Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tekin rx8 funny smell still works >

Tekin rx8 funny smell still works

Tekin rx8 funny smell still works

Old 06-29-2015, 09:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Tekin rx8 funny smell still works

So I was running my tekin rx8 on 4s in a touring car. I was in the zone. Suddenly I lost all control of the car , heard a small ping and saw a small trail of smoke. Unplugged battery and smelt a bad burning smell . Esc was around 130 and motor 140 ish. I re plugged the battery and it works like nothing ever happened.... Besides the slight odar . Is my esc fried or what ? There's no obvious signs of over heating . Although I didn't pull anything apart
Old 06-29-2015, 02:15 PM
Tech Master

Investigate it more by nose. Motor, ESC and battery. Isolate it. Check battery voltage on be cell. A good battery charger will show voltage on each cell..
Old 06-29-2015, 04:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Geezatec View Post
Investigate it more by nose. Motor, ESC and battery. Isolate it. Check battery voltage on be cell. A good battery charger will show voltage on each cell..
Update, battery is working perfect, however . I pulled the esc apart and the middle cap is opened and funny smelling black stuff is every where. Although it still turns on and works perfect.
Old 06-29-2015, 07:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

What would cause a capacitor to explode?
Old 06-29-2015, 07:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

What causes escs to explode ?
Old 06-29-2015, 08:31 PM
Tech Master

Capacitor blow when it shorts out, especially electrolytic caps. Send it back to Tekins under warranty. Black soot has to be a FET. Never seen Caps blow soot, only paper.
Old 06-29-2015, 08:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

Capacitor blow when it shorts out, especially electrolytic caps. Send it back to Tekins under warranty. Black soot has to be a FET. Never seen Caps blow soot, only paper.
That's what I was thinking but honestly ., I never switch polarities or crashed it or over heated. This esc was a beast then out of left field this happened. And I can't send it under warrenty I bought the esc used . And another update. I plugged the battery up after pulling the back off and POOF it flamed. Although the circuit board looks brand new still. Does tekin have an off warrenty trade in? I don't want to spend top dollar for this esc again
Old 06-29-2015, 08:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

What do you mean black soot? And FET?
Old 06-29-2015, 08:58 PM
Tech Master

Black soot Like a charcoal power happens when power MOSFET(FET) shorts out and burns. Smell not pleasant, if happens inside home it lingers for days. most FETS are power FETS. You can sometime which has blown. FET may have carbon track found on top of FET.

They may give you a new one under warranty wont know till you talk or email Tekins
Old 06-29-2015, 09:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Black soot Like a charcoal power happens when power MOSFET(FET) shorts out and burns. Smell not pleasant, if happens inside home it lingers for days. most FETS are power FETS. You can sometime which has blown. FET may have carbon track found on top of FET.
Sooo this stuff is highly toxic and I shouldn't smell it lol. Anyway does it make any sense how that could have happened with no logical sign of shortage?
Old 06-29-2015, 09:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

You seem pretty smart. Can you explain to me what a cap actually does in our esc's? I almost melted the plastic casing on my viper vtx10 from running a very fast motor in a tc
Old 06-29-2015, 09:11 PM
Tech Master

Electronic nothing but a phenomenon. RX8 rated to run 2s- 6cell. yours blowin could happen to anyone. Its like you vehicle running and wont start all of a sudden, They diagnose as ignition problems. it just happens!!!
Old 06-29-2015, 09:15 PM
Tech Master

Caps do two things, Filtering on AC. Storage of battery voltage on DC. RC deals with DC, so Caps are use as storage( Battery)
Old 06-29-2015, 09:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Electronic nothing but a phenomenon. RX8 rated to run 2s- 6cell. yours blowin could happen to anyone. Its like you vehicle running and wont start all of a sudden, They diagnose as ignition problems. it just happens!!!
What a pain, it happened on braking too lol Luckly I wasn't moving fast when it went out. Does tekin have a repair system?
Old 06-29-2015, 09:17 PM
Tech Master

Which moto You using??

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.