We call it magic drops
loopedeloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 04:01 PM   #32
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default oil......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper1
what's so good about the Mobil 1 0-30? our bearings are spinning a lot faster than 6000rpms.
Mobil 1 is a proven product. Been around for years, and has a good rep. Costs $5 a quart. Literally a lifetime supply.

Who know's what's in "superfast rocket science special oil for RC cars" that is sold by the RC vendors? Which costs $5 or more for just a few cc's. Could be repackaged Mobil 1, or it might be bacon grease for all we know.
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 04:40 PM   #33
Tech Fanatic

That's true,Manning,I've heard that the heating and soaking in Mobil1 method is the very best you can do.
Hyper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 05:29 PM   #34
B4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Clean the bearings with Shellite and than use a PTFE additive that you would add to your car engine as a lube. Wipe the bearings and put them back in the car and away you go.
B4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 05:48 PM   #35
Tech Regular

Quote:
That's true,Manning,I've heard that the heating and soaking in Mobil1 method is the very best you can do.
Can you give instructions on this method. I have heard of it before but thought it was a joke.
mtc3od is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 11:36 PM   #36
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtc3od
Can you give instructions on this method. I have heard of it before but thought it was a joke.
I've posted this method few hours ago. Here it is again.

Get a tin can and put your bearings inside. Spray your bearings in the can with WD-40 until soaked. Heat the can's bottom with low fire (from a stove or burner) for about 2 mins. Heating it will help the lubricant get to all the areas inside the bearings. Use gloves because the can get very hot. Shake the can sideways for a minute after heating. It will remove all the dirt stuck into it wihile shaking. Then take the bearings out and let it cool down then wipe it with clean clothe or spary with compressor. Your bearings should be ready. No need for any other lubricants. It's very effective.

It's up to you which oil or lubricant you prefer. I use WD-40 instead of gear or motor oils which you can also try.

Note: If you use WD-40, keep the fire low because WD-40 is flammable. Be very careful when heating. Do it outdoors.

Old 10-30-2005, 02:27 AM   #37
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan
An oil that survives the heat and pressure inside your engine at 6000 rpm, should be able to cope with a ball bearing, right?

Mobil 1 0W-30

Uh, were first of all, we are talking bearing, ball bearings.
There is very little friction in a BALL bearing. Whereas engines have bearings that are acctually bushings. And even in the bearings at the c-hub or whatever, the final drive being as low as 8:1 at 40,000 RPM (electric mod speed) is 5,000 RPM at the wheel bearings. Even higher at motor and other dirve train parts.

Furthermore, bearings have very little friction, therefor heat to deal with unless on the motor itself... Therefore viscosity and heat are not much of a factor on other bearings other than on the motor.
PitCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 02:42 AM   #38
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to stefan

Quote:
what's so good about the Mobil 1 0-30? our bearings are spinning a lot faster than 6000rpms.
Which ones?

Only the two in your motor.

If your axle bearing on a TC would spin at 6000 rpm, your car would be 70,084 km/h or 43,530 MpH fast.

Not even on the oval in Easley
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 04:08 AM   #39
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Props to all the guys who use Mobil one oil. A top quality, proven product that can handle the stress we put our bearing through with ease!

It's good to see some common sense rather then just buying the last "super-hi-flow-low friction-unbelieveably fantastic-will even cook your dinner" type lubricants that many r/c manufacters have supposedly specially developed

Through time and a bit of effort, it's possible to find the exact same products for a far better price - everythingh from oils, to diff lubes to comm drops to motor cleaners. The right stuff is out there, you just have to look for it.

BTW when you can get at least 6 months running (racing every 2 weeks) from an off road car on dusty tracks without the bearings feeling gritty at all then I'd say the oil (Mobil 1) is doing a pretty good job
FIR#2 - "You can't buy this much talent"
Durango Dex410 - Schumacher Cougar SV - Top Photon
bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 04:16 AM   #40
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to stefan

It just has to have the cool sticker on the bottle

Trinity sold re-bottled Marvel Mistery Oil as com drops for ages at horrendous prices and people bought it like there was no tomorrow.

Big Jim lifted the secret years ago and Trinity came out with something new, with another cool sticker and I suppose people are yet buying it.

Another example is Serpents one way lube. It's nothing but cheap household oil, bacause anything with additives would make the one way bearing slip.
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 05:59 AM   #41
Tech Adept

i could see the advantages from the mobil one but i still think the prolong is better.It was even recommended by Big Jim ,other than the Tribo.
BatJam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 06:09 AM   #42
Tech Elite

for my nitro motor bearings and all metal parts in my nitro motor i use microlon.

for my bearings i clena then so there is no grease then i use microlon (soaked bearings in this for 1 week or so, then mobile 1.

my bearings spin super smooth.
VenomWorldOrder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 07:26 AM   #43
Tech Adept

mobil 1 hey? next time i change my big cars oil iíll have to nick some for my bearings.

But until then i just use lrpís ball bearing oil, seems to do its job. canít remember the last time i cleaned and re-oil the bearings and they are all still running nice and smooth.
Old 10-30-2005, 07:30 AM   #44
Tech Elite

rc professor oil works good for motor bearings. So I guess it would be fine for drivetrain bearings as well.
ChadCapece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 07:53 AM   #45
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Shookie Send a message via MSN to Mr. Shookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pops
It is pretty thin, yet it seems to coat very well and stays in place. They use to give away samples to everyboday, I even got some of their grease, works very well for your outdrive slides.
I know if it is good enough for our fighting men and women in the desert than it has to be good enough to keep some simple bearings lubed..
You know I think everyone has a thery or way they treat there bearings...but I have watched the pros and they just clean them with motor spray and make sure they spin free then put some thin type luburcant in there to keep them spinning free. It isn;t rocket science. I figured the lubricant that is thin, puts a good film on the bearing so it will last a while and doesn't attract dust...***COUGH***COUGH***WD40***COUGH***COUGH will be perfect..So I will try the miltec stuff and see what I think...If it works as well and or better that I will continue to use it...LOL
Thanks for link...
-Shookie <><
All who love the LORD JESUS I praise with you.1 Cor 10:31
Team HOLY Rollers (Team Manager)
The Church is a Hospital for Sinners not a Museum for Saints.
RcTech Feedback <>< RC Tech Subcriber #92
Mr. Shookie is offline   Reply With Quote