Search

HPI Micro RS4 question

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2002, 11:19 AM
ttr
Tech Apprentice

Default HPI Micro RS4 question

HI,
my car was well planted on asphalt, but now on carpet it's impossible to drive. Entering the turn the car begins to turn a little than spins out (180 deg) abruptly even at slow speed. Diffs are good the car runs very good and predictible on asphalt.

Car is basicly stock BMW with HPI mod motor,
5 cell 1000mhA,
HPI rear ball diff,
HPI soft wide rear tires (with standard foam inserts)
HPI front steel universals.
The chassis in the rear is slotted to make it softer and the standard rear spring is removed.

What should I change to make this car at least driveable on carpet?

I have already put some spacers below the front springs to make it a more harder and this helped a little but not enough. (My LHS has no micro parts on stock, I have to order and wait a month, so I need some home made solutions)

I don't race the micro, it's just for fun. I race 1/10 since 3 years, but we don't have a category for micros.

Thanks
Tamas
Old 10-20-2002, 04:31 PM
Tech Master

I don't really run my car on carpet, but I would suggest that you get the carpet rear tires offered by HPI, and also put a rear spring back on. All cars run on carpet need stiffer set ups. Sometimes, when your settings are too soft, there could be problems. I think that the soft tires are gripping so much that the flex in the chassis is getting to be so great that it upsets the tires grip.
Just my thoughts, but do try a rear spring because I have found that the lack of a rear spring in my micro makes it unpredictable. Also you might want to slightly lossen your rear diff which will increase the rear's mechanical grip. i hope this may help.
I love my micro.
Old 10-20-2002, 09:48 PM
Tech Master

the soft tires are not very good for carpet, that's your problem, medium fronts work well on the rear
Old 10-21-2002, 12:14 AM
Tech Master

Medium fronts?!?
On the rear?
Does it really get that much grip on the rear tires with even standard rear tires!
Oh well, whatever works.