Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
1/10 Touring Car Kit for Fun on Asphalt, No Racing >

1/10 Touring Car Kit for Fun on Asphalt, No Racing

1/10 Touring Car Kit for Fun on Asphalt, No Racing

Old 07-01-2015, 08:10 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default 1/10 Touring Car Kit for Fun on Asphalt, No Racing

Yup - I used the search function. TOO many hits! You guys sure love to talk about your cars! That's awesome!

I originally started out reading the thread on the Associated TC4. HOLY MOLY - almost 14,000 posts over an 11-year period. WOW! Too much info to read in one evening, so I'm just gonna humbly make this post and ask for some advice.

I want to buy a 1/10 electric Touring Car for fun around my house. Zero racing! Although not mandatory, I'd prefer a kit since I love to build and modify. I don't need a car that can drift (I'll deal with that separately). I want it to be durable and have good parts availability (online ordering is fine). The car does not have to handle perfectly or have amazing adjustability because I will never race it. The driveline can be either shaft or belt.

Today, I looked at the Associated TC4 Kit onTowerHobbies for only $149 which seems fair to me. I have several different ESC's and motors to try on it (brushless). I'll custom paint a body of my choice. I think I even already have appropriate wheels and tires for it.

Ultimately, what I want to know is whether I should just buy the TC4 and be happy, or is there something more fitting of my request that I should be looking at? I am not against buying a copy of something else from HK if that is a viable option. I've had good luck with stuff from them.

OPTIONAL READING: I'm a seasoned off-road RC enthusiast with several different 1/10 and 1/8 scale buggies, truggies and monster trucks. My favorite bash spot is about 10 miles away. Therefore, I'd like to play around with a Touring Car in front of my house for fun only. It's a large cul-de-sac at the end of a 1/4 mile of road with almost no traffic. I've run my buggies out there, but they complain to me about the lack of jumps! It seems they get bored with it.

THANKS FOR YOUR ASSISTANCE!
Old 07-01-2015, 08:24 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

That is pre built. Since you are essentially bashing with it... good choice. Cheap parts...
Old 07-01-2015, 08:30 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Logi Maker View Post
That is pre built. Since you are essentially bashing with it... good choice. Cheap parts...
Thanks for the quick reply!

I guess I should have read the description better on the TC4. Since it had "Kit" in the title, I figured I could assemble it. However, I can always disassemble it, then put it back together again just to make sure all the applicable screws have loctite and that the diffs have the oil of my choice. It wouldn't be the first time I've done that to a new RC.
Old 07-02-2015, 02:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MailManX View Post
Yup - I used the search function. TOO many hits! You guys sure love to talk about your cars! That's awesome!

I originally started out reading the thread on the Associated TC4. HOLY MOLY - almost 14,000 posts over an 11-year period. WOW! Too much info to read in one evening, so I'm just gonna humbly make this post and ask for some advice.

I want to buy a 1/10 electric Touring Car for fun around my house. Zero racing! Although not mandatory, I'd prefer a kit since I love to build and modify. I don't need a car that can drift (I'll deal with that separately). I want it to be durable and have good parts availability (online ordering is fine). The car does not have to handle perfectly or have amazing adjustability because I will never race it. The driveline can be either shaft or belt.

Today, I looked at the Associated TC4 Kit onTowerHobbies for only $149 which seems fair to me. I have several different ESC's and motors to try on it (brushless). I'll custom paint a body of my choice. I think I even already have appropriate wheels and tires for it.

Ultimately, what I want to know is whether I should just buy the TC4 and be happy, or is there something more fitting of my request that I should be looking at? I am not against buying a copy of something else from HK if that is a viable option. I've had good luck with stuff from them.

OPTIONAL READING: I'm a seasoned off-road RC enthusiast with several different 1/10 and 1/8 scale buggies, truggies and monster trucks. My favorite bash spot is about 10 miles away. Therefore, I'd like to play around with a Touring Car in front of my house for fun only. It's a large cul-de-sac at the end of a 1/4 mile of road with almost no traffic. I've run my buggies out there, but they complain to me about the lack of jumps! It seems they get bored with it.

THANKS FOR YOUR ASSISTANCE!
Hello.

Have you looked into the RS4 Sport 3? It looks ok. Drivetrain looks bulletproof.

http://www.hpiracing.com/en/kit/114343

Regards.
Old 07-02-2015, 06:09 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Sakura and 3 Racing have kits for around $120. Either of them if built right will handle better than the TC4. However if your only goal is bashing in the driveway, the RTR TC4 and the HPI Sprint will most likely be your best options. They are both readily available at local shops and parts are not far away. They are tough as can be. Vaterra cars aren't bad either for playing.

If you even think you might want to race, you will want a better kit. Way better.
Old 07-02-2015, 06:22 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 152 (100%+)

There are two drive train options in sedans, belt drive or shaft drive. The least expensive belt drive sedan out there now is the Hobbyking TD10 that lists for $69.99. This is the 3Racing Sakura kit rebadged and sold by Hobbyking. I've had this kit and it works great, and you cannot beat the value.

A shaft drive car has advantages for pavement running as the drive train tends to be sealed. There are several sedans out there and the TC4 works well. It comes pre-built so that may be an issue for you. Tamiya has the TB-03 and the TB-04 as well as the TT-01 and TT-02 and the transmissions are fully sealed. Associated sells their Apex RTR kits as made by Thunder Tigre and they look nice too. The new HPI Sport 3 is a new player and also looks great. Not sure if this replaces their shaft drive E10.

I have a TB-03 for sale if interested.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...parts-lot.html

Last edited by SteveM; 07-02-2015 at 09:03 AM.
Old 07-02-2015, 10:21 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks for the responses on touring cars to consider in addition to the Associated TC4. I did go ahead and order the TC4 for from Tower along with some other things I was planning to purchase anyway. It helped me get to the next cut-in point for a discount coupon. However, I wouldn’t mind having two different TC’s since my son and grandson often drive RC’s with me, so I’ll look at the others, too.