R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-20-2005, 12:18 AM   #181
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to crimson eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRX-S Bill
Maybe you guys need to take a look see at Stockton Raceway's latest track layout. 12' wide lanes are history. Ruben Benitez heard some guys concerns earlier and took extensive action with a new layout. Only heard praise about the more technical track we used this past weekend.

No more "freeway" track here. I understand that better photos of the track are coming soon.

Bill
8' lanes, trust me, I measured them.

Chris
crimson eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 12:49 AM   #182
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by insideline
I agree... 12 foot lanes... Sounds more like the ROAR Oval Nats than the Road course.

This always happens when big carpet races leave the Midwest/Northeast and Northern states. Vegas, Florida and California layouts are always 10 foot wide and then some. Boring, wide open racing. Yuk!

On the National level... the track should challenge the racer, almost to the point of intial frustration. Something where you have to work at getting faster and faster, working the track, examining lines and getting better and better with each practice run. Not something where you are turning to more horsepower after 1 practice.
You are entitled to you opinion, but it is not shared by everyone. We had a great track at Stockton this past weekend (with 8 foot lanes). Part technical and part fast. I would rather have a track with some room to race on as opposed to a track with no room to pass and its just follow the leader for 5 (or 8) minutes. Or take the leader out as the only way to pass. I'm getting tired of the idea that a track has to be the way "we" do it or its not a proper track, but thats just my opinion.
jrrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 07:30 AM   #183
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

J. Way to go on the 19t race.

the rug is definetly your friend. ha.
ahsikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 07:31 AM   #184
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I get to still wait another year 07 snowbirds to get a chance to run on it again.
ahsikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 08:02 AM   #185
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to crimson eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrrc
You are entitled to you opinion, but it is not shared by everyone. We had a great track at Stockton this past weekend (with 8 foot lanes). Part technical and part fast. I would rather have a track with some room to race on as opposed to a track with no room to pass and its just follow the leader for 5 (or 8) minutes. Or take the leader out as the only way to pass. I'm getting tired of the idea that a track has to be the way "we" do it or its not a proper track, but thats just my opinion.
Excellent point JR,

Part of the reason for going to other tracks is to see how other people race and learn to race that way, making yourself a better driver and a better wrencher. I've seen some strange stuff over the years, I'm sure Bill will agree as we have both raced in Scotland and it's just funky up there, but still enjoyable. The Layout at Stockton this weekend seemed to have just about everything, it was a different design and it had good fast parts and good slow parts. To do a good lap you needed a fast car which handled well.

Chris
crimson eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 08:17 AM   #186
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Chris ..... just a minor correction. There were some 10' lanes, the daigonal straight and the left side sweeper, otherwise everything else was 8' or 9'.

Jim ..... I have to agree with you. We will not run a track at the Nationals that is a follow the leader track and you have to pass thru someone and not around them. I have never done so and will never do so.

What ever the layout ends up being at the nationals I guarantee a couple of things. It will not be as Jim described, it will have a mix of fast and technical. It will be a good racing/passing track for both 12th and 10th scale cars. Who ever said it had to or needed to be "On the National level... the track should challenge the racer, almost to the point of intial frustration. Something where you have to work at getting faster and faster, working the track, examining lines and getting better and better with each practice run. Not something where you are turning to more horsepower after 1 practice." does not understand how to design a track or run a race. How does designing a track that you can't pass on make for better racing? How does designing a track that is so dificult to race on when you'll only get 4-6 practice runs on make for a better race? I've seen the small tight tracks that are prevalant throught the midwest and east and I can tell you one thing I would sure hate to race on track where it was so tight that I couldn't make a clean pass on the leader when he's slower than me. Do you really think people like passing thru someone for position because there's not enough room to pass, because you think the layout should be the way it's done in other parts of the country? I don't think so, in our part of the country we call driving like that HACKING, and no one likes a hack.

I have resisted posting anything on this subject but I'm getting tired of hearing abobut what it should be or what it needs to be. The track will have lane sizes per ROAR rules. We will do it the way we think it should be done and if thats not good enough for those of you that always drive on 36'x70' tracks with 6'-8' lanes then I appologize now. Our track will provide the best ROAR race in recent years WITHOUT A DOUBT. Oh ..... and the track will be top notch. Nuff said.

Last edited by schurcr; 12-20-2005 at 08:30 AM.
schurcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 10:57 AM   #187
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to Dawn Sanchez

dangit.. my bad... I opened and posted on the wrong thread...

never mind James and Robbie!! LOL
Dawn Sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 11:24 AM   #188
Tech Champion

I honestly believe that there will always be someone to complain about any big race now. I mean come on now, everyone that has ever actually been to a race at stockton knows the kind of show RTB and his crew put on and his layouts for big races are very good. The purpose of a NATIONAL race moving around the country is to get a taste of each regions idea of a good race and I have no doubt the carpet nats will be one of the best carpet nats since 2002, the last time Stockton hosted them.
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361
Matt Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 11:36 AM   #189
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I don't know why someone would think a narrow track would be harder. By being so narrow you are regulated to just following the track. On wider lanes there would be more passing and the tightest line will not always be the fastest line.
Francis M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 12:01 PM   #190
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

No matter how wide the track is, Matt Singh will always be able to find a way to hack the leader while being lapped. I learned it the hard way at the NWCC.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:24 PM   #191
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonedgti
No matter how wide the track is, Matt Singh will always be able to find a way to hack the leader while being lapped. I learned it the hard way at the NWCC.

Ain't that the truth!!
team green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 12:27 PM   #192
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

After last years nats, this has got to be great.
Rick Worth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 01:20 PM   #193
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Howard
The purpose of a NATIONAL race moving around the country is to get a taste of each regions idea of a good race and I have no doubt the carpet nats will be one of the best carpet nats since 2002, the last time Stockton hosted them.
The Gate in Cleveland, OH put on a heck of a good ROAR Carpet Nats in 2004 with a killer layout and a great facility.
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 03:25 PM   #194
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayhuang
The Gate in Cleveland, OH put on a heck of a good ROAR Carpet Nats in 2004 with a killer layout and a great facility.
I didn't mean to put down any other track, just trying to confirm that Stockton has hosted a carpet nats before and they did a good job
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361
Matt Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 03:29 PM   #195
Tech Regular

Matt.........you coming
jrrc is offline   Reply With Quote