R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-25-2005, 06:37 AM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
FYI - the associated springs will fit the pro4.
sweet. i am leaning so far towards the Pro 4 that i am almost falling over.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:17 AM   #17
Tech Initiate

I have owned the TC4 and the Pro4, I just sold all my TC4 stuff and the car. The TC4 shocks are a pain to keep filled, even after dumping the cheap plastic caps that come with them and buying aluminum, they leak. The setup for asphalt is a pain to get right on the TC4, I finally emulated the Pro4 setup and with some experimenting got it to handle. Out of the box, the Pro4 is a much better asphalt car. Lastly, the arms on the TC4 break all the time, even from a brush with the boards. This is not the case with the Pro4.

Oh and the plastic TC4 diff's did not hold up to modified racing, but the Pro4's do. I race a small tight asphalt track with wooden boards and found that both cars worked best with a spool in the front and a rear diff. I had to swap out the plastic diff in the TC4 rear with a lightened steel diff to keep it running. The lightened steel diff needs the 3926 TC3 rebuild kit to assemble it, since it does not use D-rings. It gets pricey! Add $40 bucks to your budget, and I'd recommend it even for 19T.
thepitcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 10:19 AM   #18
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

i am in the same boat deciding between the vanilla pro4 and the factory tc4. more opinions would be appreciated. thanks!
Old 10-25-2005, 10:20 AM   #19
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnkitty2002
sweet. i am leaning so far towards the Pro 4 that i am almost falling over.
Be cool like me and get a Pro 4
jamescam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 12:28 PM   #20
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepitcrew
I have owned the TC4 and the Pro4, I just sold all my TC4 stuff and the car. The TC4 shocks are a pain to keep filled, even after dumping the cheap plastic caps that come with them and buying aluminum, they leak. The setup for asphalt is a pain to get right on the TC4, I finally emulated the Pro4 setup and with some experimenting got it to handle. Out of the box, the Pro4 is a much better asphalt car. Lastly, the arms on the TC4 break all the time, even from a brush with the boards. This is not the case with the Pro4.

Oh and the plastic TC4 diff's did not hold up to modified racing, but the Pro4's do. I race a small tight asphalt track with wooden boards and found that both cars worked best with a spool in the front and a rear diff. I had to swap out the plastic diff in the TC4 rear with a lightened steel diff to keep it running. The lightened steel diff needs the 3926 TC3 rebuild kit to assemble it, since it does not use D-rings. It gets pricey! Add $40 bucks to your budget, and I'd recommend it even for 19T.
While I agree with your comments on the weak outdrives on the TC4, note that the FT TC4 comes with the lightened steel outdrives, so there is no extra cost. Also, I don't care for the Team TC4 handling, but again all reviews say that the FT TC4 handles much better.

Take a look at this review for some very positive comments on the Pro4 Hara.

http://www.rc411.com/pages/reviews.php?review=39&page=1

Ira
iblumberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 12:54 PM   #21
Tech Initiate

Yes, I noticed that the Factory Team version went to the lightened steel diff's. That was a smart move (though adds weight and spool up time).

The TC4 to Pro4 comparison in Car Action was on carpet and the stiffness of the TC4 I'm sure helped it a lot. If you study the pictures, you'll see that the Pro4 was not using the Hara upper deck. That is a stock or 3mm upper deck. The Hara deck even with a stiffner in the middle would have been soft on carpet. I would love to see this comparison re-run on Asphalt.

If you buy the stock Pro4, I have found that dropping to the number two shock pistons and AE 30wt oil, and using the Hara setup, and grinding 2.5mm off the upper deck on each side of the middle, gives a pretty close approxiamtion of the Hara. (USE a mask when grinding)
thepitcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 01:05 PM   #22
Tech Regular

I read it in CA and they seem to all agree that if you install the thicker decks, the HPI would be the faster car. It sold me an will have my HPI in a few days with the 3mm chassis
kyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 01:32 PM   #23
Tech Addict

Go for Pro 4 dude!
Old 10-25-2005, 05:10 PM   #24
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Pro 4 it is!!!
Old 10-25-2005, 08:21 PM   #25
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Chrisgt2 Send a message via Yahoo to Chrisgt2

I have an awesome Pro 4 with BMI chassis and many other mods for sale cheap if anyone is interested

Its mint

Vogan
Franchise Racing Products
The Raceway - Beaver, PA
Chrisgt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 01:06 PM   #26
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepitcrew
Yes, I noticed that the Factory Team version went to the lightened steel diff's. That was a smart move (though adds weight and spool up time).

The TC4 to Pro4 comparison in Car Action was on carpet and the stiffness of the TC4 I'm sure helped it a lot. If you study the pictures, you'll see that the Pro4 was not using the Hara upper deck. That is a stock or 3mm upper deck. The Hara deck even with a stiffner in the middle would have been soft on carpet. I would love to see this comparison re-run on Asphalt.

If you buy the stock Pro4, I have found that dropping to the number two shock pistons and AE 30wt oil, and using the Hara setup, and grinding 2.5mm off the upper deck on each side of the middle, gives a pretty close approxiamtion of the Hara. (USE a mask when grinding)

Not just the thicker decks but they tested the PRO 4 with a spool on FOAMS. Nobody runs FOAMS and a spool. If they'd have put a diff in the front of the Pro 4 it would've been no contest.
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote