Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree73Likes

The Tamiya MF01 X Chassis Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 11:16 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Yep I have, but only used it indoors so far. Handles great but is a little slow with stock motor & esc. I've put in a brushless system but not run it yet.
Old 06-08-2016, 05:56 PM
Tech Initiate

Toon, I'll be giving my newly acquired MF01X a run out at Crewe, Montech Turbo 5 (Renault 5) this Friday along with the M05 ;-) will have to call up to Congleton (again) once you guys go back indoors :-)
Old 06-08-2016, 06:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (95%+)

hi I have a brand new jimny body complete with everything, manual, h parts, hardware, as well as tons of extra parts the red parts tree all complete except for the 2 bearing holders, all the hardware screws, kingpins, all the shafts(long one and all the inner shafts) all the dogbones and all the wheel shafts, all the suspension screws, spacers, bearings, and tons more all new not used, make and offer, located in Canada and willing to ship anywhere in lower states and Canada, pm is the key,

Old 06-09-2016, 09:31 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by 4_cell_racer
Toon, I'll be giving my newly acquired MF01X a run out at Crewe, Montech Turbo 5 (Renault 5) this Friday along with the M05 ;-) will have to call up to Congleton (again) once you guys go back indoors :-)
Hi, haven't been to Congleton for a few months now with working away during the week. Outdoors is great, you should give it a go. Minis are so much fun outside with 10 car heats !!

I ran the MF01X last night and won one of my heats. I was 1 sec off TQ. Car was great once I sorted the tyres ; softer on the front (?). I ran brushless 17.5t but was still a bit slower due to the weight of the car.

Question - does anyone else have gear mesh issues ? I've stripped one set of gears, and was re-meshing after each heat. I think that impacts cause motor movement. Anyone care to comment ?
Still loving the car.
Old 06-09-2016, 03:38 PM
Tech Master

I've not had an issue with it mate. Try some grab washers under the screws if they slip.

When you getting back to congelton? It's been ages since we last raced.
Old 06-09-2016, 11:46 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Qatmix
I've not had an issue with it mate. Try some grab washers under the screws if they slip.

When you getting back to congelton? It's been ages since we last raced.
Cheers Craig, there is a washer / bar under the screws which should help though.

I was hoping to get to Congleton last week but it was off due to low numbers. Not sure if I can make it this weekend. A bit difficult to escape as I'm working away.
Old 06-10-2016, 03:26 AM
Tech Master

I cant make this Sunday as I am doing the Iconic cup event with Max. I think it might be on next Sunday anyway (Fathers day) so I should be able to get a pass
Old 09-09-2016, 05:58 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Mini35
Another angle.
Originally Posted by Qatmix
I've done a review here. I'm loving this car it runs really well as a rally cross chassis

http://www.thercracer.com/2015/08/ta...imny-jb23.html
Nice!!!!

Where did you get the snorkel from?
Old 10-23-2016, 11:50 PM
Tech Addict

Is anyone still running this chassis? Or has the hype passed and everyone has moved on to a more "capable" chassis? It is sort of a hybrid. M-Chassis, 4WD, trail runner/scaler, possible mini TC?

I am looking for a second basher, more light off road as an alternative to my XV-01 (soon to be TC) which is currently set up for the street, low ground clearance and all. I also considered the CC-01.
  • From what I've read, it looks like a lot of the parts can be used with m05 and m06's?
  • Whats the maximum ground clearance?
  • Medium Length vs Long length setup, differences?
  • Gearing? Max/Min pinion sizes?
  • Your Pros/Cons?
  • Mandatory Upgrades? Like bearings and Oil Dampers, tires?

Both the Jimmy and Mercedes bodies look great to me. It looks to be Tamiyas introduction to a 4wd m-chassis racing class. I would assume you could put mini wheels as well as TC wheels on it. It looks pretty fun!

I pretty much only drive on my street and in my backyard which is dirt/grass/small rocks and flagstone. I've always wanted to try an m-chassis, and was really-close to getting a M05v2R. This chassis I know is less racy, more rally. Your thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks
Old 10-24-2016, 03:16 AM
Tech Master

Still use mine a lot. It is great for running in rally style conditions. I have not locked any diffs in mine (Just slapped some AW in the front to make it a little stiffer). I also bought some cheap tyres from Ebay which were a little larger than the kit ones, and gave it more clearance. so it is great ragging around on dirt paths.

A CC01 is better if you want to do more 'scale' type crawling along paths though. The MF01 is for the dirt rally, and the CC01 is for trails.
Old 10-24-2016, 11:15 AM
Tech Master

I'm currently in the process of building mine. However, I need to get longer ball ends for the oil shocks that I purchased to go with it. The Tamiya 5x8 ones are too short.
Old 10-24-2016, 02:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (95%+)

I still have the jimny body complete with wheels if anyone is looking for one, 35usd shipped
Old 10-25-2016, 04:13 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by 4roller
Is anyone still running this chassis? Or has the hype passed and everyone has moved on to a more "capable" chassis? It is sort of a hybrid. M-Chassis, 4WD, trail runner/scaler, possible mini TC?

I am looking for a second basher, more light off road as an alternative to my XV-01 (soon to be TC) which is currently set up for the street, low ground clearance and all. I also considered the CC-01.
  • From what I've read, it looks like a lot of the parts can be used with m05 and m06's?
  • Whats the maximum ground clearance?
  • Medium Length vs Long length setup, differences?
  • Gearing? Max/Min pinion sizes?
  • Your Pros/Cons?
  • Mandatory Upgrades? Like bearings and Oil Dampers, tires?

Both the Jimmy and Mercedes bodies look great to me. It looks to be Tamiyas introduction to a 4wd m-chassis racing class. I would assume you could put mini wheels as well as TC wheels on it. It looks pretty fun!

I pretty much only drive on my street and in my backyard which is dirt/grass/small rocks and flagstone. I've always wanted to try an m-chassis, and was really-close to getting a M05v2R. This chassis I know is less racy, more rally. Your thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks
All I will say is lower the expectations. It's absolutely not Tamiya's intro to 4wd M-chassis racing. Yes you can lower it and put Mini wheels on it but even with every hop up thrown at it it's too heavy and the centre of gravity is too high so it falls over under even moderate cornering loads on a grippy surface. I ran mine with either mini wheels and TC wheels, the result was the same. It's faster in a straight line than a conventional m-car but in the corners honestly it's hopeless much as I wish it wasn't. However if your not racing an m05v2r would also be overkill - kind of like using a NASCAR to fetch groceries. As said, a CC01 makes a better trail car but then again a stock Axial SCX10 would drop a modded to hell CC01 any day of the week. I love Tamiya and don't really go off brand but I also don't have any doubts about the limitations. Sorry to sound a bit preachy. Oh yeah I forgot, the stock rear suspension on the MF01X is garbage. It's compromised by the rear power take off for the prop shaft so you get half the down travel on the right compared to the left. And the rear dampers can only be stood vertically (or with a bit of ingenuity at about 5 degrees) which isn't great for racing either. And although the Yeah Racing long arm kit sort of fixes this it's too fragile for racing.
Old 11-13-2016, 09:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Almost ready...
Attached Thumbnails The Tamiya MF01 X Chassis Thread-image.jpg  
Old 11-14-2016, 10:19 AM
Tech Master

Mine is getting closer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.