Tech Addict

Default Formula "E"

I'm thinking this may interest a few of you out there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRy6uTpyAvw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mbQnZbdbmw
Old 06-30-2015, 09:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Looks like a stock F104, wish we could see the electronics better.
Attached Thumbnails Formula "E"-image.jpg  
Old 06-30-2015, 10:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

He said they made 11 stunt cars for the shoot. The car shown is just the standard layout. Nothing special. The new technology is just the marketing gag. The film crew for sure let everything look as if, but I don't think the invented technology was used, nor did she control the the car and not with her mobile phone...
Old 07-01-2015, 01:44 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by wtcc View Post
He said they made 11 stunt cars for the shoot. The car shown is just the standard layout. Nothing special. The new technology is just the marketing gag. The film crew for sure let everything look as if, but I don't think the invented technology was used, nor did she control the the car and not with her mobile phone...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJ6C07y2q6Q
Old 07-03-2015, 07:07 AM
Tech Addict

I tried watching the Formula E Series on TV a couple times. Ech....I turned it off both times. I just don't get it. The cars are slow and the sound of them is just aweful.
The only thing that sounds worse than Formula E cars is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cVlTeIATBs

Dale
Old 07-03-2015, 07:55 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

But then there is this:

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 07-03-2015, 12:22 PM
Tech Master

I agree they look slow, but aren't. It is more that the tires are far away from the grip level they should have.
The company I worked for some years ago, developed an e-car and it felt awesome, just like it looks in the video above. I can understand that as a viewer of racing on TV, sound is one important part as you cannot feel the forces. As a driver of an e-car I for myself never missed the sound of the combustion engine.
So I like e-cars a lot. Unfortunately the battery technology hasn't delivered the needed storage solution, yet.
Old 07-03-2015, 07:52 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I agree they look slow, but aren't. It is more that the tires are far away from the grip level they should have.
The company I worked for some years ago, developed an e-car and it felt awesome, just like it looks in the video above. I can understand that as a viewer of racing on TV, sound is one important part as you cannot feel the forces. As a driver of an e-car I for myself never missed the sound of the combustion engine.
So I like e-cars a lot. Unfortunately the battery technology hasn't delivered the needed storage solution, yet.
I dont know about that man..i haven't worked with anything like that...but batteries are catching up...check out the new lrp super shorty...i know how they build the baterry compartments on those cars..the super shorty is the same size and weight of a 2pole brushless motor..they dont have a lot of runtime..but they pack a 70c punch..with all the ways to wire them up..im pretty sure we can see some serious racing...and dont forget tesla has got that car (the heavier sedan) and it gets like 300 miles per charge..or was it 500. They no longer have to use those AA sized lipos for xmods..700mah aint much..like i said LRP super shorty 2600mah 7.4volts @ 70c

Thats a little 700 percent gain in power runtime and space

Last edited by kongluc; 07-03-2015 at 08:18 PM.
Old 07-04-2015, 01:41 AM
Tech Master

I was referring to 1:1 cars only.
The Tesla sedan is an awesome car.
The actual batteries are still too heavy, are very sensitive to low temperatures (a charge that lasts 500km in 25*C will be only good 300km or less in -X *C), still need rare elements, loose stamina year after year and still cost very much. And not to forget the charging time is several hours.
These are all problems that need to be solved in the upcoming years to make e-cars are full and better alternative.
Old 07-04-2015, 12:06 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I was referring to 1:1 cars only.
The Tesla sedan is an awesome car.
The actual batteries are still too heavy, are very sensitive to low temperatures (a charge that lasts 500km in 25*C will be only good 300km or less in -X *C), still need rare elements, loose stamina year after year and still cost very much. And not to forget the charging time is several hours.
These are all problems that need to be solved in the upcoming years to make e-cars are full and better alternative.
Yea i was speaking of 1:1 cars...tesla used a123 batteries on their older sportcar..if you remember that one...how do not know where the batteries they use come from...they are rc batteries mostly...i hope you dont think they fund themselves...WE fund THEM...
the better our batteries get...the better their batteries get

Like I've said before... I'm waiting on technology to catch up to me...
Old 07-04-2015, 01:10 PM
Tech Master

I don't think that our hobby will influence the great manufacturers as these bought all the important battery technology companies several years ago.

But you are dead right. There was a huge performance leap in the last five years. Lets hope it will continue