R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree16Likes

Old 01-17-2016, 03:00 PM   #541
Tech Regular

Had some time to work on installing my Yeah Racing kit...
1. Had to do some significant shimming of the lower arms, fortunately I have a plethora of orange anodized HB shims in my toolbox. The fronts were really bad.
2. My kit had 2 set screws that weren't machined for a hex driver (or any driver for that matter) so they are useless. Again, fortunately I had some extras of the same size.
3. My kit got shorted 1 ball ends for the front c-hubs. I am using my own HB hex head ball ends so not a big deal for me, but this is something to be aware of before buying or beginning to install the kit.
I'm disappointed because YR has been trouble free and great quality up until now for me. This kit is still worth purchasing and is a huge upgrade from the plastic stuff. Haven't installed the CVD's yet as I'm waiting on HPI to release the solid spool diff before doing the drivetrain.
wareagle84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 04:07 PM   #542
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted_Metal View Post
I purchased the last one. I think for $85 I was expecting more parts. A motor mount at least and probably adjustable turnbuckles. The chassis has to much flex in the center and begins to bow under stress. That needs fixing.
Yeah Racing will almost without a doubt eventually release aluminum upgrades for just about every part except the main chassis for this. Just hang in there.
Once HPI finally releases the upgrades for this chassis, the carbon fiber driveshaft cover should stiffen up the chassis a bit. Keep an eye on HPI, Exotek and Yeah Racing frequently as they release upgrades for this chassis.
Old 01-17-2016, 04:43 PM   #543
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I just finished up the Yeah Racing / Exotek upgrade kit and everything went together rather smoothly. I'm pretty methodical when it come to mods so I took my time and started with the drive train mods first. I spaced ordering the second alloy diff from Exotek and that came in the mail yesterday. The YR instructions are very small to read but if you take your time everything goes together perfectly. I spent some time manually rotating the front and rear Exotek alloy diffs after installation to work them in with the new grease. I used Tamiya diff grease and then built up the Exotek turnbuckles then added 4-Exotek PRO5 12MM clamping matching hexs to finish off the installation.

Someone asked what comes in the YR kit...

•Yeah Racing Aluminum Front Lower Arm Set For HPI RS4 Sport 3 Orange #RSS3-001OR
•Yeah Racing Aluminum Rear Lower Arm Set For HPI RS4 Sport 3 Orange #RSS3-002OR
•Yeah Racing Ball Bearing Aluminum C-Hub Set For HPI RS4 Sport 3 Orange #RSS3-003OR
•Yeah Racing Aluminum Front Knuckle Arm Set For HPI RS4 Sport 3 Orange #RSS3-004OR
•Yeah Racing Aluminum Rear Hub/Knuckle For HPI RS4 Sport 3 Orange #RSS3-005OR
•Yeah Racing Universal Shaft Set For HPI RS4 Sport 3 Orange #RSS3-006OR
•Yeah Racing Aluminum Ball Bearing Steering Arm Set For HPI RS4 Sport 3 Orange #RSS3-007OR

I posted some pics of the Exotek driveline upgrades installed in a previous post. I decided to keep the stock shocks for now until I can decide what upgraded aluminum shocks to go with on this car.
Attached Thumbnails
HPI RS4 Sport 3-20160117_132738_resized.jpg   HPI RS4 Sport 3-20160117_105030_resized.jpg   HPI RS4 Sport 3-20160117_132750_resized.jpg   HPI RS4 Sport 3-20160117_132811_resized.jpg   HPI RS4 Sport 3-20160117_133253_resized.jpg  

Cudacharger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 02:57 PM   #544
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cudacharger View Post
I just finished up the Yeah Racing / Exotek upgrade kit and everything went together rather smoothly. I'm pretty methodical when it come to mods so I took my time and started with the drive train mods first. I spaced ordering the second alloy diff from Exotek and that came in the mail yesterday. The YR instructions are very small to read but if you take your time everything goes together perfectly. I spent some time manually rotating the front and rear Exotek alloy diffs after installation to work them in with the new grease. I used Tamiya diff grease and then built up the Exotek turnbuckles then added 4-Exotek PRO5 12MM clamping matching hexs to finish off the installation.

Someone asked what comes in the YR kit...

•Yeah Racing Aluminum Front Lower Arm Set For HPI RS4 Sport 3 Orange #RSS3-001OR
•Yeah Racing Aluminum Rear Lower Arm Set For HPI RS4 Sport 3 Orange #RSS3-002OR
•Yeah Racing Ball Bearing Aluminum C-Hub Set For HPI RS4 Sport 3 Orange #RSS3-003OR
•Yeah Racing Aluminum Front Knuckle Arm Set For HPI RS4 Sport 3 Orange #RSS3-004OR
•Yeah Racing Aluminum Rear Hub/Knuckle For HPI RS4 Sport 3 Orange #RSS3-005OR
•Yeah Racing Universal Shaft Set For HPI RS4 Sport 3 Orange #RSS3-006OR
•Yeah Racing Aluminum Ball Bearing Steering Arm Set For HPI RS4 Sport 3 Orange #RSS3-007OR

I posted some pics of the Exotek driveline upgrades installed in a previous post. I decided to keep the stock shocks for now until I can decide what upgraded aluminum shocks to go with on this car.
That's a nice setup there.
Old 01-21-2016, 02:47 AM   #545
Tech Initiate

Hi guys

I am another user HPI RS4 sport 3. This car comes to me for review in "CochesRC" , forum of Spanish-speaking.

I have modified the chasis following the explanations of Mr.pink for use for Rally.....and im very happy whit it.

My question....the Yeah Racing upgrade is good only for on-road?.... and rally?

For race on circuit I have a MTS T2 an RGT R2,the HPI its only for out circuit and dirty surfaces

Thanks!!
HPI RS4 sport 3 BMW E30
SANWA M12
Olavarronsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 05:27 PM   #546
Tech Regular

Yeah Racing upgrade parts are up on eBay again, this time sold individually instead of as a kit.
GPM has some aluminum front and rear shock towers up also, only in purple and silver.
Look for GPM aluminum arms, knuckles and hubs in the near future, but be wary of their fit quality.
Old 01-21-2016, 05:31 PM   #547
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olavarronsen View Post
Hi guys

I am another user HPI RS4 sport 3. This car comes to me for review in "CochesRC" , forum of Spanish-speaking.

I have modified the chasis following the explanations of Mr.pink for use for Rally.....and im very happy whit it.

My question....the Yeah Racing upgrade is good only for on-road?.... and rally?

For race on circuit I have a MTS T2 an RGT R2,the HPI its only for out circuit and dirty surfaces

Thanks!!
I personally wouldn't run Yeah Racing aluminum off-road. They're not really designed for that type of abuse, plus when you inevitably bend one, it's more expensive and harder to replace than the stock plastic stuff.
Old 01-25-2016, 12:10 AM   #548
Tech Rookie

Well. . . my Yeah racing drive-shaft already suffered a massive failure. . .
Attached Thumbnails
HPI RS4 Sport 3-img_1061.jpg  
tweaksalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 10:42 AM   #549
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweaksalot View Post
Was the cause from a major front or rear wheel impact crash? If not I would think a replacement CVD is in order.
Cudacharger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 06:36 PM   #550
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweaksalot View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cudacharger View Post
Was the cause from a major front or rear wheel impact crash? If not I would think a replacement CVD is in order.
What Cuda said...I've been running YR CVD's in my Sprint 2 Flux for like 2 years now and still in great shape.
Old 01-25-2016, 09:57 PM   #551
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Selling my sport 3

Hey guys, I will be selling my sport 3 here shortly just have too get some pics and get it all cleaned up. It was put together for drift but the drift scene is dying out. Just giving a heads up In case anyone was interested on this particular forum, since it is the sport3.
Normajean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 08:05 AM   #552
Tech Rookie

Can someone verify if the axles issue is actually fixed in current releases ? Or is it still hit or miss with O-rings .. ?
Du7chManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 12:57 PM   #553
Tech Rookie

Hi all,
New member to the site but have been a guest for a few years now. First, hats off too all the great advice in this thread and also on this whole site! You guys rock!

I am looking at getting another touring car and was looking at this RS4 S3 Flux opposed to the TC4 kit. All the info I have gathered reading EVERY page of this thread over the past few days pretty sure I am going with the TC4. As an owner of a few sprint 2's and a WR8 Flux (which are great), It seems the only thing this car has going for it is the sealed drive shaft. It seems to be a great concept but looks like HPI has a long way to go with this chassis. I will keep my eye on it and hope it improves. Would like to pick up a roller if it becomes available to tinker with in the future. Seems it has a lot of potential once parts are consistency in stock and available for it.

Btw, any update on recently shipped cars having the same issues as previously mentioned?
Thanks y'all.
red1skin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 02:24 PM   #554
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Du7chManiac View Post
Can someone verify if the axles issue is actually fixed in current releases ? Or is it still hit or miss with O-rings .. ?
I can't speak for anyone else, but I purchased my Sport 3 Flux about 3 weeks ago and have absolutely dogged it. Haven't had a single issue with the dogbones/axles at all. Didn't heed the warning however of checking the spur gear mesh and destroyed it over the weekend.
Old 02-03-2016, 03:59 PM   #555
Tech Regular

HPI has updated all the new RS4 S3's with longer front dogbones. Whether or not you get one of the new ones depends on when the place you buy from got the one they sell you. I would imagine the initial batch(es) with the issue have all been sold, but you never know.