ball diffs

Old 07-03-2015, 08:42 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Not that I've ever heard of, but I would imagine it'd be difficult, as almost EVERY manufacturer has their own standards on what kind of diff spring to use & what tension to put on it(so one reading that works on one maker's car might work but may not on many others)....
Old 07-03-2015, 09:28 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Grizzbob
Not that I've ever heard of, but I would imagine it'd be difficult, as almost EVERY manufacturer has their own standards on what kind of diff spring to use & what tension to put on it(so one reading that works on one maker's car might work but may not on many others)....
True but the rule is tighten until it does not spin...you take two hexes or whatever you use to hold them...but being able to allow a little more slip or spin creates a cs effect which will definitely improve your lap times...full cs would be to much bc its like its set in stone...one ways are good to some...with a gauged amount of slip with the oneway will rotate smoother... the spool snatches so i dont prefer them...but its was just a thought that i had...
but dont forget the opposite can be done with the rear

Just thought about something the one way is for shafties...sorry for the confusion..hot-racing is releasing a oneway driveshaft for the slash 4x4 and a spool...sometimes i ponder too much
Old 07-03-2015, 09:49 PM
Suspended

I guess you could do the same with a belt drive..and all of those have the same rule for tuning your ball diff...the only problem would be being able to lock the tension so that it doesnt waiver...it would be pretty hard to make that hydrstatic diff for a belt drive also...

kinda like the not so long ago superior Audi a4 quatro...if they showed up to a race all of the were in front of every car so they banned them until they detuned them
Old 07-03-2015, 10:08 PM
Suspended

That is if you understood the equation...i knew how it worked i just had to ask someone what the hell i was thinkin about...its kinda like call customer service at rc companies..they dont like it when you know more about what they are selling...they dont like it not one bit...i would name the big one but these walls have eyes...they hang up on me a lot and try to make me feel dumb..or they put me on hold for 20min so that i can talk to the manager...
Old 07-03-2015, 10:38 PM
Suspended

The way i figured it out was bc 500 k wt diff fluid is not thick enough for associated makes 1000k i might get some to try it out but i doubt it would work either most of the cars I've seen on here have good characteristics but its in diffrent vehicles...i already have a Frankenstein truck/car. maybe I'll buy another car next month...but i still dont get how the ball diff works.. to me it seems more worse than a gear diff...I've watched videos on how to build them... but they unload too easily
Old 07-04-2015, 02:34 AM
Tech Master

This is why they are not standard any longer. Ball diffs require too much maintenance, which leads them to be inconsistent unless often maintained and rebuilt.
Old 07-04-2015, 02:43 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by M05 newbie
So 0000000. What do u recommend for a diff upgrade for a mini. Tamiya m05. I haven't removed the diff yet but it looks like a heft job and I'm due for repairs in there? So a high maintenance diff probably isn't recommended is it? Is gear a better option? If so why?
I run a 3racing spool in my M05. Did pretty well (4th overall in western canada). Others prefer gumming up an aftermarket diff with putty or 2 million grease.

The M05 does not come standard with a ball diff, nor do I recommend you use one. Once it losens up (and it will loosen up), you will spend plenty of time opening up the A-parts chassis, just to tighten up and inspect the ball diff.

I also do not recommend metal gears. The plastic gears are lighter, self lubricating, and are sacrificial. I'd rather change out a $4 set of gears, than replace the A-parts tree, internal shafts, and bearings.
Old 07-04-2015, 03:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by (0000000000)
The M05 does not come standard with a ball diff, nor do I recommend you use one. Once it losens up (and it will loosen up), you will spend plenty of time opening up the A-parts chassis, just to tighten up and inspect the ball diff.
It's interesting how we can have such different experiences. I run a very free ball diff in my M05, and do quite well with it. I haven't adjusted it in over a year. I tried running a tighter/more viscous diff when I first got the car, but my lap times were slower. I'm sure that has to do with driving style.
Old 07-04-2015, 12:26 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by howardcano
I'm sure that has to do with driving style.
it has everything to do with our driving style....i dont like to drive with brakes..i think they are set to about 20-25 percent....my controller is twitchy...if the wind blows my trigger, the car will take off...
Old 07-04-2015, 12:30 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by (0000000000)
This is why they are not standard any longer. Ball diffs require too much maintenance, which leads them to be inconsistent unless often maintained and rebuilt.
I guess i should be looking at the price and efficiency of the balls then..do you favor any..if so why...
Old 07-04-2015, 02:53 PM
Tech Addict

In my experience one rule applies. Your diff should be free to operate with absolutely no slip. If it does slip, you will hace reduced power and also too much steering on corner entry.

A slipping diff tends to slip under load when there is good grip, hence making it a burden.
Old 07-04-2015, 03:48 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by ixlr8nz
In my experience one rule applies. Your diff should be free to operate with absolutely no slip. If it does slip, you will hace reduced power and also too much steering on corner entry.

A slipping diff tends to slip under load when there is good grip, hence making it a burden.
Ok so now im guessing that the extra amount of slip would be attributed by a heavier car...
the static diff is definitely overkill for 1/10 onroad for that reason... it seems to be that we are all understanding the diff and characteristics of them... so i will say thank you
Old 07-05-2015, 02:28 PM
Tech Regular

Hey what about this guys. ....the stock diff... and take ear plugs and cut them up and put them in the diff to tighten the diff. This was suggested in another thread. I have a Tamiya m05 and I'm going to try it when I replace my gears I just ruined lol...thoughts on the ear plugs thing?? It's kind of like locking the diff up or gluing it.
Old 07-05-2015, 04:20 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by kongluc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5U3DLi1oATU

If i ever get the tools im building this one...
This is favored by me bc of the extreme speeds and control that it would create...but like with ball diff maintenance would become a problem...im no engineer but i wanted to be one...i don't understand the logic of paying 100's of thousand dollars just to be able to do what we do in our spare time....
Old 07-05-2015, 04:47 PM
Suspended

I would have paid all that money just to build this...the ends dont meet the means

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.