R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-27-2005, 11:12 AM   #16
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayhuang
As a somewhat beginner-you will really enjoy the balanced-unaggrssive feel of the FK04. I LOVE the 04. I have driven a few packs with the FK05 and I dont doubt its superiority in aggressiveness and snappy turn in, but the 04 is a dream to drive. As my buddy once put it-its a Caddilac with rip.
Good point.
Un-sponsored Shoutout: NexusRacing.com
*** 301 Raceway is my home away from Home ***
teamgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 03:22 PM   #17
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamgp
Good point.
So you think staying with the FK04 is the wiser choice as well....
6g72tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 03:24 PM   #18
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Only problem with the 04 is that you will have to redo all your packs when you move to a newer car. Not many cars still use saddle packs.
jamescam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 03:25 PM   #19
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I agree, I have both. The 04 is alot easier to drive. The 05 is also a very good car, but much more agressive.
saabdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 04:15 PM   #20
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamescam
Only problem with the 04 is that you will have to redo all your packs when you move to a newer car. Not many cars still use saddle packs.
well soldering has never been a issue for me, plus it is only changing one wire to a battery bar.

Are the saddle packs that big of a deal, are they really bothersome?
Old 10-27-2005, 10:23 PM   #21
Tech Adept

pull it up for the nightime crew... Still hoping for a few more opinions
Old 10-27-2005, 11:17 PM   #22
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

i jumped from a XXXS to a used FK04 and i literrally jumped up 3 laps in one weekend. the 04 is a great car, but one of the main reasons i got rid of it was for the saddle packs, i race offroad and oval and having to mess with teh saddle's was a pain.

as a "rookie" the 04 will be great for you, but the 05 will be better. you just need to look at the cost benefit - will the extra few hundred bucks be worth it, i would say yes, the 05 seems like a great deal, and you can always sell it for close to what you paid. at the end of the carpet season, you might want to get rid of your onroad car, and your 04 will be worth less than the 05, b/c the rumor is there will be an 06 - just a rumor though...

i love xray, and i really truly believe you will be happy with either or - but i think if you spent the extra money, you would be glad you did...
Old 10-28-2005, 08:48 AM   #23
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6g72tt
So you think staying with the FK04 is the wiser choice as well....
It really depends. If you are the type of individual who trades in your real car, or any other toy/gadget, frequently for a newer one then get the 05, seeing as you'll want one soon after getting up to speed. But if you prefer stability and taking your time with most things in life, then the 04 is probably the better choice.
Un-sponsored Shoutout: NexusRacing.com
*** 301 Raceway is my home away from Home ***
teamgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 10:52 AM   #24
Tech Adept

well based on everyones comment, the score is 5 for the fk04, and 5 for the fk05.

Now does anyone know if the FK06 is a reality, probably for next year i presume. If it is then i think i will stick with the 04, learn to drive, then buy the fk06 when i am ready. If there is no car in the works for a while, i might as well get the fk05 and run it for this and next year.

What about durability as well, i know i will be hitting a few boards, so is either car more durable, i have heard xray's are tanks in general so it probably isn;t much of an issue with either car...
Old 10-28-2005, 01:55 PM   #25
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to stormperson

Having run both cars alot and both at big races, I actually prefer my 04 and wish i had it vegas. The 05 is a different animal and requires a different set up, although really in stock or even 19t I dont think the 05 is really any faster, however a fresh car is always easier to drive and a bit faster (and more consistant generally since it is easier to drive).

There will be an Fk06, just like there will be an fk07 and so on, they have come out with a car a year every year so far, no need to think they wouldnt this year.

The saddle packs on the 04 are more of apain (i had jason at bmi make me a custom chassis for taping to save weight, really didnt save alot, although it was okay since i figured out how to tape, lol) however some might disagree with me on this however having a battery strap acts as a brace on one side of the car and even with a stiff chassis (and espically with a thin one) there is a chance it can tweak it or give it different charactistics left to right under load...

Either way, you will probably be very happy with either car, the most important factor will be the condition the car is in and how worn it is.
stormperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 02:05 PM   #26
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormperson
Having run both cars alot and both at big races, I actually prefer my 04 and wish i had it vegas. The 05 is a different animal and requires a different set up, although really in stock or even 19t I dont think the 05 is really any faster, however a fresh car is always easier to drive and a bit faster (and more consistant generally since it is easier to drive).

There will be an Fk06, just like there will be an fk07 and so on, they have come out with a car a year every year so far, no need to think they wouldnt this year.

The saddle packs on the 04 are more of apain (i had jason at bmi make me a custom chassis for taping to save weight, really didnt save alot, although it was okay since i figured out how to tape, lol) however some might disagree with me on this however having a battery strap acts as a brace on one side of the car and even with a stiff chassis (and espically with a thin one) there is a chance it can tweak it or give it different charactistics left to right under load...

Either way, you will probably be very happy with either car, the most important factor will be the condition the car is in and how worn it is.
Wow thanks for the comments, i think i am going to stick with the 04. It just seems that the is no measurable differnce between the two, it seems like depending on your driving style you would be faster with either car. And since the fk04 is pretty much brand new, the and FK05 is brand new (only two races) wear is not to much of an issue. I will save my money for now, I think i will still buy the GTB setup as it seems like a win win situation, excellent brushed controller, super fast brushless.

Thanks for everyones help, their still apart of me that wants the newer carm but that it always the problem, you always want the newer bigger badder car, spreed control, tires, charger, etc....
Old 10-29-2005, 12:18 PM   #27
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

i think you made a wise choice - there is always a balance of getting the newest and best toy - to - the good enough for club racing and i still can win with it, but just not as cool as having the new toy toy.
Old 10-30-2005, 08:19 PM   #28
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I really find it funny how the XRAY FACTORY KIT 04 is now considered a car good enough for a rookie!! LOL Common guys the 04 is hardly a sport model now cuz the 05 is out. Yes there are huge changes but there are many a club racer out there that switched to the 05 to go back to the 04. There is no reason to consider the 04 a lesser car then the 05. A rookie car would be the RAYCER.

Anyway just my rant.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:17 AM   #29
Tech Adept

well now that the choice is made, does anyone have any links on building tips. I have ther manual to rebuild it, but was hopinh there might be some long standing tip and tricks I could use. I plan to tear the car right down and do a fresh rebuild so i know it is good to go. I am pretty meticulous and like to take my time, so if their is any good reading i can do before i start, all the better.

Sometimes I feel like I enjoy rebuilding and cleaning the car more than driving it.

Also does anyone know what basic cleaners, oils and lubricants i should have. I was thinking of picking up some different weight shock oils, and what do you use for diff lube, so many questions.....

thanks
Old 10-31-2005, 11:41 AM   #30
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to stormperson

Unlike some previous generation tourers (like the tc3 for instance which required 10 hours to build properly) you can build an fk04 in less than 5 properly. There really is no shimming required or machining. For foam tires to run the outside hole on the arm you have to grind to about 1mm less than flush the shock extenders, but thats pretty much it. The best set up that I have ever run for the car is Josh Cyrul's from cleveland last year, he was running a split chassis, however if you have the xray 3.5m chassis or a BMI 350 ( i ran a BMI, and loved it, its also lighter but just as stiff) which i would highly recommend just run the battery one forward on the left or regular on the bmi. Otherwise copy pretty much everything on there.

The diffs last a while, so you probably wont need to rebuild them, if you do just use standard stuff and it will work fine, stock the thrust bearing just comes oiled not with black grease, which works i guess, however i always prefered to put in black grease. And the stock blue shielded bearings are a bit fragile but dont need any work on them really, they are degreased and ready to go.
stormperson is offline   Reply With Quote