R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-28-2005, 12:02 PM   #31
Tech Fanatic

Location: A step closer to where I need to be a step further from where I was
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche928gs
So, in other words the tc4 is a good car for the money but in order to be at the highest level you have to buy aftermarket parts (bmi, ect) bringing the cost even higher if you would had bought a HPI,XRAY,Corally RDX,Yokomo,Tamiya ect. at first. Not very good economics there
Actually they where saying that to race the Hara you needed the extra chassis. The TC4 you just used the included spines to stiffen the car instead of another chassis.
RKeasler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 12:08 PM   #32
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche928gs
So, in other words the tc4 is a good car for the money but in order to be at the highest level you have to buy aftermarket parts (bmi, ect) bringing the cost even higher if you would had bought a HPI,XRAY,Corally RDX,Yokomo,Tamiya ect. at first. Not very good economics there
Hey, we were talking about the Factory team version when I said it'd save me money on the pro4 hara. Besides, how much money you spend on a car depends mostly on where and how you're racing it. They Xray would cost me $40 more and then I'd have to buy a diff and 3mm chassis to make it work for me on indoor carpet tracks. the TC4 FT is cheaper and already comes with a diff, plus it doesn't need new chassis' whenever I need to vary the stiffness of it. Much cheaper all round and as competetive too.

At the end of the day the driver matters more with any of the latest touring cars. The car helps, but they're all very capable of winning in the right hands.
ralph_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 12:12 PM   #33
Tech Regular

I completely understand what are you going thru. I was getting lapped constantly when I first had my tc3 running against the xrays on carpet. The thing is I could keep with them down the straight(sometimes faster), it was a different story around the turns, usually endind a sec slower per lap. Xrays just cornered better. There is about a $20 to $30 dollars difference between a ft tc4 and a xray fk05. This $20 or $30 bucks will ease a lot of frustrations.
porsche928gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 12:18 PM   #34
Tech Regular

By the way I'm still using my tc3 for Nascar oval and it is smoking fast for that. I won the summer series at my LHS and finish second in the champions race. only because a marshall step on the car as I was leading the race. So I'm not an Associated hater.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:20 PM   #35
Tech Addict
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to acyrier

Damn straight on the matching him/them on the straights. What I see is that 20-30 is just the straight kit price difference. (FTTC4 vs. fk05) Carpet..it's recommended to get the 3mm chassis as well as the front diff on the fk05... so that's roughly 360+65+35ish? That and my LHS doesn't carry xray parts..however, I'm trying to talk them into it. I also already have full spring kit for tc3 (same for tc4) = my ceramics can come out of the tc3 and into the tc4. But...I keep getting beat my that damn x-ray :-) decisions decisions. I had kinda settled in on buying an xray this past week, but havn't seen any used ones. However there's a $H!t load of tc4's for sale. THAT also is influencing me not buying a tc4 becuase there are so many people selling the ones they got. Some even FT's. However, the people that are selling the FT's might not be giving themselves enough time to really tweak the setup to make it run properly...but that's just a guess.

Good topic.
www.fantomracing.com - www.discountrcstore.com
acyrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 12:21 PM   #36
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph_c
Hey, we were talking about the Factory team version when I said it'd save me money on the pro4 hara. Besides, how much money you spend on a car depends mostly on where and how you're racing it. They Xray would cost me $40 more and then I'd have to buy a diff and 3mm chassis to make it work for me on indoor carpet tracks. the TC4 FT is cheaper and already comes with a diff, plus it doesn't need new chassis' whenever I need to vary the stiffness of it. Much cheaper all round and as competetive too.

At the end of the day the driver matters more with any of the latest touring cars. The car helps, but they're all very capable of winning in the right hands.
where are you getting your cars??? at my lhs the fk05 is $1 cheaper than the fttc4, and the 05 has a diff w/it

Awesomatix USA/Pyscho Cells Racing/Tekin/Sweep Racing/RSD/180 Raceway/Johns Mobile Raceway/TQ Wire/Avid/Sanwa
geeunit1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 12:28 PM   #37
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeunit1014
where are you getting your cars??? at my lhs the fk05 is $1 cheaper than the fttc4, and the 05 has a diff w/it
Not that I wnat to turn this into a comeptitive price/advertising thing...but I've never seen the 05 cheaper then the tc4...
http://www.speedtechrc.com/store/ebp...?catmainid=120
fttc4 = 350
t1fk05 = 370

I see the fttc4 for 330-340 and the fko5 as low as 350, but usually shipping is mroe expensive when the kit is that cheap..so they are getting their $.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:30 PM   #38
Tech Regular

There is definetely a good reason why you don't see a lot of them for sale. People are very happy with them! I still have an xray fk04 because I'm to cheap to change cars every year...and still fast enough to keep up with the 05's. Maybe I'll wait until the '06 comes out to change.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:38 PM   #39
Tech Adept

at stormer:

FK05 - $379.95 (comes with 'multi-diff' either one way, solid one way, or solid axle - not normal diff)
3mm chassis - $76.95
diff - $35.75

Total cost: $492.65

TC4 FT - $334.85 (seen it for $320 elsewhere. tc4 comes with diff and doesn't need a thicker chassis to make it stiff enough)

So I make that a $157.8 difference.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:41 PM   #40
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

dunno bout online, but my lhs sells them for $398 and $399, respectively
are u in europe, cause dosent europe get the car with the multidiff and america gets stuck w/ a regular diff?

Awesomatix USA/Pyscho Cells Racing/Tekin/Sweep Racing/RSD/180 Raceway/Johns Mobile Raceway/TQ Wire/Avid/Sanwa
geeunit1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 12:43 PM   #41
Tech Regular

More power to you guys if your happy with the decisions you made. Now track results speak for themselves
Old 10-28-2005, 12:44 PM   #42
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeunit1014
dunno bout online, but my lhs sells them for $398 and $399, respectively
are u in europe, cause dosent europe get the car with the multidiff and america gets stuck w/ a regular diff?
"Stuck with a regular diff?" If you run Carpet on foams a diff is exactly what you want!
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 12:44 PM   #43
Tech Adept

Porsche928gs - You seem very convinced about the Xrays being better (I'm not saying you're wrong as I haven't tried both), but from what you've said you're comparing the tc3 which is more than 5 years old with fairly modern xrays. Surely if you havent used the TC4 let alone the FT version you haven't really got a basis to say the tc4 FT is not at the same level as the Xray FK05

Having said that I know the Xrays are very nice cars, although the latest car didn't have the impact the previous models did. I've also heard its harder to work on than many of the latest cars.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:47 PM   #44
Tech Adept

from xray - "#305102 XRAY Multi-Diff™ set is an option part for the T1FK'05 in North America (USA & Canada). This Multi-Diff™ set is included as standard in kits in Europe and Asia."

geeunit - You are correct in saying that in europe we get the multi-diff. However, the point is that for the racing I do (and many other UK touring car drivers) we prefer standard diffs. A lot of UK clubs are indoor on carpet and many are quite small too.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:49 PM   #45
Tech Addict

Nope...I'm in Indiana. If your shop is selling them that high... you might wanna see if there is another shop near by. That's especially high for the associated product. I was hoping your shop was selling the fk05 for the 330ish mark. I would have called and ordered. :-)