Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
need help w speed passion 21.5 motor >

need help w speed passion 21.5 motor

need help w speed passion 21.5 motor

Old 06-30-2015, 08:04 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default need help w speed passion 21.5 motor

Hi Guys,

I am new to this and the last 6 weeks I have bought 3 rc cars.

i have a question regarding speed passion 21.5 motor v3.0

Timing? whats the best timing for this motor?

I want more out of the motor ( more power more speed towards the straight)

Thanks
Old 06-30-2015, 08:07 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

There are too many variables to just be able to say "set your timing at XX degrees".

Often there is no "best" timing. It will change depending on other variables.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:07 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Double post...
Old 06-30-2015, 08:40 AM
Tech Apprentice

I see. How bout if I want a more smoother performance out if this motor?

It can only go to 10 degrees. Do I move the sensor thing to the right or left?

Sorry if my questions are bit vague.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:42 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Good motor

Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
Double post...
This motor seems fine since I'm new, but can u recommend a few good options for 21.5?
Old 06-30-2015, 09:34 AM
Tech Apprentice

Just moved sensor all the way to the right, motor seems to be making a more high pitch sound.
Old 06-30-2015, 09:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Just moved sensor all the way to the right, motor seems to be making a more high pitch sound.
yeah, that's not a good idea to move timing "all the way to the right".

-------
There are a lot of variables involved w/ timing of a motor like mentioned by Cosmo in a previous post.

But, here is a simplified explanation.
Timing adjusts the rpm of the motor, but at the cost of less torque and more strain on the motor. More strain on the motor will cause the motor to get hotter and lose performance. If you are new to RC driving (and I only say that because your new to this site and your asking about timing) then I wouldn't mess with timing and i'd leave at the factory setting until you read and learn more about motor timing (before experimenting).

Eventually you may want to adjust timing, but you'll also want to adjust your pinion gear at the same time and check motor temp's with motor timing adjustment. Also, I never recommend that you adjust timing as dramatically as you've done, ...you really want to adjust in small increments and monitor motor performance and temp's as you do each timing adjustment.

Over-heating a motor is the worst thing you can do to a motor, and adjusting the timing to max is the quickest way to over heat a motor and thus ruin it. When a motor gets too hot the glue that holds the magnets inside can come undone, not to mention a hot motor will actually run much worse than a cool motor.

If your hearing noise coming from your motor after adjusting to timing to the max as you've done, i'd immediately put the timing back at the stock setting and pray that the sound goes away and the motor runs strong.

----

when your ready to adjust motor timing, check the motor temp at the stock position after running the car for at least 5mins. Then make a small timing adjustment, run for 5mins ..note if the car runs faster (you may need to time it or if your competing against others this will be noticeable) then again take a motor temp' and see if the motor is running hotter? Keep doing this until you find the optimal speed and motor temp. I personally don't like my motors to go over 175' degrees Fahrenheit. I prefer in the 150-160 range. Also, a motor fan is recommended to keep temps down, as is adjusting the pinion gear. ...there is a lot more, but there are threads on this!
Old 06-30-2015, 09:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

double post...
(i believe something may be amiss w/ the forums today)?
Old 07-01-2015, 05:45 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thank u. U made it very easy for me to understand. Will set to middle setting first heat then make small adjustment as the heats progresses. Will use lap times as indication of performance. Also will be monitoring temp like u said