R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-29-2005, 10:50 AM   #76
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

[QUOTE=Mdoc]
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbull
It's funny how critics of the TC3/4 always compare with X Ray and vice versa. It has only been available to the public less than 6 months. Having said that it has already won more big races in the last 6 months than X Ray have.QUOTE]

I guess thats just a difference in what you consider big races, Im not gonna make a list, but I dont remember the big race results that I have seen being dominated by the tc4
The reason why you "dont remember" is their are so few big wins..The Reedy race win was really a Tie,not an out rite win,came down to a long tie breaker.At my track their are 3 TC4's and all 3 of them seem to suffer from the same problem..no corner speed.. and no I'm not one of the Xray sheep..baaaah....baaaah
Old 10-29-2005, 11:13 AM   #77
Tech Initiate

I dont think whoever wins at the big races is of much relevance to the vast majority of club racers. At our club, we have had recent wins by TC3, TC4 Xray tfk05, T1R and yokomos, just to name the ones I can remeber. What it comes down to IMHO is that any of the main cars CAN win, as long as they are set up right, and have the best driver on the day.

At top level its a completely different game, yes we all like to see our favorite car in the winning circle, but it doesnt mean that us club drivers with the same car will go any faster!!!!

Anyway, in an attempt to respond to the initial question, AE have little chance of selling me an FTC4 because I am so dissappointed in the quality of the Team model. Sorry AE, but if anyone from the company is reading this, you should take note I am sure I am not alone with this view.....
AEDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 12:49 PM   #78
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

All i race is carpet and the FTTC4 just does not seem to have the balance that I'm looking for,I am familiar with "with the right set up any car can be fast" mantra.Here's the deal,I had a Team TC4 with a lot of hop ups on it,I had to do a lot of work in shimming and trying to remove some of the slop in the suspension,I did alot of "work" trying different set ups..etc.A friend of mine let me race his RDX,the first time i drove the car was in the Main.The 19T class,I had no practice with the car,first time I had ever driven the car I went 2 laps faster,Put laps on guys that i had never laped..ever.The RDX was brand new,bone stock set up.I now believe that the car matters more than I thought it did.Either that or the TC4 is lame
Old 10-29-2005, 01:32 PM   #79
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

I ran a TC4 (was an AE diehard since the mid '80s) on carpet a few times last year and my car really struggled in fast corners. I got rear ended by Xrays numerous times. Decided to wait until asphalt season to really make up my mind on the car. First day, broke 4 steering knuckles and the car didnt feel planted. Ordered a P-dub bumper and tried a different setup. Car was pretty good lap time wise but seemed to have a bad push.

After 2 days of trying everything from major spring changes and roll center changes to fine tuning toe and camber changes, I learned a couple things, car isn't very responsive to small changes in setup and to get steering you have to kill rear sidebite and the car gets really inconsistent this way. The car likes to push and I like a car with lots of steering. My TC4 and I had to part ways.

And I have never had to replace as many spur gears as I did on my TC4.
Old 10-29-2005, 03:45 PM   #80
Tech Regular

Myself I've been running the TC4 since January this year on both carpet and tarmac. On the carpet, ironically the car was one of the fastest things there (even running in standard spec), although the carpet was new so traction as a result not very high. Going out onto tarmac, I found initially I had a car which was pretty mega, and would carry a lot of corner speed whilst having a lot of front end bite (still running the standard spec). I then found however when I went over to the carbon parts, the car never felt as dialled. I know its more difficult to get a setup with carbon parts as its stiffer and more sensitive. The car would be fast, but be abit of a hand full to drive.
The latest thing I've added to it has been the BMI chassis, and I have to say outdoors I found it made a massive difference. I only ran it at one meeting, but then I was able to lap at similar speeds (around 0.1 sec) to a Sponsored (mirage) Xray driver. Even then the car didn't feel particularly good as I had no setup experience with the BMI.
Tomorrow will be my first meeting back since that last meet, and my first indoor this year, so I'll see how the BMI goes. It remains to be said however that belt drive cars so seem to have a edge in mod, particularly on dirty tracks, that or I haven't got a smooth enough throttle finger yet, lol.

Cheers
Crashmaster
Crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 04:09 PM   #81
Tech Adept

Default AETC4

This thread just seems to be slagging of the car I have had my team tc4 now since the first day I could get my hands on one. Now the obvious is yes there is some slop in the front end but a quick fix. For 90% of this is cured by the 3 racing steering rack, great product the other 10% was just 2 shims 1 each side the take up the slop to the arms. Now the other bit is the corner speed issue I suffered this at my 1st meeting looking over the car everything seemed fine no tweak all corners the same etc how many of you have measured the width of the car! With 24mm rubbers on the car is only 180-182mm wide 8-10mm shy of the 190mm the other cars seem to come in at the ones I have measured anyway? I got some deeper hexes and 4no 1mm wheel shims to get the car to 190mm and set back out to the track the car was so much better felt very good stable into and out of bends and the extra speed I was able to carry was so noticeable and it showed on my lap times and overall position.
You guys just need to look at what is in front of you not just blame the equipment thatís to easy and expensive I see guys buy this car that car in the end they do no better. They seem to do well for the first 2-3 weeks they seem to have confidence in the new car but it seems to settle back to the same times and pace. I know for a fact that top driver spend a lot of time on there cars despite what they say making sure nothing is over looked and left out. People need to think about there racing a bit more its like real motor sport if the car is under performing they donít just switch teams to a better one they work on it and make what they have work for them just put a little effort in and you will get a lot out.
The other thing set your car up yourself donít copy one of the internet or a mate that is quicker you will drive differently and will need to set the car up differently people who copy aint got a clue.
Just take a look and think about it and then drive it its all in the thumbs anyway and practice that makes the biggest difference in racing.
i.a.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 04:10 PM   #82
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Good luck finding team advise & set-up help with a X-ray.....

i feel you are wrong with this quote, maybe in your neck of the woods but check out Xray's website and special forum, thay have taken that extra step. more than i can say about AE or should we call the this years ferrari
kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 04:10 PM   #83
Tech Master

Quote:
Good luck finding team advise & set-up help with a X-ray.....

i feel you are wrong with this quote, maybe in your neck of the woods but check out Xray's website and special forum, thay have taken that extra step. more than i can say about AE or should we call them this years ferrari
kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 04:44 PM   #84
Tech Regular

There two ways of looking at it in terms of setup:
1) Having team setups is great because it means you can get a setup that will work and put it on the car and away you got
2) Having to test for ages to get a setup that works for you.

In the end, even if you have the best setup which has just been used to dominate a certain event with a certain driver, it by no way means that if you put it on your car you will instantly be fast. Everyone drives differently, and in the end something which suits one person doesn't suit the other. I've tried many factory drivers setups, and they don't always work. Others do. Like you say, its nice to have the setups there (in the case of xray in their own area), but at the same time you'll end up having to change the setup to your liking in order to get the most out of it.
Some of the best setups I've had have been done just to see what happens. They were completely differnt to everyone else, no body thought they would work, but they turned out to be some of the best setups I've ever created. Running a oneway in the wet on a tight track comes to mind . Won the race by 2 laps from an xray.....

Cheers
Crashmaster
Crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 05:22 PM   #85
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

FT-TC4 Doing VERY well at the Halloween Classic!!!

Looks like they may of worked out some goblins.

-Me
Soviet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 05:38 PM   #86
Tech Initiate

Default Shocks

If you have no corner speed you have way too much rebound in your shocks. Build them dead.
Surrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 06:12 PM   #87
Tech Addict
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to acyrier

What does that mean? "Build them dead" Is anybody using the GS silicone shock bladders instead of filling the cap w/oil? I have found this makes a much more consistant shock then trying to fillup the cap then connect the cap to the body..loosing oil...gaining air...little. Just curious.
www.fantomracing.com - www.discountrcstore.com
acyrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 06:22 PM   #88
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by acyrier
What does that mean? "Build them dead" Is anybody using the GS silicone shock bladders instead of filling the cap w/oil? I have found this makes a much more consistant shock then trying to fillup the cap then connect the cap to the body..loosing oil...gaining air...little. Just curious.

Building them "dead" means bleeding them until they have zero or very little (1-2mm) rebound.

1. Simply fill body to top, fill cap to top. Slap together. (Oil everywhere. I wear surgical gloves)

2. Shock should be VERY tight. Now unscrew cap until oil starts coming out the threads. (Do this over old towel or whatever, VERY MESSY)

3. Keep bleeding, wiping and checking rebound until they cease to rebound.

4. You now have a "Dead" shock.

-Me
Soviet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 06:26 PM   #89
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to stormperson

BTW i just want to state that all of my comments refer to carpet, as thats where my expeariance is...

Also just a note, for someone who is a middle of the road driver the xray is VERY easy to drive fast, one sponsored driver from another company commented, its like they packaged the box with driving skills. Every car builds the same (tc3's i remember werent always like that), i cant comment on losi's or corrallys, as i have not run them...

And as an overall statement of I havent lost in a club race in the past x weeks or years with y car, isnt worth very much. I am sure if you gave any nationally or worldwide competitive driver a car they could pretty much figure out how to make it work and be fast with it locally, and do a decent extent nationally or worldwide...
stormperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 08:02 PM   #90
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by losi_g+
Thats not quite right although i agree with what your saying!
The Helger guys are actually running a split more or less 50/50 on the Losi JRX-S and the Corally RDX.
The top three HPI drivers in the world - Surikarn, Moore, Hara are running the Cyclone over the Pro 4 but they are very similar cars.
As for XRAY in the UK, they dont seem to have a top end team any more, Moore switched to HPI/Hotbodies and Maddison switched to Alex Racing to run the Barracuda which probably explains why they are missing from UK national A finals. Having said that, they are still popular and competative at club level and on the world scene!
I meant to write mirage, just had helgar on the brain. Jimmy was running an Xray last time i saw him at the first round of the schumacher championship, he did pretty well with it too Taking 2nd place in qualifying in stock AND 19T, running two classes with such a quick turn around is hard enough, and making the front in both! He won 27T and was a bit unlucky, had a really bad start of 19T iirc so finished in the back half i think.
berger is offline   Reply With Quote