (and need it!)

Bruised ribs, falling off the driver's stand and landing perpendicular to a wooden board below. Also the usual, X-acto cuts & solder burns all the time (to the point of where I just shrug and keep working now)

Decent, Mid pack Expert Stock, Lower-Mid pack 19t, Upper-Mid pack 19t foam, Lower Pack Expert Mod.

Gluing tires

Yes, I did run red & white but recently changed it Black/Pink/White

A bit of both

I think I cut the track once back in Sportsman Stock by accident

Not really

Exponential effects how the car steers, Endpoints effect how much it steers

No

When I get some, I will

LHS when I can, Online when needed

Yep

Last edited by BlackKat; 10-30-2005 at 09:42 AM.
BlackKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 01:00 PM   #11
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

let a noob drive my car

race off road

...yes

Yes...only my brother HA

run a NTC3 hing pin in a TC3....2 laps

the price is always the same as what i tell my mom....

nothin yet..but its coming, i can soo see it

I can keep up

slop

If i dont care, its a white body with blue wing, but if i wana have a nice car, it off to my painter

Both

never!!! if you cheat, do you really win???

nope

End point and how fast

yes for a few laps, till i broke

dont got any

a week

both

hell yeah
Alex_kipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 02:07 AM   #12
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutfluff
2) Most stupid thing you’ve done in RC?
read this thread!!!
oldnwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 03:57 AM   #13
Tech Master

ANS:8

ANS:Too Many to remember

ANS:Let faster cars pass in quilifying

ANS:Hell NO!!

ANS:Hell Yeah..!! That prick deserved what was served!!

ANS:I'll just change the part...

ANS:I do modified prices on all my RC purchases ...

ANS:A swollen shin from a 1/8 buggy!!

ANS:Average Joe

ANS: (a)

ANS:Only paint test bodies. Paint scheme racing bodies done by a friend of mine.

ANS:Yes

ANS:Cut the track?! I'll need a some heavy machinery!! Kidding...
I'll cut the track unintentionally.Eg,got hack and flow to the other side of track.

ANSepends...Everyone at the track are Friends...

ANS:What the..... Its Expo and end point ad...

ANS:How can I video tape at the same time I'm driving?!

ANS:Occaionally

ANS:4 Days...I didn't want to touch my car for another month!

ANS:LHS

ANS:Nope,I'm slacking at work!! Hope my boss's no Rc-er!!

Last edited by Ben.C; 10-31-2005 at 04:30 AM.
Ben.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 06:25 AM   #14
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

A: 2

A: Drove an onroad car off a set of stairs

A: Completing and hopefully doing weel in our National Championships next weekend

A: No

A: Yes

A: Tried to hold a battery in a TL-01 with tape. Not very long.

A: New charger and batteries. I'm a student and blew two weeks pay on these, but told my mum I always had the batteries and was borrowing the charger

A: Having hot solder drip on my leg. Still have the scar.

A: Reasonable

A: Gluing Tires

A: Yes. No.

A: I ask people questions

A: Yes. No.

A: No

A: End Point and rate of turn

A: 4

A: LHS

A: Yes, and I'm also putting off studying for my exams
Old 10-31-2005, 07:00 AM   #15
Tech Elite

2) let others ruin my fun.
Mason is offline   Reply With Quote