R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-28-2005, 04:56 PM   #61
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

As a racer in the Northeast where we have some tracks that produce good onroad numbers (40-50 club race) and we have some very good sponsored drivers (Stormperson being one of them)...I sit in the middle of the pack (ok, maybe towards the back end of the middle lol). Some days better others. I can get serious for two weeks and then be forced to not race for four weeks, etc due to work commitments. That being the case, I can't afford to run a car where a replacement car may be due out in the near future.

So, I was one of the first to run out and grab a FT TC4 to replace my aging XXX-S, due to the fact that I expected this car to perform better and to be around for a decent amount of time. BTW, I was able to beat some Xray and Corally guys with my XXX-S and I assumed that the switch to the TC4 would only decrease my times. Although the car is good, I must honestly say it is in my humble opinion not great when you are racing against tough competition. The quality is just not there...the shock towers move as if they’re on a swivel! Ya ya, I hear the TC4 die-hards, glue 'em but the end result is the same.

At the same time, a local racer who I have beat for years both onroad (approx. 2 laps) and offroad ( approx. 1 lap) switched from his current ride to an Xray and substantially improved. HONESTLY, he has closed the gap to half a lap onroad (where I admit having good Xray setups available to him helped more than anything), but still! I was floored as I was that guy who felt like it is ALL driver. I still feel that way, but a solid car definitely goes a long way.

Long story short, I am sticking with my TC4 FT. I am committed to this car until I can devote more time to my racing but when I have that time, I am making the switch. Every tenth of a second helps and the middle of the road racer needs that help as much as anyone.
Jeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 07:03 PM   #62
Tech Regular

I hear you, thats what i'm saying..you can't setup a car that constantly changes its suspension geometry because slopiness.
porsche928gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 07:18 PM   #63
Tech Regular

This is what I would check, make sure your towers don't flex much, check any play of the steering nuckles inside the c-hubs, test the car around a sharp turn coming into it hot and then going off the throttle when you get there. You don't want the car to understeer,causing it to loose all that momentum. Play with it adding more caster or increasing the antidive angle up front. Chalk the outer part of the tires to help you see the contact area the tires are making on the track. Check the droop with the car ready to run. Don't overdue the steering throw and make sure is even in both directions.
porsche928gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 01:20 AM   #64
imr
Tech Adept

First of all, I prefer shaft drive, but this is for the looks and thus a personal thing.

I have my FT tc4 for about 4 weeks now.
The car works great for me. I run 19t on carpet with rubber on short, technical tracks (10 sec. lap times).
At this moment I have already put a new lap record with the car, with the setup I found so far (9,85 sec.!)
So the cars works very good (again: for me).

When I get beaten, I get beaten by drivers who beat me with whatever car they run.
Whatever car I drive, it keep beating the ones I have beaten before, so its a driver thing, not a car thing.

But...I feel I can make some progress toward the better drivers with the FT TC4, and even challenge them for 1st place (I hope).

About costs:
I buy most of my stuff on the internet because it is much much cheaper than here in Belgium.
We group our orders to split shipping costs. I place the orders.
When I see the amount of money there is spend on option parts (and options not because they look nice, but really to make the car better) for xray, MI2, pro4, hotbodies,.... I'm very very pleased I bought the FT TC4!

About parts availability:
whatever shop I enter, whatever online store I visit, there is always a section ASSOCIATED parts.

So, for me the FT TC4 is the best car I could get (again: for myself).

Slop in the car? Yes, but before I had corally, yokomo and all had slop eventually, so that is no issue for me (no slop=everthing is stuck ).

FG
imr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 05:12 AM   #65
Tech Addict

Pretty much all I see in this thread is waaaa waaaa this car is better than that car because I don't have a clue what I'm doing with setup so I just run the box stock setup, and this car has a setup that suits my style better than that car so that other car MUST be crap.....
Old 10-29-2005, 05:54 AM   #66
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fathead
Pretty much all I see in this thread is waaaa waaaa this car is better than that car because I don't have a clue what I'm doing with setup so I just run the box stock setup, and this car has a setup that suits my style better than that car so that other car MUST be crap.....
To be honest, I am amazed that you can see through your computer and into other members car setups...impressive. LOL Actually nothing could be further from the truth in my situation, as I have worked and reworked my setup which is quite different from what comes with the kit. BTW, having the likes of Mike Dumas, Mark Symka, Eric Desrosiers (Associated sponsored), Mark Strasnick, etc. around at local tracks to ask for setup help doesn't hurt either.

I see you are currently running an absolutely dialed TC4 team kit on carpet in mod. When you get your FT version, check the torsional flex. Then check the towers. And please re-post and let me know what you think.
Jeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 06:09 AM   #67
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

My TC4 handled pretty well but would eat spurs gears or tranny gears when I ran a spool. For some reason the TC3 didn't due this. As for slop in the car to me it had no more than my super expensive Corally RDX, Pro4, 415 and my new JRXS. All mine have slop in a few runs. I just shim them as needed but I don't go over board.

No matter what a company makes people will complain. Alot of guys want the best feature of all cars to make one super car. Never going to happen because everyone has different features that they feel make the car good but no two drivers will 100% agree.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around)
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 07:46 AM   #68
Tech Master

It's funny how critics of the TC3/4 always compare with X Ray and vice versa. Just have a look through the last 3 pages and count the number of times Losi, Schumacher, Tamiya,Yokomo, and even Corally have been mentioned. Then count the number of mentions of X Ray. And this is a thread about the TC4.

To be honest I think it's unfair to compare the TC4FT with anything at this stage. It has only been available to the public less than 6 months. Having said that it has already won more big races in the last 6 months than X Ray have.

There is also another factor - carpet, foams, asphalt, rubber. Some cars are good some places some are good in others. There wasn't a single X Ray in the A at the Worlds for instance. If you look at Uk, X Ray just didn't feature in the A in the Nationals. Look at the Euros, TC3/4s won 3 of the last 4.

Now somebody will tell me that the driver counts for more than the car. That's usually the excuse when their car is loosing. I really don't understand this one. Just as I don't understand the complaints about slop. I have tinkered with almost every brand in my last 10 years in the RC business, and have yet to build a car that is totally slop free.But I object to paying top dollar for a car that comes with plastic shocks, and plastic suspension arm holders.
johnbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 08:43 AM   #69
Tech Adept

Johnbull make's a very good point! And i agree with him.
BatJam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 08:53 AM   #70
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbull
There is also another factor - carpet, foams, asphalt, rubber. Some cars are good some places some are good in others. There wasn't a single X Ray in the A at the Worlds for instance. If you look at Uk, X Ray just didn't feature in the A in the Nationals. Look at the Euros, TC3/4s won 3 of the last 4.
Maybe because all the Helgar/HPI drivers run the cyclone, and not the xray, so there arent any sponsored guys running it, and everyone in the A at the nationals is sponsored.
berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 08:57 AM   #71
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 127 (100%+)
Default Check Your Self

Check the lap times from the Nationals Barry was killing them in 19 turn.
RED-LINE M03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 09:23 AM   #72
Tech Initiate

Very interesting thread, my personal opinion:

I have a tc3 and tc4, and an xray T1R as yet unrun. TC3 seems to outhandle the TC4 although to be fair i need more tracktime with it. TC4 has so much slop in the suspension I doubt it worth setting it up with gauges etc, its much worse than the TC3.

In terms of build quality there just can be no comparision, Associated parts appear to be made from cheap recycled plastic that breaks far too easily (esp suspension arms), whilst the xray is not just produced, in my eyes, its "engineered"

I will try my 3 racing ssg chassis on my TC4 (but whats the point of a decent chassis with such sloppy suspension/steerng?), but I already know that my next car to replace the TC4 will be an xray, maybe an FTK 05, or I will wait for the 06.

If I had to choose between the TC3 and 4 it would be the TC3!

Now if xray would engineer a TC3 or 4, that would be some car!!!

In my view the TC3s and TC4s success is based on them having top drivers and putting the resource into winning (and good luck to them its good business!) but again, just because a car wins in the hands of an expert doesnt mean its the best for us mere mortals.

As stated these are my personal opinions, and not intended to offend/upset anyone. I only compare AE to Xray cos I happen to have both! and in case anyone thinks I am anti AE just remeber I have a TC3 and 4 that ihave spent my hard earned cash on, just trying to give my honest opinion!!!
AEDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 09:58 AM   #73
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

[QUOTE=johnbull]It's funny how critics of the TC3/4 always compare with X Ray and vice versa. It has only been available to the public less than 6 months. Having said that it has already won more big races in the last 6 months than X Ray have.QUOTE]

I guess thats just a difference in what you consider big races, Im not gonna make a list, but I dont remember the big race results that I have seen being dominated by the tc4
Mdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 10:01 AM   #74
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by berger
Maybe because all the Helgar/HPI drivers run the cyclone, and not the xray, so there arent any sponsored guys running it, and everyone in the A at the nationals is sponsored.
Thats not quite right although i agree with what your saying!
The Helger guys are actually running a split more or less 50/50 on the Losi JRX-S and the Corally RDX.
The top three HPI drivers in the world - Surikarn, Moore, Hara are running the Cyclone over the Pro 4 but they are very similar cars.
As for XRAY in the UK, they dont seem to have a top end team any more, Moore switched to HPI/Hotbodies and Maddison switched to Alex Racing to run the Barracuda which probably explains why they are missing from UK national A finals. Having said that, they are still popular and competative at club level and on the world scene!
losi_g+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 10:02 AM   #75
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEDave
Very interesting thread, my personal opinion:

In my view the TC3s and TC4s success is based on them having top drivers and putting the resource into winning (and good luck to them its good business!) but again, just because a car wins in the hands of an expert doesnt mean its the best for us mere mortals.

This is why running a Ae Tc-4 is your best choice...

Ae team driver`s are the best , which means you get the best advise on set-ups & parts developement ....

Also why the X-Ray`s are defeated by Tc-4`s all the time...

Good luck finding team advise & set-up help with a X-ray.....

Your on your own !

You need a Team like Ae`s helping you get the win`s......

Best Team = Fastest Car
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote