R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-31-2005, 02:47 PM   #121
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyd
Yeah but I bet in the last 5 years no one has won more races than the TC3/TC4. I would think Xray has a long way to go to catch Associated in that aspect.
Yeah but you know how RC is..What have you done for me lately.. We are a very unforgiving group as a whole.I do think that this has been brought up before..but..You can take an Xray or an RDX put it together out of the box and its fast(this is on carpet)not much set up work needed,TC4 needs work outa the box and the kit set up does not seem to work that well on carpet,so with an Xray or RDX it's instant gratification,build it race it be fast now.This is not so with the TC4.I did have a few TC4's but the car did not seem to suit my driving style..I like a car that turns.. j/k
Old 10-31-2005, 02:57 PM   #122
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyd
Yeah but I bet in the last 5 years no one has won more races than the TC3/TC4. I would think Xray has a long way to go to catch Associated in that aspect.

That's hardly the argument though, The TC3 is STILL capable of winning races. And way back when there were only two comptitive cars. Now there are SEVERAL competent cars. The topic of the thread is the FTTC4, and it hasn't really proven itself yet. The RDX, FK05, 415, and Cyclone have come up with most of the victories worldwide lately.
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 05:42 PM   #123
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcracenut
Thats the first person I have heard of that didnt like the Xray.
Open your eyes brother. The FK05's I have driven are decent but the FK04 was a pile for me on rubbers. TC4's and JRX-S's are two of the most underestimated cars in RC. The euros are taking advantage of how lazy us Americans are and designing cars that don't need any work out of the box and selling them and their parts for crazy prices! LOL

What happened to the true American way? If you put in some effort, anything can happen

Last edited by BlackKat; 10-31-2005 at 06:27 PM.
BlackKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 05:46 PM   #124
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 52 (96%+)

LOL
1 Corinthians 10:31 ...whatever you do, do it all to the glory of God.
S&N Trackside Hobbies
Innovative Hobbies and Raceway
Clark RC race park
rcracenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 05:58 PM   #125
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackKat
Open your eyes brother. The FK05's I have driven are decent but the FK04 was a pile for me on rubbers. TC4's and JRX-S's are two of the most underestimated cars in RC. The euros are taking advantage of how stupid and lazy us Americans are and designing cars that don't need any work out of the box and selling them and their parts for crazy prices!

What happened to the true American way? If you put in some effort, anything can happen
I agree with that to a certain extent. Like most other racers here, I'm not above doing a little extra shimming, degreasing, or clearancing to make sure that the car performs consistently.....that's a given if you want to be competitive. But I also like to feel like I'm getting my money's worth when I buy something. Now, when you pull an Xray chassis out of the box and the edges are sanded smooth, the suspension parts need NO hand-fitting, and everything's still tight after a few race meetings (not sure about the FK05....strictly speaking from my experience with my EVO2), it's hard to argue with paying a little more for that luxury

But oddly enough, like it's been said before, I guess it just comes down to which chassis is the flavor-of-the-minute, as we've seen that almost any car can be made to work properly with enough effort.....just so happens that some require less reworking than others
SMcpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 05:59 PM   #126
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbull
The last I heard, Jimmy had given up on both the X Ray and the Barracuda and was back to winning.... with a Tamiya.

Same with Chris Kerswell - Barracuda to RDX. I don't think he's lost a race since changing to the RDX.
I saw him three weeks ago, hes running the Xray for sure.

And regards the build quality of the tamiya and Tc4 among others, i ditched my tamiya for reasons among others due to the amount of play in the car, especially in the front, you just couldnt set camber, massive amount of movement.
On the Xray, i can set however much camber i like and it stays, and hardly any movement. I could probably move between -4 and 0 on the tamiya when it was set to -2. However, it did provide good results, but i cant say that it filled me with confidence when setting it up.
berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 06:11 PM   #127
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by berger
I saw him three weeks ago, hes running the Xray for sure.

And regards the build quality of the tamiya and Tc4 among others, i ditched my tamiya for reasons among others due to the amount of play in the car, especially in the front, you just couldnt set camber, massive amount of movement.
On the Xray, i can set however much camber i like and it stays, and hardly any movement. I could probably move between -4 and 0 on the tamiya when it was set to -2. However, it did provide good results, but i cant say that it filled me with confidence when setting it up.
I've noticed that the majority of play in my 415 seems to come from the ballcups....can you confirm this, berger?
Old 10-31-2005, 06:22 PM   #128
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMcpot
But oddly enough, like it's been said before, I guess it just comes down to which chassis is the flavor-of-the-minute, as we've seen that almost any car can be made to work properly with enough effort.....just so happens that some require less reworking than others
Agreed

I noticed the same thing when I ran Tamiya. Ballcups were a big source of the slop
Old 10-31-2005, 06:22 PM   #129
Tech Addict

Quote:
I've noticed that the majority of play in my 415 seems to come from the ballcups....can you confirm this, berger?
That seemed to be about the only play I was getting out of my TC4. I looked at a pro 4 on saturday and it had just as much play/slop as any other car. I cant competely agree with paying more for a luxury that only cuts down on prep time. I like working on my cars during the week, its part of the hobby. So why pay more for 2 cars that are equally fast, just one you have to work on a little more?
runnin rc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 06:26 PM   #130
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin rc10
I like working on my cars during the week, its part of the hobby. So why pay more for 2 cars that are equally fast, just one you have to work on a little more?
Thats the way I think too.

The two things that I did to my TC4 drastically cut down on slop. 3Racing steering rack (re-tighten the ball studs after every raceday) and RPM ballcups. I've read that with the FT TC4 much of the slop is gone anyway.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:37 PM   #131
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Its that and the hubs i think, i had the evo 4, and have seen a friends 415ms and MSX, we both have had the rear alloy hubs which reduced play, but the front has loads.
berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 06:40 PM   #132
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 127 (100%+)
Default Ball cups

Try Schumacher ball grippas they are better than RPM and last 4-ever.
RED-LINE M03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 06:49 PM   #133
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED-LINE M03
Try Schumacher ball grippas they are better than RPM and last 4-ever.
I tried them, the cups fit better, but the tierods shift in the plastic threads just as much as the RPM ones during a collision. My cambers always off after just 2Q and the main. I don't hit hard that often and it's still off by 1-2 degrees. That was with my TC4, I'm hoping I'll have less with my new xray05.
RCknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 07:06 PM   #134
Tech Master

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin rc10
That seemed to be about the only play I was getting out of my TC4. I looked at a pro 4 on saturday and it had just as much play/slop as any other car. I cant competely agree with paying more for a luxury that only cuts down on prep time. I like working on my cars during the week, its part of the hobby. So why pay more for 2 cars that are equally fast, just one you have to work on a little more?
Actually, in my case, the pivotball-equipped EVO2 turned out being cheaper than my FT TC3 and TC4, simply because it already included the oneway ($50 in each instance), I didn't have to buy $60 worth of plastic to stiffen and lighten it (TC4), and it simply didn't break. I also remember that my EVO2 was very close in price to the FT TC3 when I bought it...kinda like when comparing the FT TC4 to the FK05

(As much as it sounds like it, I didn't come here to toot Xray's horn....just illustrating a point!)
Old 10-31-2005, 07:07 PM   #135
Tech Master

And thanks for the suggestions on the ballcups, guys....using the RPM ones on my TC4 and they could be tighter