R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   trinity real time2 tips... (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/8841-trinity-real-time2-tips.html)

big al 10-19-2002 12:35 PM

trinity real time2 tips...

I just picked up a trinity realtime 2 and was wondering if any of you guys could give me some tips to utilize it best. I currently use sanyo 2400's and 1-3300 gp. Thanks--Al

patcollins 10-19-2002 03:36 PM

Dont use it on NiMH cells, for NiCads its pretty simple just stick em in there.

NiMH cells dont like to be taken down the way the RT2 does, will shorten your runtime.

The fan usually dies in them withing a few months, I just took mine out and its been fine.

TSR6 10-19-2002 04:47 PM

Originally posted by patcollins
The fan usually dies in them withing a few months, I just took mine out and its been fine.
Mine is a year + old, still going strong..

Flash Gordan 10-19-2002 06:31 PM

Originally posted by TSR6
Mine is a year + old, still going strong..
I bought mine used and I know it's over a year old. It's still going strong. But I also use it on my HV's.

dtm 10-19-2002 07:17 PM

The best mod you can do to the RT2? Internally wire up the leads of the fans to the battery posts. For the hole where the flyleads come out from put a switch there. Identify +ve and -ve posts (because it is necessary for the DC fan) and you can get rid of that wire for the fan..which always seems to get in the way at the pits!:nod:

TSR6 10-19-2002 08:47 PM

Originally posted by dtm
The best mod you can do to the RT2? Internally wire up the leads of the fans to the battery posts. For the hole where the flyleads come out from put a switch there. Identify +ve and -ve posts (because it is necessary for the DC fan) and you can get rid of that wire for the fan..which always seems to get in the way at the pits!:nod:
Dude! You da man!

Time to hack apart a old Hitec switch, and make some mods. :D

Edit - Only problem, sometimes i run it off my power supply...

-Troy

dtm 10-19-2002 09:02 PM

Originally posted by TSR6
Dude! You da man!

Time to hack apart a old Hitec switch, and make some mods. :D

Edit - Only problem, sometimes i run it off my power supply...

-Troy

haha.........just think..you can carry your RT2 anywhere without that PS line......:D :D

TSR6 10-19-2002 09:06 PM

Originally posted by dtm
haha.........just think..you can carry your RT2 anywhere without that PS line......:D :D
Hmm... new thought, Ill get one of those phone line spools... then i can carry it a good 10 feet away. :P

I would definately do this mod if i didnt run the RT2 off my P/S. :(

-T

dtm 10-19-2002 09:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
In true "Blue Peter" style (those from the UK will understand!)......heres one I did earlier!:D

TSR6- did you have to change the fan on your RT2 cause its only a 5v unit...or you have a 5v output from your PS?

TSR6 10-19-2002 09:37 PM

Originally posted by dtm
In true "Blue Peter" style (those from the UK will understand!)......heres one I did earlier!:D

TSR6- did you have to change the fan on your RT2 cause its only a 5v unit...or you have a 5v output from your PS?

Well, No i did not change the fan, heh.... But it hasnt blown up yet!

-Troy

big al 10-19-2002 09:41 PM

Hey tsr6,mine say 2.5 along the base and doesn't have the "discharge device" in between the cells like yours does. It has a synopsys of what do do for each type of cell (nicad/nimh) at each end. I guess mine is the "new and improved". It's probably the same damn thing!!

ausracer 10-20-2002 02:22 AM

i crank my power supply up to 15 volts for extra cooling power and its been good for 9 months.

rcpilot 10-20-2002 04:29 AM

Whats the difference between a Real Time 1 and a Real Time 2 Tray? I have RT1, is it worth upgrading?

patcollins 10-20-2002 05:48 AM

The RT 1 has to have the battery oriented in a certian way because it has voltage cutoff diodes (0.6V), the RT 2 doesnt have any voltage cutoffs and takes the cells down to 0V if you leave them in long enough, but this also allows the battery to be put in any way and it will work. This is great for NiCads but is kinda dangerous for some NiMH cells. Sanyos seem to like to be brought down to 0V and even dead shorted sometimes.

My fan died within 3 months and when I took it apart I saw it was only rated for 5V. If you discharge your packs to 5.4V before you put them in the tray it shouldnt get very hot even without the fan.

Ko Racer 10-20-2002 06:56 AM

Originally posted by dtm
dtm......thanks for the great tip :nod: I did mine last night
and it works great! no more wires in my way again :D